10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2009 1:05 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

How to Best Use our Points

mmbell419 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi.  My husband has traveled alot for business and has about 300,000 points that we would like to use for our family a little getaway.  Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the most bang out of them.  I thought about using the vacation special package where you get a 7 night hotel stay and so many airmiles or credits.  I would use this with southwest and wondered if anyone had done this and how well it worked out.  Thanks.

Mindi

• Re: How to Best Use our Points
    4everontheroad Platinum

Hi:

Marriott rewards vary by each hotel.  Check out the deals sections at the top and flex your dates around.  Also look at the Marriott Rewards emails...they are loaded with deals and Reward codes.  Also search a general area...for example, my wife and I love Hawaii, Maui the best, but I search the whole islands and sometimes can find a much better deal for points at other islands...It takes a lot of time, but I am usually successful.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

scouter Platinum

The best deal is to trade in 135,000 Marriott points for 1,000$ of Marriott Cash.   You then can take advantage of any hotel specials that you find around the world and you get to use the cash for food and activities.  The best part is that you also get points for the hotel stay which puts Marriott points back into your account.

Most Hotels will have specials so you spend less money then what the points are worth.  The Marriott cash is good for 1 year and comes in $50 increments.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

girish_joshi Gold

The poster who suggested 135K points for 1K cash really intrigued me.   So I wanted to look into it a bit more, and I'm not sure it makes sense unless you can find a really good deal on the hotel otherwise.

For one stay, you can only spend ~130 points at Cat 6 or Cat 7 hotels

Eg. at the JW Marriott in Hawaii (the cheapest Cat 7 I could find)

5 nights for 130K points

Cheapest room available $250/night.   5 nights = $1250.  Not a good deal, but it is still close to a wash given the flexibility and the fact that you get bonus points for using cash.

A more typical example for a Cat 7 is about $500/night.  5 nights = $2500.  Definitely a bad deal.

For a Category 6 the cheapest deal I could find was at 

Myrtle Beach Resort and Spa 

7 nights = 130K points

$112/night.  7 nights = ~$800.  Definitely a good deal!

Typically a Cat 6 costs  $235/night.  7 nights = $1700.  Not a great deal.

So all in all, if you use your points efficiently, I don't think getting the cash makes sense.  The only way it could make sense is if you can use the cash for discounted room rates.

jkmadison Platinum
    We have used the Hawaii hotel sampler rewards package (150K) 3 island hopper twice and loved it. We have stayed in KoOlina,Oahu  Wailea Beach,Maui  and Kauai Beach Club. We used extra points to upgrade our room in Maui. We actually went to 2 islands, if you ask the rewards reservations, they can issue you 2 two night certificates for one hotel (they don't like to tell you this. Another good way to use your points is to book a stay at a Marriott Vacation Club property(reward code 396). Look under "rewards" there is a listing by Property and number of nights.

militarywife Platinum

Re 135k points for $1000

This was a "duh!" moment for me. We very rarely use our points because we are military/AAA and often travel with seniors and if you are flexible, the discounts can be substantial.

So if you qualify for the discounts, this could definitely be beneficial!

donq50 Platinum
    We used points for a 7 day travel package (200,000) and then some additional points for additional room and air credits and took 6 adults to St. Thomas.  It was more than your 300,000, but I have found (at least for me) the best deal is the 7 day package.  If you book air far enough in advance and get the seats at the lower number of miles required you can usually get 4 tickets from the package.  If you wait too long you have to use twice as many miles to get the seats.  I haven't used it on Southwest so I haven't studied the best deal there.

richnlin Platinum
    We have been members since 1995 and currently own three Cypress Harbor weeks along with one Boston Custom House week.  We use points constantly as we have never stayed at any of our home resorts!  We first pick a vacation spot, check the currency exchange rate, then book at least a year ahead of time.  You have to book early in order to obtain airline seats.  I check Expedia or Travelocity in order to find out who flys to the destination and then check with the airlines to find out the needed flyer miles.  The week package is usually the best deal. If extra miles are needed check the Marriott exchange as well as checking with the airlines to buy additional miles.  Also, check the airlines as to the amount of tax on the tickets.  We recently booked a ticket for our daughter from Los Angeles to London using our British Air miles and found the tax on the ticket to be $697.00!  Most airlines do not charge this ultra high rate.  The rewards program has been nothing but outstanding with us as we have been all over the world many times. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

RichnLin

"We currently own three Cypress Harbor weeks along with one Boston Custom House week.  We use points constantly as we have never stayed at any of our home resorts!" That a huge MVCI portfolio.  I also own in Orlando at the Palms on the Orlando World Center property and know several owners at Cypress Harbor. We love the Custom House especially around Christmas and have exchanged there many times. 

"The rewards program has been nothing but outstanding with us as we have been all over the world many times."  In the wake of the changes in the 2009 Marriott Rewards point redemption schedule, do you still feel the same about the program and why?

superchief1 Platinum

With the devaluation of points, I highly recommend exchanging MVC weeks into other MVC resorts rather than convert to points. This represents the best value for your investment, and there are great resorts in many popular locations. If more owners exchange their home resort rather than deposit for points, there will be more available for exchange.  

tjcnewyork Platinum

I'm with Superchief's recommendation on exchanging vacation resorts within the Marriott Vacation Club program. 

To get the "best bang" from points earned through business travel consider Pointsavers.  For example, Marriott announced the 3 for 2 Special Resort Redemption offer*

*  3 for 2 Special Offer

**  Participating Resort Locations

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...