6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2009 1:01 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Wireless Charges at Marriott - UGH!

darden624 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I generally love the various Marriott properties, but as a business and family event traveler, I shunning full-service Marriott Hotels in favor of the Courtyards and Springhills, etc.

There is no logical reason that a $12.95-$14.95 daily charge should be applied to use broadband access, when the less expensive properties provide the service for free.  When I have challenged desk supervisors about this charge, their common excuse is that "This is a Full-Service hotel."  That rationale makes zero sense, but seems to be the corporate mantra.

any others see the same nonsense??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Wireless Charges at Marriott - UGH!
    josephr Platinum
    I agree, it is expensive and I would think that they would at least provide internet for elite members. I just use my wireless card but that is a little slow at times.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

travellady Platinum

It's not true that wireless is "free" at Springhill Suites, Courtyard, etc.  The price of the service is built into the room rate.  In other words, everyone is buying wireless service at these types of hotels whether they actually use the service or not.  Marriott hotels give the guests an option whether they want to pay the fee or not instead of bundling wireless automatically into the price of the room. 

Consider using the free wireless in the concierge room (Renaissance hotels also offer this) and sometimes free wifi is available in the lobby. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Several Marriott brands are migrating to ibahn for broadband and the implementation has not been smooth.  Although I rely heavily upon my Blackberry, there are times when broadband is required.

For a paid service, it is reasonable to expect 100% reliability and uptime.  If it's not, there's a valid basis for requesting that the charge be removed due to the inconvenience the lack of service incurs.  For example, it is not uncommon for ibahn to go down, interrupt during upload/download and/or fail to connect. 

Once, I tried to connect for over 2 hours only to learn from the Front Desk that ibahn had crashed. The Front Desk apologized for the frustration and inconvenience, removed the charge and provided compensation. 

Rarely, if ever will the Front Desk challenge unreliable service or inconvenience as an argument to remove a charge.

Hope this helps.         

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

First of all, although Ibahn isn't perfect, it at least isn't unusable like I found Conquest Information systems to be at a recent courtyard stay.  Their support is also lacking and I actually had to check out of the hotel and stay at the competition.

Guest Tech had for years faulty software that frustrated Windows Vista users, but it seems to work now.  The biggest problem I see with I-bahn is that it is slow.  Also, how many people travel with a spouse or children that also have a computer?  It is one thing to pay $30 for internet access in Europe, but I really don't want to pay $60 so my wife can surf also.  Charging for wireless causes these problems.

Hotels in general and Marriott in partciular have to smarten up about their internet.  So far, in the past month, internet issues have caused Marriott to lose 14 nights of my business which in turn has cost me a lot of loyalty points, status, etc.  Although I stay in Marriott properties when I can (I'm in one now), for the times I do stay in a Hilton, I have NEVER had internet problems.  Not even once.  A far cry from Marriott's record. 

wolfcookie Gold 1 Reviews
    I have been traveling to Cairo, Egypt and staying at the JW Marriott in Mirage City.  Internet access in this property runs $50+ dollars a day which includes a 24% tax (one hour of use is $13.00+) .  Fortunately, this is considered a necessary business expense by my employer and I'm reimbursed.  I've asked and written to the hotel a number of time why access is so freaking expensive.  I have never received an answer.  Maybe someone from Marriott may read this posting and provide a justification for the rate.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Wolfcookie

That's outrageous.  In your case there is a business case to buy a broadband card and subscribe to a wireless broadband service through the vendor that your company currently uses for wireless.

At the rate you describe, the cost of the hardware and wireless services will amortize in two weeks or less.

TJCNewYork

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...