8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2012 12:04 PM by kingkamea RSS

No points for upgrades???

pgncdoc Gold
Currently Being Moderated
I recently had a wonderful Rewards stay, but upgraded to a nicer room, for which I paid $100/night- was disappointed to discover that I was not given "Marriott points" on the upgrade $700, because it was a certificate stay, even though it cost as much as a regular stay at some of the Marriott properties - have others had similar experiences?
  • Re: No points for upgrades???
    cynpaj Platinum

I just recently had the same issue.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kingkamea Platinum 1 Reviews

Can I ask why you had to PAY for an upgrade? Even on a Rewards stay, I'm always upgraded. Were you in some type of a suite?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Kingkamea and pgncdoc, it might be due to the fact that pgncdoc is a gold.  I am a gold also (and will likely never be platinum), and on my last stay on points at a Category 8 property, we had to pay for a room upgrade to get the larger room (the upgraded room was a lot larger at least).  Or maybe it differs from property to property?

In the rules, there's always that clause "...at participating properties."

I don't think so because gold members have the same room upgrade benefit as platinum members. Room upgrades are given based on availability at no additional cost. However, suites are not included in this "no-cost" upgrade.

I do agree with tef6178 in that even though points are not awarded for the reward room, the incidentals, including the room upgrade costs, are eligible for Marriott points. It's one of the reasons that whenever I eat in the hotel's restaurant or bar, I charge the costs to the room rather than pay separately with a credit card.

I will agree that the room upgrade benefit differs from property to property, because on more than one occassion I have found myself upgraded to the scenic parking lot view!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Agreed.  Any dollars spent at Marriott properties by MR members should receive points!  As far as free upgrades, after the MANY unfortunate stories I've read on this site about Platinums and PP's not being offered upgrades, well, I'm not surprised.  If it's not good enough for Platinums, then why would it be good enough for Golds?

I could be wrong, but I think that the frustration is more about an unfulfilled expectation level and that leads to these unfortunate stories. I agree that I am very disappointed when I arrive at a property and find out that my "upgraded" room means that I'm close to the elevator. And I'm finding this happens more often than not.

However, when I want to be upgraded into a suite I have learned several "tricks" that have gotten me some very nice accommodations ranging from Family Suites in Hawaii to the Presidential Suite in Downtown Chicago.

I don't think this is a "class or level" warfare issue, I think that as it has been mentioned in other posts, Marriott might want to reconsider how this benefit is utilized by issuing suite upgrade certificates (like Hyatt) or upgrading their concierge level rooms so that this issue is resolved at check-in.

Just a thought!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

pgncdoc:

Something seems to be amiss here. I understand that there are no points given for a certificate stay regarding what the cost of the room would have been, but all purchases of any type that have a dollar value for any reason should have been credited as points on your account. Let me put the logic in another way...I stay on a certificate and buy dinner at the hotel every night. When I check out, I have all the costs on my bill associated with the dinners. These are 'incidental' charges. Same with the 'upgrade' cost. I have always seen incidental charges of any type that have been paid credited to my rewards account as points regardless of the type of stay (certificate, rewards stay, etc.). If 'incidentals' are now not being credited that is something new to me.

I would suggest that you contact customer service and ask why these 'incidental' charges have not been credited to your Marriott Rewards points totals.

Good luck and please let us know the outcome!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Which hotel was this?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...