3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2008 12:57 AM by nwlikeshopping RSS

Maui and Waikiki

lesleyl Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Traveling to Hawaii in February and wondered if anyone has stayed at the Waikiki Marriott or the Wailea Beach Marriott in Maui.  Was on Trip Advisor and then wished I hadn't read everything I did.  Any tips re restaurants, beaches would be greatly appreciated.  Also, one question..do you have to pay the taxes when you use your points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Maui and Waikiki
    stoofy Gold 1 Reviews

My husband and I stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott for 3 nights on our honeymoon 3 years ago.  The rooms aren't huge or overly fancy, but were clean, modern, and you can't beat the location.  The balcony had a great, private view and the hotel's right across the street from the beach and on the main shopping street.  Didn't eat at the hotel, but the common areas were nice.  I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you have points to trade.

We didn't stay at the Wailea Beach Marriot in Maui, but spent a week at the Renaissance Wailea.  Unfortunately, that hotel doesn't seem to exist anymore, so though we thoroughly enjoyed it, it's no longer an option.  :(  It looks like the Wailea Marriott is just down the beach from where the Renaissance was, and the location is pristine and should have great snorkeling.  I'm a Marriott snob and highly doubt you can go wrong with a Marriott resort, despite what some reviews may say.  Enjoy!

In Maui, eat at Roy's.  It is a chain, but try it if you've never been.  It's not far from Wailea.  We also enjoyed Maui Thai in Kihei.

I don't remember paying taxes when using the points, but I think there was a trading fee.  The fee certainly paled in comparison to what those hotels would have cost in actual dollars!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stoofy Gold 1 Reviews

My husband and I stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott for 3 nights on our honeymoon 3 years ago.  The rooms aren't huge or overly fancy, but were clean, modern, and you can't beat the location.  The balcony had a great, private view and the hotel's right across the street from the beach and on the main shopping street.  Didn't eat at the hotel, but the common areas were nice.  I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you have points to trade.

We didn't stay at the Wailea Beach Marriot in Maui, but spent a week at the Renaissance Wailea.  Unfortunately, that hotel doesn't seem to exist anymore, so though we thoroughly enjoyed it, it's no longer an option.  :(  It looks like the Wailea Marriott is just down the beach from where the Renaissance was, and the location is pristine and should have great snorkeling.  I'm a Marriott snob and highly doubt you can go wrong with a Marriott resort, despite what some reviews may say.  Enjoy!

In Maui, eat at Roy's.  It is a chain, but try it if you've never been.  It's not far from Wailea.  We also enjoyed Maui Thai in Kihei.

I don't remember paying taxes when using the points, but I think there was a trading fee.  The fee certainly paled in comparison to what those hotels would have cost in actual dollars!

nwlikeshopping Silver 1 Reviews

Lesley,

If you're still reading....

I just returned from a quick mileage run to Maui.  It was my first time on the island and I stayed at the Wailea Beach Marriott.  I, too, was a bit worried by the online reviews, but after experiencing it, would definitely stay there again.

Getting there:  Best to rent a car.  The other alternatives are $38 airport shuttle transfers or $60-$70 taxi/limo transfers.

It has an outdoor lobby/reception/etc. area that reminds me of the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki; I don't know if this is typical of most Hawaiian resorts or not.  I like it, because it feels "different" from what I usually see in the continental US.

The bathroom fixtures seemed to be a bit older and perplexing (I had to call At Your Service to find out how to undo the stoppers on the sink and tub).  The floor of the room is tile, which I'm used to from travelling in the tropics (where even the nicer places I've stayed have tile floors for reasons of practicality and cooling), but others who aren't might see it and get a "motel" vibe.  The non-bed side of the wall is taken up by this long, low piece which is desk, TV stand, minibar and chest of drawers all in one, that had a Danish modern kind of look that I really liked (I want one for my house now!).

I agree with those that say that the bed is too soft.  There were places here and there in out of the way places around the property (not in my room, though) where the paint was a bit worn.  Those are the only two "faults" I found (and I've certainly seen worse "worn paint" at an $800/night resort on Hayman Island in Oz).

Dinner at the Mali restaurant at the hotel is somewhat expensive in that "captive audience" sort of way, but I absolutely loved everything I had there and the service was pretty good.  Since I didn't stray far from the hotel grounds, I'm not sure what else is out there other than the Ruth's Chris and Tommy Bahama at the little shopping center behind the hotel; since I can get those elsewhere, I opted for the hotel restaurant and enjoyed fresh seafood.

The pools are smaller and not as fancy as those at other resorts such as the Westin, but I really liked that the kids tended to stay near the kids pool, and away from the adult pool that is separated by some buildings from the kids pool.  I saw a number of people standing along the edge of the pool reading, sunhats and sunglasses on, just enjoying being in the water in a nice "vacation" sort of way.  Pool and hot tub hours officially end around 10:30pm, I think, but there didn't seem to be a high-pressure effort to enforce that.

There are two beaches near the hotel, one to the left (when facing the ocean) and one to the right.  I walked down to the one on the left, but found it more crowded (there was also a float/platform a ways out with a slide) than the one on the right.  The one on the right had a bit of a protected lava rock cove/reef area, and I enjoyed snorkeling there in the mornings - saw all sorts of brightly colored fish, anemone, turtles, and something someone told me was (yikes) an eel.  Others saw an octopus, which I'm kind of glad I missed.  On the days I was there, the ocean was very calm, and I thought nothing of going about 50-100m out into the water and just swimming back and forth along the shoreline without being in anyone's way, enjoying the view and the exercise.  I'm 5'6" and I was out past the point that I could touch bottom, but could still see through the water all the way to the bottom.

Someone there mentioned that they'd been staying at that hotel since even before it was a Marriott, and that one of the benefits of it being an older hotel is that many rooms are closer to the water than anything newer, due to changing regulations about how close to the shore one can build today.

Rather than buying your sunblock, etc. at the sundries stores in the shopping center behind the hotel, note that there is a Costco and K-Mart (and perhaps even Walmart) a couple blocks from the airport - walkable in nice weather, or an easy stop if you rent a car.

PS -- I'll be staying at the Waikiki Marriott for a night next weekend during a layover on my way to Australia, and will try to remember to stop by and share my impressions of it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...