19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2015 2:47 AM by doddsy69 RSS

Residence Inns

brklynrider Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Why do Residence Inn hotels only give 5 points for every dollar instead of 10 like Marriott, Courtyards, et al?  I have not stayed at a Residence Inn since 2000 because of this.  What gives and why won't they change that policy?  I can't be the only one steering clear of Residence Inns espeically when most of these are located near if not next to other Marriott properties. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Residence Inns
    pipanale Silver 4 Reviews
    I can't agree with your confusino more.  I travel up to a small town in PA 2-3X per month and have a choice of a Courtyard or a Res.  I'd much rather stay at the Res, but choose the CY becauseof points.  I essentially sacrifice sleep for points.  But then again...if given the choice, I think most of us would!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

cigargenius Platinum
    I have not stayed at a Residence Inn since prom night in 1991 because of the points trimming. They should change their policy and they would certainly gain more business from all of us.

702rugbyref Platinum

Lol..prom night in '91. Funny. I rarely will stay there because of the discount points myself.

traverriotter Gold

I agree with you that the reduced points at Residence Inns makes them a much less attractive option than Courtyards, that are usually nearby.

However, my biggest reason for avoiding Residence Inns (and my biggest issue with hotels in the USA) is the lack of healthy breakfast options.  Basically they serve high-fat meat and high glycemic index refined carbohydrate, on plastic (potentially plasticiser rich?) plates.  True - there is usually a bowl of chopped melon - but usually it is half-frozen and unappealing to those who want a hot but healthy breakfast. 

I cant be the only person who has an issue with the healthfulness of food in US hotels?

sellitman Platinum
    Carbs, carbs and more carbs are all most Hotels serve. I'd like to see something different every year too. Seems like whichever chain you use the most never varies their breakfast. 

kahunapremier Platinum

RI is the leading extended stay brand of Marriott and because of that, the value they are giving, 5 points is what Marriott values the return at.

Best thing to do is write and request at least 7 points per stay as I can't see 10 points per stay, but with Hilton Homewood Suites doing basically the "same" thing as RI, that might change.

Also, breakfast at RI is rather good, stayed at MANY of them throughout my travels. They do have fruit, yogurt, varied cereals as well as oatmeal so there is variety. The ONLY thing it doesn't offer is omlets, but at the RI, an extended stay hotel, you can cook that yourself.

Also, keep in mind that the social hours at RI are almost full featured meals-Managers Meals, which Hilton Homewood suites has copied.

Competition is good for both brands of hotels, but RI does offer a nice return of value. Recommend you stay at the RI in East Greenbush-one of the best RI around.

travelcat Gold
    I also would like to see more healthy options given for breakfast.  At least, better choices for yogurt and the addition of V8 juice.  All hotels understand the importance of having a good fitness center, but haven't gotten on board with food choices.

contessa Silver

Good question.  Wondered the same myself.

contessa Silver

Good question.  Wondered the same about the points system myself.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Good question, brklynrider.  I will reach out to our team to see if they can provide any clarity to this. 

Jsucool76 Gold

I always assumed RI and TPS as well as execustay and executive apartments offered lower rewards because they were extended stay branded hotels and Marriott didn't want you to get too many points. lol.

it is weird though, because it's not like the hotels are super cheap. I often see RIs for prices comparable to full service Marriotts.

ndn Platinum

Jsucool76, I would bet it is for differentiation and demand control. If RI offered 10 points, I would NEVER stay in a FFI or SHS property priced the same as RI in the same area. With only 5 points RI though, I sometimes DO choose to stay at SHS instead of RI.

Jsucool76 Gold

I totally get that.

The draw of a RI for me is the 2 bedroom suites. Usually travel with between 3-5 people, so it's nice to have. I'll only ever stay at a RI if the price for the 2br suites is right.

ndn Platinum

Oh I totally agree. The draw of RI to me is the door to the bedroom. My kid doesn't sleep in the same room as me, and getting adjoining rooms is a pain. For business stays, I used to have to choose between RI, FFI, and SHS sometimes, due to location of travel and price range. In my current position, I don't have to worry about that, and I stay almost exclusively at FS properties (JW, RC, Marriott). But in those previous companies, when traveling alone, I would often choose SHS instead of RI--only because of more points. I generally dislike FFI.

702rugbyref Platinum

Most excellent point!!!!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jsucool76,

These are wonderful points you have made here!  RI, 2-br suites are the "Mainstay" for me.  Even with just two, it makes a wonderful room to relax, have a meal, and have nice baths!

Thanks for continuing to add a lot to MRI!

702rugbyref Platinum

they are far from cheap and usually more in my experience.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi brklynrider! carat and team looked into this, and it turns out that the Residence Inn and Towneplace Suites properties are designed to cater to long term stay guests, which is they they only offer 5 points per dollar. Accordingly, their business model often allows for lower rates based upon the length of stay.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

I Tended to stay at ri because I travelled with kids and the 2 bedroom option was great then had a think about it and the points I have lost over the past 5 years must be nearly 100000 so the last couple of stays since the kids are teenagers I've booked 2 rooms at other brands sometimes this works out cheaper than a 2 bed suite at ri and my points balance is rising

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...