13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2010 8:46 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Understanding reward point system

debbies Silver
Currently Being Moderated
I haven't seemed to be able to get the hang of using points. I've used them for overnight stays when I visit relatives, but never for a vacation. When you use points are you getting a time share type unit or a hotel room? Does it seem smart to sell your week for points? I've found the people at the Rewards Desk helpful, but still don't feel I'm getting most out of my points. Seems they should offer some type of class or something to help people out. Reading the posts it seems some of you are real pros at this. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
  • Re: Understanding reward point system
    lithper Gold

It's actually possible to use rewards points for both hotels and for the timeshare units.  There are separate reward codes for each of the packages.  Last time I looked, you could get a week at either Marriott hotels or at the Marriott timeshare resorts for 150,000 points.  Different timeshare resorts have different kinds of room arrangements, so you should check on whether they have a full kitchen or a kitchenette, and whether the sleeping arrangements include separate rooms for sleeping or just have a one room space like a hotel room.

And plan to use your points way in advance of your trip.  The points based slots go very fast, so you should consider booking as early as you can.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

king563 Platinum
     I like to book complete packages including air and hotel by category. You'll get alot more bang for your points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

charlesho Gold
    The Marriott timeshare salesreps are real pros at explaining the Marriott Rewards point system. They can show you how and when not to use the points and how to get the biggest bang for the point. From what I learned vacation packages including air, hotel, car provides best value for your points.

roadwarrior47 Platinum
    We book our annual February vacations, 11 months in advance, this way we can use Marriott points for the resort, and airline points for the flight.   Coordinating both often takes time.

bonedaddy Platinum
    What if you want to book for next year to use points, but don't actually have all of the points yet? For example, I will need 150,000 points for my vacation and will have earned them by the time I go, but only have half of the points right now. Can I still book using points? Thanks.

steamboat Silver
    You can use the reward points for either or both hotel and timeshare (Vacation Club) units, unfortunately according to the rules that I've read, you can't use timeshare derived rewards points to stay in a Vacation Club resort. Since a large majority of my rewards points are from the initial purchase of the unit and the subsequent trading of my unit for points, it means I can only trade for vacation packages. Now finding a Marriott hotel where I want to go that accepts the rewards points can be difficult but then I travel at off-peak times mostly anyway. I don't know how they determine where points were earned or traded form but I guess they have a method. Has anyone else run into this problem with points?

cjwollee Gold

I think you don' have to get the full amount of points to start arranging for your vacation one year ahaed of time with your VOA (Vacation Ownership Associate). I just bought my timeshare with Marriott at LAS VEGAS Grand Chateau. It was a nice experience. I recommend the Marriott Ownership to all my friends. If I recall right one can cancell his/her reservation free of charge 2 months prior the vacation. Within 2 months of the vacation there was a $29 fee for cancellation

.About the points, I also understand if you plan to use Hotels not the resorts one can purchase the points to fullfill your points requirements.

dobbie Silver

I also use the vacation package, which transfers my points to air miles, you get a certificate for a week's stay at a Marriott, which is valid for a year and Hertz car hire discount. Although I never use the latter as it is cheaper to book online through Sidestep etc..... This gets you the biggest return on your points. Cheers DOBBIE

padirescu Platinum
    For the query regarding whether you can book a reservation using points even though you don't have all the points yet, the answer is yes.  You can book it and select "I already have a certificate" and then once you get the require amount of points simply exchange them for the certificate you need prior to your arrival for the reservation.  This is a good way of ensuring you lock in the room / hotel you want as early as possible but just make sure you will have the required amount of points prior to your arrival. 

traveler3 Silver
    Let's not fool ourselves here.  The whole reason for points is to better utilize unused rooms and make it look like the company is offering additional value to its patrons.  They try to engender loyalty by its customers, but at the least cost.  If particular resorts or timeframes are popular and Marriott thinks they can rent them, they are not going to give them away.  And with the thresholds constantly increasing, along with that deceitful "anytime" points rule, it's best to use your points ASAP, as they are a diminishing asset.  Owner loyalty programs really don't work well unless, as the saleperson puts it, "you are flexible." 

lesliepamel Platinum

One thing I can't quite understand about points is that as a senior (62+) I get 15% off at Marriotts if I pay using cash. If I pay by points there is no discount.

I guess that is a question for Mr. Bill Marriott

vpplayer Platinum

I take exception to traveler3's post.  My experience is just the opposite.  To say or imply that Marriott will never make rooms available at popular resorts when they can rent them is incorrect.  I am sure that happens some of the time, but I have stayed a week at the JW Ihilani for 150,000 point during spring break in 2007, the Kapalua Bay hotel in Jun 2005 for 130,000 points, both standard redemptions during peak demand periods.  I also have a reservation at the Hollywood Beach Marriott for a week during this coming chirstmas break for 115,000 points on a pointsaver!  Sure I plan well in advance, it would be naive to think you can wait until a week prior to a stay and expect a desireable resort to be available.

Marriott has probably the most liberal rewards program and while I have never given in to paying the double points rate to get an "anytime" rewards, I don't see how it is deceitful.  I'm also not seeing the "diminishing return" claimed by the writer.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Marriott has probably the most liberal rewards program and while I have never given in to paying the double points rate to get an "anytime" rewards, I don't see how it is deceitful."

VPPlayer

Well said. To shift the needle in their direction, Marriott works very hard.  To move the brand to the forefront of the marketplace, I expect Marriott to retain my loyalty by being innovative.  I also expect Marriott to find ways to create new value.

Given these expectations, Marriott receives high marks for innovation, but the jury is out on creating new value. As Marriott expands with the Autograph Collection and more properties in Europe there is the expectation that creating new value is around the corner.

Thanks DebbieS for posting and everyone else for their contributions.  Understanding Marriott Rewards is an excellent topic for this Forum and a discussion worth continuing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...