24 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2015 9:35 AM by jakeal RSS

Beverly Hills, CA!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Would like to share some experiences with you on last months wonderful trip to La-La Land!

(If you have additional thoughts, questions or experiences, please share.  It is always great to learn something new!)

The purpose of the trip was purely holiday, and it was not the first, but each one is always a unique experience.  Would like to share the following:

TRANSPORTATION

Travel from LAX to RI/BH has always been rather difficult.  Taxi's are very expensive, rental cars are also expensive, and with luggage it is no fun taking shuttle buses, solved the problem!  This time took a "Modified UBER", never done this before, but was referred to me by an LA friend.  The one way trip, with his help securing my baggage, cost $40!  That is less than half of a taxi, and eliminated the hassle of getting a rental car.  Was at hotel in less than 30 minutes.  What a break!  From there, the next day, I rented a Hertz car, at the RI, and it was a "Whopping" $30/day, and most pleasant, with unlimited mileage.

DSCN0155.JPG

That's the Hertz office in the garage, and that's the front desk, just to the right!  There is a parking charge, but if you check-your car in prior to leaving the hotel there is no parking charge, once you have returned your car!

The return to LAX, was done with the same driver, and was an easy way to avoid checking in at LAX!

DINING,

Really wanted to try some new places and especially places that I had always read about, but never been.  Most interesting experiences:

Saturday Night,  THE POLO LOUNGE, this was a real interesting place.  Staff was wonderful, the food was very nice, (Cost for two was about $100 total), the clothing outfits were different, and the music during dinner made for a great experience.  Would enjoy going back!

DSCN0146.JPG

DSCN0148.JPG

The dinner at The Polo Lounge was highlighted with a comped shuffle for our Anniversary!

Sunday Night, SPAGO, and while I did not see Wolfgang, it was a really fine meal.  It was way more casual than I expected, and the staff was really pleasant.  Again, the cost for two was right at $100 total, but most relaxing, and there was patio dining, if you would like that better.

DSCN0151.JPG

The oyster's were some of the finest I have had, and the kitchen was managed so professionally!

DSCN0149.JPG

Monday night was especially memorable, as our "Magician friend" took us to The Magic Castle, and dinner and the shows were remarkable.

DSCN0163.JPG

It's dressy, but if you have a chance to go to this historic place, do go!

Tuesday, THE QUEEN MARY,

Located in Long Beach, this historic ship, was used for some of the filming of the movie Titanic, and the dining at SIR WINSTON'S was very special!

Again, a cost around $100 for the two of us, and the fine beef filet and seafood were only exceeded by the wonderful views from the ship.

DSCN0165.JPG

A beautiful day in Long Beach, nearby is The Ren. and RI!

DSCN0174.JPG

The dining room is relaxing and the views are romantic.

Wed., CRAIG'S, this place was recommended for it's "Celebrity" patrons, and uniqueness, that it was!  Paparazzi was around the place, and while I am sure there were famous people there, this "Mid-Westerner", did not know some of the people, others were impressed by.  One thing, bring your e-plugs, while the food is great, and the place casual, it is rowdy.  Some celeb was having a Birthday Party, and there were show girls dancing around the lounge, you don't see that every night in St. Louis!

DSCN0191.JPG

This place was WILD!

Thursday, MALIBU, and a nice dinner along the coast!

DSCN0197.JPG

GEOFFRY'S, in N. Malibu was beautiful for dining by the Pacific!

SHOPPING in Beverly Hills, is most interesting!  You will see a little of everything!

Can you guess which car is my rental?

DSCN0182.jpg

No, it is not the yellow Rolls!

DSCN0158.JPG

Shopping would not be complete without a cupcake, from Sprinkles!  Thank-you KH B732 @ HNL for his suggestion!

The BH/RI is located less than a mile from Rodeo Drive, and the location is great for dining, shopping, sightseeing, or ?.  BTW, I did not see it, but another MRI reported that a new Marriott is being built nearby!

DSCN0168.JPG

I just hope you enjoy this part of the World as much as I did!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Beverly Hills, California, USA
  • Re: Beverly Hills, CA!

kharada46,

A special "Thanks" to you for providing some wonderful suggestions for our trip!

Aloha!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Glad to be of assistance jerrycoin!  Looks like it was a splendid trip!  I've really got to get out to the QM one day too

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

jerrycoin,

Sounds like a great trip and a really nice way to celebrate your anniversary!  Love the photos!  I've also been very happy using the Uber service when traveling...its nice not to have to worry about having cash available for cabs and most of the cars are much nicer than cabs.  I see kharada46 got you hooked on Sprinkles.  There always seems to be a line there.

By the way the new Beverley Hills Marriott is taking over the former Crowne Plaza property.  See the map below.

BHMap.JPG

vaboywnder,

Thanks for the information!

The new Marriott property is just across the street from the RI, and they share a taxi stand!

BTW, for a short walk past Wentworth is a scenic place to dine by the pool in a cabana that is wonderful.  The food is great at The Avalon!

PTDC0037.JPG

Enjoy a meal at The Avalon.

Likewise, on Pico Drive, a short walk from the hotel is a Ralph's, (Great for saving money on snacks, carry-out, etc), and wonderful small shops, like this one for pastry:

DSCN0184.JPG

This pastry shop is across Pico, and just a block from the hotel, if you go left from the RI.  There are other nice small business' and deli's to enjoy along Pico!

BTW, Sprinkles was giving away cupcakes on the day I was there, and you can imagine the lines then!

DSCN0157.JPG

There was a traffic jam, in front of Sprinkles!  Great walking area, especially if you can get a parking spot on the street!

Hope everyone has a chance to enjoy The Rodeo Drive area.

jerrycoin,

Thanks for all the info and restaurant recommendations.  I'll definitely keep those in mind when we are in the area.  We are very familiar with Ralph's.  We usually hit the one up in Burbank when staying there. So many fun things to see and do in the LA area!

vaboywnder,

Thank-you as well for the information!

Would enjoy your incite's on Burbank.  Have only been there a few times, and always enjoyed going to the shows!  Years ago, got tickets to Leno, and it was a lot of fun!

01-19-2013 03;19;30PM.JPG

The Hollywood shows are well worth it!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi jerrycoin , Congratulations on a wonderful vacation and Happy Anniversary!  Thanks once again for sharing your always interesting travels with us.  Incidentally, I am presently Amtraking on the Surflliner from San Diego to Irvine (two additionally wonderful places in So. Cal).  There is more room in coach on a train than there is in first class on a plane!

IMAG5427.jpg

View from the train

pluto77,

Wow!  That sounds like a great time.  Something that I have always wanted to do.  Please make sure to post details and pictures if you can.

BTW, when I was in Santa Barbara they told me that people from San Diego take AMTRAK there each week-end, and people in Santa Barbara go to San Diego!

Have fun!

Nice view Pluto!  The Surfliner is a nice train.  We took it once from LA to San Diego.

BTW...SeaPort Airlines offers direct flights between San Diego and Burbank about $79 each way in case your ever interested.

https://seaportair.com/

superchief1 Platinum

I'm happy to see other Insiders enjoying the train. The Surfliner is a great way to travel in CA. California is one of the few states to improve rail travel options, and it is a good way to avoid traffic and high gas prices. Try the Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA if you get a chance. If you get a sleeper, you will have access to the private parlour car which is reminiscent of train travel during the glory days.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'll 2nd that. Love the Coast Starlight. Took a round trip on it from Seattle probably 15+ years ago. Having a sleeper is the only way to go as meals were included (I'd have to check to see if that is still true). Dining on the train was wonderful, as was the parlor car and the wine tasting. It may not have been cheaper that airfare, but once you add in the what we would have paid for food and an extra night at our destination (instead of being lulled to sleep by the sway and clickety clack of the rails) I figured it came out about even.

If nothing else, the experience was well worth it and the scenery along the coast near Vandenberg AFB was awesome. Even so many years later, that's not a trip I'll soon forget.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

I'm a big fan of the Coast Starlight as well! I've taken it up to Bellingham and down to Sacramento. Seattle to LA would be a long journey! I guess the pretty view would make it bearable

superchief1 Platinum

I took it last year and dinners are still included with a special menu available in the parlour car. The lambshank was excellent. I started my trip with snow in the Oregon mountains and ended it along the beaches north of LA. I hope to do it again in the near future. I was surprised by the number of people on the train traveling for business.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Awesome report jerrycoin and a most Happy Anniversary indeed.  I loved reading your details of your dining experiences and my guess is that if they have dancing girls in a St. Louis restaurant you'll find them soon!!!

IAHFLYR,

Thanks for your comment!

Dancing girls in Houston, YES! 

STL, NO!

BTW, That was a great report on your Oregon, "Hideaway"!  We just don't have the flights anymore to get to Portland, like we used to, so it may be awhile before I make it back to that wonderful area of the World!

Keep the Grill going!

Grill will be on tonight for sure......maybe Salmon or Halibut, could be Chicken or possibly Pork Chops. 

Oh, no dancing girls at Nino's, Ninfa's, Tony's or Whataburger in H-Town.

IAHFLYR,

Did know Ninfa's was still open for business!  Love's that place!

Just got to Chicago/RI.  Will have more on recent travels soon!

Say hi to Tony V. at Tony's, and the dancing girls as well!

jerrycoin,

The  Ninfa’s on Navigation | Desde 1973 is still open on Navigation.  I think all the rest have closed or are using the Ninfa under different licenses, but they are few and far between if any.

IAHFLYR,

Thanks for the information on Ninfa's!

My first experience was in 1980, and had never been to Texas before.  A business friend took me there and I learned  about a Texas lunch.  Wow, wonderful Mexican food and the margaritas!  Had never been to a business luncheon like that!  Thank goodness it was so cold that day that I went out and "Breathed" on the windshield and it "Melted" the ice!

What a day in Houston!

Jerry those are the best lunches however; when I was working they completely frowned on the "Texas Lunch Specials" and for good reason so they'd do their best to keep us inside the prison walls!! 

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

jerrycoin, you always go to such high class places. Of course, you're a high class guy, so it makes sense. Thanks for sharing some great experiences and wonderful pictures.

bejacob,

You are way too kind!  But that's a stretch!  You know I pick out a lot of the wrong places in my travels.  I guess it goes with the travel experiences!

Just remember, "It is nice going first class when you are using points, instead of cash"!

joshm Member

This is so awesome, jerrycoin!

I was particularly intrigued by the UBER experience. They just moved into Portland, much to the demise of cab drivers in the area, and I've heard about huge differences in fares.

The pictures are wonderful as well. Thanks for sharing!

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Sounds like another great trip, jerrycoin.  Thanks for sharing!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...