13 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2016 1:41 PM by notorious-5150 RSS

Marriott Vacation Club - Hawaii - Big Island

notorious-5150 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I heard there is a new Vacation Club location opening up on the big island.   Does anyone have any information on the location and when the expected opening day would be?ca

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Vacation Club - Hawaii - Big Island
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

No I sure don't but that would be awesome. CariJ, can you investigate for us?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mycatdixie Gold

I just returned from  Hawaii yesterday.  I attended an update on vacation clubs and, yes, they are planning a property on the Big Island. However,  it will be a conversion of their existing  hotel property in Waikoloa.  The property is nice, but not exceptional.  I believe  this is scheduled  for completion in around 2 years. Since the rooms there are rather small, it will be interesting to see how they design the conversion.

notorious-5150 Platinum

That is a shame.   When I heard about it - they made it sound like a new property...   I don't think there is room to build a new tower - so I am assuming they will not have kitchens.  

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Passing this on to our team to get confirmation on this, notorious-5150. Hold tight and I'll let you know!

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey notorious-5150, lindseyh had the team look into this and confirmed that they are unaware of a Vacation Club property opening on the Big Island, and do therefore do not have an opening date.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Thanks for investigating!

mycatdixie Gold

You are welcome to contact Marty K. at 808-652-7297. He is The Vacation  Club  Senior Sales Executive  who advised me about the timeshare being built at the current Marriott  property  on the Big Island in Waikokoa.

notorious-5150 Platinum

Just to follow up - in February they confirmed that the Waikoloa Beach Resort will be the site for the Vacation Club.   It will be similar to the Ocean Club in Maui where they convert existing rooms with Kitchenettes to Vacation Club Rooms with the plan to expand like they did with Molokai & Lanai Towers.

mum2landm Platinum

I just attended a sales presentation at the Newport Coast Villas a couple weeks ago and Big Island and San Diego were both mentioned as announced vacation clubs.

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

In San Diego, MVC bought the Declan Suites Hotel.  I expect them to gut the original rooms and put in the normal full kitchen suites.

From TUG:

The San Diego Marriott Vacation Club property is currently called Declan Suites San Diego. It shares a downtown city block with the Joan and Irwin Jacobs Music Center (including the 2,231-seat Copley Symphony Hall), and the Symphony Towers office building (34-stories totaling 521,281 square feet). The hotel sits on top of a fortress-like parking structure with 650 spaces.

It remains to be seen how extensively Marriott Vacations Worldwide (VAC) transforms the hotel. Because it's part of an intensely developed city block, it cannot become a resort on spacious landscaped grounds with extensive outdoor areas.

Declan Suites currently has a relatively small heated indoor pool with skylights, and it seems very unlikely that a bigger pool is possible. You can find a photo of the pool and and other features of the hotel here:http://www.declansuitessandiego.com/photo-tour

Declan Suites boasts "over 6,000 square-feet of flexible San Diego Meeting Space with large pre-function space" on its 12th floor. Presumably, that space can be put to different use for Vacation Club guests.

Perhaps there's an opportunity to add an outdoor deck on the roof between the two towers or to peel back part of that roof. Given San Diego's wonderful year-round climate, it would be a shame if that does not happen.

The rooms are all 425-sq.ft. 2-room suites. Currently, they're really just traditional hotel rooms with a wall dividing the bed area from the sofa area. There are no balconies. These "villas" will be smaller than purpose-built Marriott Vacation Club villas, but I hope that VAC will skillfully squeeze in a mini-kitchen and more "home away from home" features.

By the way, VAC's acquisition of the hotel is complete. According to Marriott Vacations Worldwide Reports First Quarter 2015 Financial Results (April 30, 2015):

The company completed its acquisition of an operating hotel located in San Diego, California, for approximately $55 million. The company plans to begin converting the hotel to vacation ownership inventory later this year.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

This is disappointing news in my opinion.  Being a Hawaii resident, I've watched as more and more hotels are converted into timeshares.  While many news outlets say this is a great thing and is giving Hawaii record visitor rates, what they fail to mention are the detrimental effects timeshares have on our economy. 

Timeshares require less staff due to the less frequent room cleaning intervals, less need for food service, etc. means as we lose more hotels to timeshare or even condo conversions, we lose more jobs.  But there's negative effects for visitors too.  Those that don't own a timeshare see tighter room inventories.  Tighter inventories means higher room rates, which is readily apparent today's rates. 

The Waikoloa Beach Marriott being the only full service Marriott on the Big Island and one of the more reasonably priced options in its class on the island, the news is particularly disturbing to me and one that I hope will not come true. 

Not sure if this will shed any light onto the situation, but, the property recently renegotiated its contracts with Local 5:

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Workers Ratify New Deal | Big Island Now

And was recently acquired by a new owner Waikoloa Beach Marriott bought by Silverwest | Hawaii 24/7

illgoanywhere Gold

I was just at a timeshare presentation in Maui, and they told us that Hualalai, by the Four Seasons, will be the new resort on the Big Island.

notorious-5150 Platinum

I love The Four Seasons at Hualalai.  A bit remote - but if you are a resortist or a golfer it is wonderful.  Did they say when they planned on opening?

illgoanywhere Gold

No, they did not have a projected date.  I love the Big Island, and this will be a great addition. Not sure if you know, but the Mauna Kea is now part of the Marriott group.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...