6 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2015 3:34 PM by paddyscherrer RSS

Why no Marriott Credit card in Central Europe?

paddyscherrer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Marriott travelers,

question is very simple: US citizens and UK citizens can get Marriott credit cards (and get a lot of free status night). Why is this not available in central Europe (France, Germany, Austria, Italy)? I have heard rumors, that the high interest rates for the credit cards are not allowed in the EU, therefore no business model for the credit card companies. Anyone can help me out here or give me a hint?

Thanks

Patrick

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why no Marriott Credit card in Central Europe?
    joshm Member

Hello paddyscherrer,

You bring an excellent question to the forum, and I'm happy to look into this for you.

Stay tuned, I'll follow up with what I find out!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ramoneur Platinum

...I have the exact same question!

joshm Member

paddyscherrer,

After researching this topic with the team, it seems there is little information as to 'why' there is not a Marriott Credit Card offered in central Europe.

The team informed me that, as more information becomes available that sheds insight as to the absence of a MRCC in central Europe, they'll provide me with updates from which I can then inform the rest of the community.

matthiasfgdm Gold

I also asked for the card. The only answer received was a general one in the way: thanks for the request. We will study the demand....

Would be nice to get access to the credit cart in continental Europe. Shouldn't be that complicated as every airways and store is throwing with credit cards.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

The problem with issuing a loyalty card is the regulatory administration. In the U.S. a bank issues a loyalty card and pays one lot of regulatory charges to access a market of 300,000,000. To access Europes market of 500,000,000 would require 27 different regulatory registrations, one for each EU country. In the meantime the actual Marriott customer base is so much lower, there are 315 Marriotts in Europe but 3,500 in USA. So that's 27 times the admin fees to chase the trade that accounts for only 9% of their inventory! So a EU-wide, or Eurozone wide, or even just central Europe (France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Czech Rep, Benelux - 9 jurisdictions) is not happening until EU banking union occurs. And that will be a long wait!!!

Only the UK has a Marriott loyalty card and looking at the Marriott numbers the only other EU countries with sufficient Marriott exposure are Germany and Spain, and Spains economics are tricky at the moment. If it's going to happen anywhere, it'll be Germany. Plenty of Marriott hotels, economically secure and good banks. The question is whether the traditionally cautious Germans are wanting to carry multiple credit cards as we Brits are now used to doing.

paddyscherrer Platinum

Finally a good explanation. Thanks a million!

PS.: We have a Hilton Card, but that is really a joke. 65 Euro fee, no nights, no status and one point per Euro.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...