5 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2015 10:40 AM by cklee RSS

Challenging Experience

bwonder Gold
Currently Being Moderated

After multiple attempts to reach out to someone at Marriott only to get boiler plate language in return while ignoring my chief compliant, I made the decision to transfer my balance from my Chase Marriott card and close my account with MR as a Gold Elite Member.  I found it quite disturbing that they don't make it clear "TVL" does not accumulate points when it clearly has in the past.  It seems like a rookie managerial mistake to enforce this policy without warning or notice when the past practice was to give these points to a very important customer segment who can carry a lot of sway with the traveling public not to mention their own contributions to the bottom line.  I made my previous stays while trying to keep gold status on a 6 stay run only to find out the money I paid (which was more than competing hotels) is brushed off as not worthy by Marriott standards for this purpose.

Reading on here that even Platinum Elite members are being brushed off I knew my complaints would only fall on deaf ears. I write in the hope Marriott reviews this policy instead of losing quality customers over something as simple as crediting past stays and providing transparency that future stays under certain codes will no longer accumulate the desired points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Challenging Experience
    Jsucool76 Gold

Marriott updated the T&Cs to say that it wasn't elligible, and there's been about 40 posts here stating that TVL isn't elligible anymore.

The thing was TVL was "never elligible" and it was just getting through the cracks in the system.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bwonder Gold

The fact there are so many posts about it should raise at least a few eyebrows at Marriott which it clearly hasn't. Also, when clicking on rate rules it doesn't mention the no accumulation policy only that the rate applies to travel agencies, airline employees, etc. 

Just bc something was "never eligible" but fell through the cracks doesn't mean changing it without any kind of notice or good faith gesture to a past stay is a really ethical business practice either.  It simply means Marriott knows it was advantageous to keep a policy that was murky and deep in fine print that most people wont read in order to continue capitalizing on the revenue the rate was generating. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

LLike you, I would be fuming if it effected me, it's not as if the TVL rate is a great bargain, indeed in some instances it may not be the cheapest. It's been honoured for years within the system and I think the sudden shutoff without any warning is distinctly shoddy.

NOnetheless we have always known that not all rates qualify and all the different chains have different views about where qualifying rates fall. I am very sure such rates don't qualify at IHG, and seem to remember a Hilton colleague saying to me that there was quite a list of rates that didn't qualify with HH too, so be do make sure with your new chain that the rate qualifies

joshm Member

This is unfortunate to hear, bwonder, and I'm saddened to see you go.

As part of the team that sees this content posted to the forum firsthand, I can definitely say that we have shared this information (the multiple posts, comments, and sentiment) around TVL rate eligibility with the greater Marriott team.

If this is something you would like to speak to the Marriott team about directly, just say the word. I would be happy to connect you.

Thanks for posting.

cklee Gold 1 Reviews

I have been Gold Member with Marriott for many years and had no plan to change the ship until I found out that the suddenly decided not to give credit to one onf Corporate Rates, TVL. I work for an airline and this TVL rate should not be treated as any diffeent from other rates such as AAA. I sincerely hope Marriott sooner than later sort this one of the worst policy mishaps I have ever seen.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...