5 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2015 2:22 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Why will marriott not back date their Gold Challenge?  Why number of stays instead of nights?

ninz Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I'm platinum at Starwood and usually stay at Starwood hotels, but some recent travels have had me at a bunch of Marriott brand hotels.  I'm a consultant and travel every week so I'm pretty familiar with status matches and challenges.  Starwood's platinum challenge will let you back date the start of a challenge within reason (i.e. if it's currently May, they would let me make the challenge start April 1, to include past stays).  I asked if Marriott would do the same, and was told no.  I was also told that there is no Platinum Challenge, rather only a gold challenge, and that I would have to have 6 different stays, rather than a number of nights.  Is this truly the case?  Has anyone else had the same experience?  If so, I am seriously disappointed in Marriott and will be taking my business exclusively to Starwood from now on.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why will marriott not back date their Gold Challenge?  Why number of stays instead of nights?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Yep. That's the way it's always been at Marriott. The challenge can't be backdated and it has almost always been based on stays instead of nights.

The only way to get a Platinum challenge is to already be at the Gold elite level. Also, only one challenge per year, so you couldn't complete a Gold challenge and then try for Platinum challenge. You could, however, achieve Gold by staying 50 nights and then do a Platinum challenge (9 stays instead of 6 over a three month period). If you're not too far away from Gold, it could be helpful to wait.

In any case, your experience is quite normal.

Some companies will offer to match status in another chain in order to entice you to stay with them. I don't know if Marriott would, but it might be worth asking, especially since you've have a number of recent stays. I doubt they would change any points earning on a retroactive basis, but if they were willing to bump you up to Gold, that could be worth it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why will marriott not back date their Gold Challenge?  Why number of stays instead of nights?
    rb84 Platinum

You can get Gold status without even setting foot in a Marriott Hotel, no need for back dating. Just fly United Airlines a whole bunch then join us in the CL's. We'll be the ones with the grumpy looks staring at the United "Gold" guests.

Hopefully,  you'll look past my moment of clarity and actually pursue stays with Marriott. Traveling so much, you should satisfy a Gold challenge pretty quickly. Good luck.

joshm Member

ninz,

Welcome to Marriott Rewards Insiders!

Regarding your post, I'm going to check into this for more information, and will follow up with what I find. Me, along with lindseyh, and CariJ, make up the moderation team for this forum, so don't hesitate to reach out to us with questions or concerns about the site or anything Marriott!

As you have probably seen, this place is a wonderful resource for you as a traveler. From insights and travel recommendations to detailed experiences and photos. the network of savvy explorers that make up this forum is impressive! They are also very helpful! (bejacob is one of the best )

Thanks for posting and again, welcome to the Insider family.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

joshm looked into this, and had our team confirm the following: Marriott Rewards program is set up to reward loyalty to Marriott and rewards members with different status levels based on the amount of loyalty they show to the company. Our team offers a special fast track to those who are eligible. As you know, a member may participate in only one challenge in a rolling year and it may only be for one level higher than current status.

Sorry this is frustrating, ninz. However, it looks like our savvy Insiders bejacob and rb84 have some sound advice. If you need any assistance with signing up for a challenge in the future, let me know!

Jsucool76 Gold

Buy gold status with the ritz card. 140k signup bonus, gold status the first year (and keep it by spending 10k a year) or acheive platinum status by spending 75k a year on the card. Alternatively, you can get gold status from the ritz card and take a plat challenge.

you get the card for $395 a year (more than worth it for gold status alone in my opinion) but you also get a host of other benefits. Best way to get immediate status in my opinion.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...