21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2016 10:03 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

Lyon and Provence

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Any reviews or recommendations on the Lyon Marriott?  We just got back from Ireland and are now starting to plan our 30th anniversary trip for next spring.  We are thinking about a week in Provence, followed by a week in Paris.  Paris, we know well, but we have never been to southern France.  Was hoping to stay in a Marriott property while there and saw the Lyon Marriott.  Couldn't find much on it, though.  Any idea how hard it is to utilize points there?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Also, any thoughts on what to see within an hour of Lyon would be helpful.  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Lyon, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Lyon Marriott Hotel Cite Internationale
Millau, France
  • Re: Lyon and Provence
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

What a great place for a 30th anniversary, psudad! I have not ventured South of Paris myself, so I'm interested to see what the other Insiders have to share.

How was your time in Ireland? I'd love to see some photos if you have any you'd like to share with us! I've always wanted to go to Ireland.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks, Lindseyh.  Will try to post some pics shortly.  Ireland was great.

paddyscherrer Platinum

Hi,

The Marriott Lyon is pretty new, was the Hilton there before, which was quite ok. It is outside of the city so You have to drive a while. Lyon is a wonderful city with lots of surprises, and maybe the best food in the world (if You want to pay for it). Marriotts in southern France are only a few, it got better after the acquisition of AC Hotels. My personal tip: The courtyard in Toulouse (now a cat. 2 so cheap on points). As I am living in central Europe and travel here a lot: Toulouse is one of the best spots in the world. Culture and history. (and cheaper then overrated permanently-outstretched-hand- Paris). Within 100 miles out of Toulouse You have some of the best spots Europe has to offer, e.g. the Dordogne and the ancient  city of Carcasonne. (google it

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

paddyscherrer,

Welcome to The MRI site!

Thank-you for the recommendation on Toulouse, and the adjoining area.  Have not been there, but plan to!  Have made it to Millau and Montpellier, and also Lyon and the Loire area.  All of these are wonderful places to visit, and see French countryside!

Please keep us informed of other wonderful places including Heidelberg!

FH050027.jpg

The bridge at Millau is spectacular!

Location Brand Hotel
      Millau, France

Thanks, Paddy, for the Toulouse advice.  Not sure we will end up that far southwest, but you never know.

Any thoughts on the Renaissance Aix-en-Provence?  We were considering 4-5 nights there, due to its proximity to Arles, Nimes, Avignon and other Provence spots.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I'll be staying at the Ren in Aix during my July trip.  Haven't been there before.  Will report back in August!

Looking forward to your report.

Did you end up visiting the Renaissance in Aix?  Thoughts?

Disregard - NewHiltonMembr, I found your report on another thread.  Been awhile, forgot the dialogue.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Haven't been to Lyons, but have stayed in Paris, and there's much to see here for first time; however, it's quite expensive!  My wife and I stayed for several nights at the JW Marriott, Cannes, France, on the French Riviera. You're probably familiar with the Cannes Film Festival that's held here - don't go during this event!

Cannes is not so special itself, but nearby St. Tropez (to the West) is a romantic place to visit, but check the local calendar to see if most of the attractions are open during your scheduled time of visit.

Also, just to the East of Cannes is the small coastal town of Antibes, and the old, historic town of Nice, where you can fly into/out of on your journey, and, of course, Monte Carlo, but both of the latter are quite busy with tourists.

Rather, we drove up to the small village of Vence, north of Nice, and stayed most of the day there. It's a lovely spot, with many small, delightful restaurants. Don't park in the first parking spot you come to, but look for street side parking spot near city entrance.

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0465.JPGIMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

Nice pics.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

if you do get to Nice go to the Chagall museum  its fantastic

Well, am now booked for 6 nights in Aix, followed by 2 nights in Lyon, followed by 7 nights in Paris next year, to celebrate our 30th.  Now, let the wait begin!

Hi psudad,

I hope you had a great trip to France!

What are your thoughts on the Lyon Marriott? 

Was it a pain to get to and from there to the places that you wanted to see and to go back later in the day for a rest/cleanup before dinner back in the old city?  It looks to be a bit of a hike from the sites in the old city.

What were your favorite restaurants?

Any comments on the Crown Plaza which is near the Marriott?

Thanks very much!

The Lyon Marriott is certainly a nice hotel.  Sandwiched between the Rhone and a huge, beautiful park.  The buses run right out of the back of the hotel, taking you anywhere in town.  We were there two nights.  The first night, we arrived with little time to get in to town for our dinner reservations, so we took a cab to and from the old city.  Then, the following night, we dined at Paul Bocuse's restaurant which is north and a bit of a hike - again a cab.  So, unfortunately we spent nearly 100 euro on four cab rides.  During the one full day we had in Lyon, we took the buses.  And with the one-day pass which you can buy at the machine behind the building, it also included the funicular up to the Roman amphitheater and the Basilica.  Visiting Paul Bocuse's Les Halles (market) is a must if you love great food.  Go there for lunch, if possible.  We went to a bouchand on Friday night called Comptoir Abel, which was great!  And Paul Bocuse's restaurant was everything I would have expected of a restaurant which has held three Michelin stars for 50 years.  Also, because the Lyon Marriott's lounge is being refurbished, free happy hour was in the restaurant, as was a sumptuous breakfast.  Between the Lyon Marriott and the Renaissance Aix-en-Provence, I would have to give a definitive nod to the Renaissance.  It was a great location to walk everywhere, the rooms were excellent  -  especially if you can get a room on the top floor facing town and Mount Saint Victoire - and the breakfast was also great.  The staff was exceptional and Jakob, the Navigator (concierge) was invaluable.  Daniel, at the Lyon Marriott, was also helpful in getting us the reservation at Paul Bocuse and had some treats waiting for us in the room, as we were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary on this trip.

Thanks very much, psudad!

So glad to hear you had a wonderful trip!  Happy Anniversary!

How far in advance did you book your reservation for Paul Bocuse's restaurant?

Comptoir Abel and Les Halles are already on my list.

I am planning 5 nights in Lyon with one or two daytrips.

Did you happen to see the Crown Plaza which is nearby the Marriott?  I haven't done much research on either yet but could stay in either on points.

Thanks again.

I didn't really notice the Crown Plaza.  On the Paul Bocuse website, they only take reservations 30 days ahead.  So, I reached out to Daniel, the concierge at the Marriott, and he booked it about 5-6 weeks out, I believe.  The beef with morels at Comptoir Abel was fabulous.  They make a nice salade lyonnaise, as well, though my favorite is still Chez Georges on Rue du Mail in Paris.  We would have liked more time in Lyon, but with 6 nights in Provence (and wouldn't have traded off one day of it) and 7 in Paris, that left little time.  Was a great stop over between Provence and Paris.  Seemed like a nice city.  The old city was beautiful, with plenty to do and see.  We found a few of the Traboules to walk through.  If you like ice cream, be sure to visit Rene Nardonne on Rue Francois Vernay, across the street from the Saone River. 

Thanks very much, psudad!

Do you happen to have Daniel's email address so I can contact him also regarding a reservation?

Looking forward to a trip report on your adventures!

Lyon Concierge.JPG

Thanks very much for that info, psudad!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...