2 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2015 2:58 AM by peterh RSS

Best family friendly Marriott on Hawaii Big Island

paddyscherrer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So here we go: I am sick of the completely overpriced and overrated Hotels on Maui and Oahu. This is while we will be going to Big Island for the 3rd year in a row now. Here I have 3 properties to choose from.:

1. The Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel. Just increased to be cat. 7. Thanks Marriott for 2 increases in a row. Used to be a cat 5. to use my certs on.

2. Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. Can go as low as $152.

3. Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection (new and fancy, but good for families?)

4. Rumors of a new vacation club coming?

So what is your family pick? Hey, a couple of 2 does nor counts as family here . I am always struggling to choose between the King Kam and the Waikoloa. Which one is yours?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kailua Kona, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Best family friendly Marriott on Hawaii Big Island
    joshm Member

A great thread to have started here, paddyscherrer.

There are sure to be members of the Insiders family with insights to share! Once they see this thread, I don't doubt they'll begin sharing experiences with you.

Also, I found a couple threads that might serve useful:

Re: Hawaii

Re: Reward Stay - Waikoloa Beach Resort & Spa

Hope these provide some level of insight!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Best family friendly Marriott on Hawaii Big Island
    peterh Platinum 1 Reviews

We (a family of 3) enjoyed the Waikoloa last winter! Only issue is the rooms seem small for a family.  We were lucky and after a lot of begging, were upgraded to a larger room, they kept trying to find us a room with a view and we kept saying we could care less about the view we want SPACE! Finally, upgraded to a very large 2 room space on the first floor,  we loved being able to have our 13 year old have her own area with a pull out sofa, bathroom, and TV.

We loved the pool area because we were almost always able to get chairs (not possible at Wailea, Maui the year before) and the pools were heated (not heated at Wailea) and very nice beach area (no beach directly in front at Wailea).  I wish we had spent more time at the beach and taken advantage of some of the specials on SUPs and kayaks on the bay, there is one day where it is something like $40 for unlimited use of all of their equipment including a ride on the glass bottom boat. We also walked down to the Hilton to do the swim with the dolphins one day.

Restaurants were a little limited at Marriott itself, but there were plenty across the street at Kings and Queens shops.

We went to Kona-Kailua one day and saw the Courtyard, it looks like it is in a great area, but also looked more like a motel than a resort. I just felt like the Waikoloa was so relaxing.  We go to Hawaii to slow down and didn't get that vibe from the Kona-Kailua area, but thought it would be a good place to stay either first or last night on the island because it is closer to the airport and there is lots to see/do near it.

Haven't ever stayed at the new property (Mauna Kea), but have heard the beach there is very nice.  We wanted to stop by there and walk around last trip, but missed the turn off and then never made it back up that way.   I'd love to hear some reviews though.

I always say, there is no bad place to stay in Hawaii, just relax and enjoy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...