17 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2016 4:43 PM by AZDesertRat RSS

Need about 200000 rewards points.. anyone willing to sell/transfer?

nybiztraveler Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Never bought or transferred points before.. Ended up spending over a million accrued points in the last three years, that I am running short for the next trip.. Can you advise how this process works, and if anyone is willing to sell the requisite points (or i can transfer airline miles, etc.)

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Need about 200000 rewards points.. anyone willing to sell/transfer?
    tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

You can buy 50k points from Marriott. A spouse or close family member can buy another 50k and transfer them to you. That makes 100k. Do you have the Chase Marriott Card? They are doing a 50k bonus to sign up. I am pretty sure straight selling or transferring on the market is against T's and C's. But, I am not 100% sure.

Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card | Chase.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Nice response, tker. Hey nybiztraveler, if you have any questions about transferring or buying points, feel free to shoot me a DM and I can have our team clarify. You can find more detailed information about buying and transferring points in the Rewards T&C's here: Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions

Jsucool76 Gold

Ritz card is $395 and you can get 140,000 points from it, marriott card is $85, and you can get 70,000 from that. So for 480$ you can get 210,000 points, and all the card benefits.

buying points from marriott (a max of 50k per year) would be $625 for 50,000 points (if I remember correctly that is. Pretty sure is 12.50/1000 points.)

boldie24 Platinum 1 Reviews

Other then points you get when signing up for a CC, is buying points really a good value?  Seems like a steep price to pay unless you are unless you are planning on staying at an over the top/$$$ category 9 property.

Jsucool76 Gold

Not always true. Sometimes a low cat hotel has a fairly high price tag, and points will get you 5th night free, you don't get that with a $$ stay. I recently looked into buying about 30k points to complete an 80k point stay (in tyson's corner marriott). Rooms were ~$260 a night, would've been about $1760. I could buy the 30k points for $375, and then with a 5th night free, and using cash and points, I would've been able to secure 6 nights for 80k points and $84 for the last night. For some reason the cash and points price for the last night of the stay was ~$200 cheaper than the regular cash price.

Moral of the story, at $12.50/1000 points, marriott sells the points for 1.25 cents per point. The value I would have gotten would have been around 2 cents per point, making it more valuable for me to buy the points rather than pay the cash price, as it was an instant discount.

I would have GAINED  30852 points had I paid the AAA rate (with my marriott card) for $1763, which at 1.25 cents per point is worth $385. So My options were either PAY $375 and use what marriott values as $1000 in points, or PAY $1763 and get $385 worth of points back.

By spending the $375 on points and using (at a valuation of 1.25 cents per point, which is what marriott charges for them) I spent a total of $1000 (paid to the hotel in points) for $1763 worth of hotel, giving me $763 back, rather than the $385 I would have gotten back in points from paying full value.

It's convoluted, I know. I'm not good at explaining things,and I'm decent at math, but it makes sense in my head.lol

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow, that IS convoluted Jsucool76

I glean from your post you were staying at the Tysons Corner Marriott for 6 nights. Now it's a Cat4 so that's 20k points/nt. Buy 4 nights get 5th free, so that's 5 nights for 80k points, and you only had 50k, so needed to decide wether it was worth paying Marriott for the 30k points at $12.50 per thousand (1.25UScents/pt), that's $375 for the 30k you need. Next you needed to calculate the cost of the room.

The hotel rate for the 5 nights was $1,763 but of course if you paid you'd receive points, 30,852 of them. Using Marriotts purchase price of $12.50 per thousand that makes the points an effective refund of $385 meaning if you paid to stay the net cost would be $1,378, which when divided by the 80,000 meant you were redeeming at a rate of 1.72UScents/pt, that's almost half a cent per point more than you're paying for the points, in other words buying the points for $375 enabled you redeem the stay where those purchased points redeemed for $515. A good exchange!

I'm not sure how you made your last night, you refer to cash and points at $84, but a cat4 cash and points is $60 plus 11,000 points. I'm assuming you mean that you simply paid cash for the last night as it was so cheap ($84) in comparison to the first 5 nights. Or you could mean using the mix and match cash and points scheme, paying the cheapest night and redeeming the other 5. Still a little confused there.

Taking your principle point though, value on points doesnt only occur at cat9, and I very much agree. Take my redemptions for this year, best value first:

1. Westampton Courtyard, Cat2 - 10k for 1 night saving $180, 1.8UScents/pt

2. Harlingen RI, Cat2 - 10k for 1 night saving $150, 1.5UScents/pt

3. Houston JW, Cat5 - 25k for 1 night saving $350, 1.4UScents/pt

4. NYC Ren Times Sq, Cat9 - 180k for 5 nights saving $2,400, 1.3UScents/pt

5. Miami Beach Stanton, Cat9 - 270k for 7 nights saving $2,900, 1.1UScents/pt

As can be seen, the best value came in from my 2 Cat2 redemptions at 1.8 and 1.5 UScents/pt. My 2 Cat9 redemptions did save a VERY impressive amount of money, but did cost a TON of points, and their cent per point values were massaged by the 5th night free. Without that the Stanton would have redeemed for less than 1cent per point. Noticeably if I'd stayed 5 nights at the Westampton CY my 40k points could have redeemed for $900, a value of 2.2UScents/pt! Of course I'm not sure if I'd actually want to do that

Noticably I've not stayed in many Courtyards or Fairfield Inns, to date since there's not many of them outside the USA, but as the ones I've stayed in the past have been Cat 2, 3 & 4, I've always redeemed since even though the nightly rates were relatively cheap, 1 Cat 2 FFI Oakville at $120, 1 Cat 3 CY Prague at $200 and 1 Cat 4 CY Albany at $220, all represented good value redemptions. We have a small number of Full service Cat3 and 4 Marriotts here in the UK and I've frequently redeemed at them because their standard rates are often £100-£150 which again is a decent $150-$250 redemption. To acheive the same redemption rate per point those Cat9s have to be around $500/nt. Not that many are.

Jsucool76 Gold

Haha. I forgot I even posted that. It's been like a year. I ended up staying at the Ritz using a club level upgrade cert, for $160 a night. I thought it was a better value than my convoluted Tysons Marriott redemption -:-P

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...