28 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2015 9:48 AM by brightlybob RSS

Another Insider meet up (bejacob and foxglove)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This last week, I spent Friday evening at the SHS in foxglove's hometown.  We met for dinner and he took me on a tour of the local area.

bejacob and foxglove.jpg

bejacob and foxglove after enjoying dinner a couple beers.

I've been fortunate to meet several members of this community (jerrycoin, erc, pluto77, the NathalieF, and now foxglove). Each time the conversation seems to pick up from various discussions from MRI. Though we had not met in person before, we already knew each other from our posts (I asked him about his garden and he inquired about my progress on county collecting).

In addition to those mentioned above, other Insiders (brightlybob, IAHFLYR, vaboywnder, and several others) became part of our evening as we chatted about some of the current posts and replies on this forum. Naturally, we talked about our plans for upcoming trips (yes, kharada46, I brought up my trip to Hawaii later this year ) as well as Marriott promotions and MRI contests (congrats foxglove for winning the Spring Snaps photo contest).

If you're even even close to his neighborhood, I highly recommend a visit with foxglove. He is a class act.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Athens, Georgia, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Athens
  • Re: Another Insider meet up (bejacob and foxglove)
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

What a couple of happy looking guys!  Glad you got to connect and sorry you had to let the conversation go town the toilet by mentioned some other of us!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

It was an absolute delight to meet you, bejacob, and to show you around UGA and the Classic City. I've now had the pleasure of meet-and-greets with two of the pillars of the MRI community: you and erc. I appreciate your making the side trip to these environs, even though you'd already previously "collected" Athens-Clarke and the surrounding counties. As you say, it seemed we were old friends who'd never met. Thanks for the visit -- and the taste of Ohio, the Bleeding Buckeye Red Ale.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Love this, bejacob! So glad you two got to meet and spend time together. Sounds like a great time!

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

bejacob & foxglove

Aaahhh, so nice to hear about your meet-up….another part of what makes MRI special.

Jsucool76 Gold

Very Nice!

We need to do an insiders sunday brunch meetup.

We have the best bottomless brunches here in south florida

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejacob & foxglove,

What a wonderful post!  Great information and the best to any MRI's who have a chance to visit.  It is a great experience!

Please keep these stories coming bejacob and others!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Great post bejacob.

I remain ticked off that I couldn't extend my October visit stateside by a few days to see y'all at the Mayflower.

Needless to say, if any MRI is visiting Olde England do drop me a PM, see if I can arrange a meet up.

7 Gold 1 Reviews

I definitely plan to visit England in the next year or two. I will try to keep that in mind.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Great write-up bejacob!  Glad to see you and foxglove carried on the tradition of exchanging some hometown beers!  erc would be proud.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Yes, he would. In exchange for the Bleeding Buckeye Red Ale, foxglove gave me Terrapin Golden Ale, brewed in Athens and only sold in Georgia. It's a nice tradition among beer-loving Insiders. I'm not sure it would work trying to pack a six-pack in a carry-on, but for driving trips, it works well.

Sorry, IAHFLYR, but if I fly to Texas, unless I check a bag, I'll have to leave the locally distilled vodka at home. jerrycoin can tell you how good it was. (see Re: bejacob & jerrycoin relax in STL!).

It's always nice when members of this community can meet face to face. We all visit Marriott properties around the country and the world, so it's only logical that we'd get the opportunity to touch base every now and then.

You know my dislike for checked luggage so you'll just have to drink the entire bottle while in town!  Now jerrycoin would certainly get that prescribed for all.

IAHFLYR,

You are right about "Checked luggage"!

One of the problems with checked luggage is, "If you get a little over-medicated, on the flight, you can't find it"!

LOL, hope you remember to check the overhead bins then jerrycoin before you get too far toward luggage claim.  Oh wait, you didn't check the bag or did you, hmmmmm!!!

IAHFLYR,

I had too much weight in a carry-on to Europe once, and it broke the overhead bin.  The flight attendant was not happy, especially when I told him it was coins!  Thank-goodness we were already in the air!

A person will need a little "Medication", after an event like that!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

There are other Terrapin lagers and ales available in Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia, including Hopsecutioner, RecreationAle, Rye Pale Ale, and Liquid Bliss, as well as seasonals like Pumpkin Fest and Boom Shakalager. Golden Ale's (G-A) the only brew reserved for Georgia only.

Hopsecutioner-Sqaure-M-300x300.jpg

mmmmmmmMMMMMmmmmmmm, Terrapin.

bejacob,

You ought to be so proud of yourself!

You bring "Good tidings", with your generous gifts.  They help "Save Lives", and provide camaraderie among MRI's!

"Viva, la medicine"  ( A salute to Cinco d'Mayo", coming up)!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Yes, the pair of you look happy and relaxed.  Good going.

Hey brightlybob, you know we were just in England last month...

(Though not Merry Olde England...  Hmmm... What is Merry Olde England? ...)

"They call thee Merry England, in old time;

A happy people won for thee that name

With envy heard in many a distant clime..."

bejacob, looking forward to viewing some updated maps.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

AH, a little Wordsworth to start the day. Uplifting pluto77

I do remember you were planning that UK trip(I think we exchanged correspondence about it). I hope it went well and if you're ever this side of the pond again with time on your hands, do contact me to see if we can arrange a meet up...

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Yes, I recall the conversation (most helpful and thanks.)  Alas, we didn't hire a car this time and probably a good choice for my first visit.  Now that I sort of have a feel for the place, the roads, driving culture, etc., next trip I won't feel intimidated by the prospect of driving.

I do plan to return someday... at least I brought home a few hundred pounds in good faith that it will happen.  Just can't say when, though when it does, I will have nothing but time on my hands!  (That's spelled R - E - T - I - R - E - M - E - N - T !!  )

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Sounds like you guys had a great visit.  Always cool to put a face to a screen name and to swap travel stories.  If my travels ever take me to Columbus or Athens I'll be sure to look you guys up!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Sounds and looks like you guys had a great time bejacob!  Looking forward to meeting up with you in Honolulu later this year and possibly tryt53 and pluto77 in SEAtown shortly after! 

CariJ, lindseyh and joshm, I'll also be in P-town later this year if you guys are interested in meeting up!