23 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2016 8:51 AM by vertol46 RSS

Honeymoon suggestions for France

checkheck Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I hope this finds you all well.  My fiancé and I are getting married a year from now and are looking to take a 10-14 day honeymoon to France.  She has hinted that this is where she would like to go - thus we will be going!  However, I have never been to France and don't know what to expect.

I am a PP Marriott member and hope to be able to use points for air and hotel.  I know we would want to stay a few nights in Paris and then be able to travel throughout the Country.  Thoughts and suggestions on where to stay?  What are some fun/cool romantic ideas?

I know France has multiple wine regions but I don't see any Marriott hotels in the Bordeaux region.  Thoughts on where we should stay should we go that route?  Other wine regions we should look at?

Ideally we would stay 7 nights in one location to take advantage of the mileage option to redeem points but I am really open to figuring out what is best and how we should allot our time.

Thanks for your help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France
France
Cap d'Ail, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte de Monaco
  • Re: Honeymoon suggestions for France
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Aha, La belle France. Tres bon!

And an excellent place to burn your MR point stash, the central Paris hotels, The Ren Vendome, Champs Elysees, Arc De Triomphe Ren are all top picks, super central but with the price to match meaning it's a great value place to redeem. A honeymoon in France without the city of light is like Champagne and strawberries without the champagne. And without the strawberries either! If the points are low, or the budget more limited then the Rive Gauche Marriott is a good choice, esay to get to from CDG on the RER B and cheap rates. It's a half hour walk or simple metro ride from the next door station to Central Paris. The Courtyard Paris Boulogne is another well regarded slightly off centre choice.

Less than 90 miles north-west of Paris stands the historic city of Rouen. Even though over 40% of the historic city was lost during WW2 there's still plenty of fabulous history and of course the gaspingly gothic cathedral. And theres a Marriott too.

Marriott also has plenty of options on the Riviera, around Nice, Monaco and Cannes. The Porte Monaco is functional, and right on a marina. The JW in Cannes is well placed and the Nice Boscolo is pretty spectacular.

IM afraid that away from Paris and the Riviera Marriotts coverage is very poor, Lyons, Lille and Aix en Provence (north of Marseilles) is probably about it. But then again why not have 5 nights at Marriott in Paris, 5 on the Riviera and the remaining nights at more local establishments, say somewhere like Champagne? Whatever you decide, enjoy! France is beautiful in the Spring and early summer.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

II've just cottoned onto the fact that your redemption plans include the travel package which is of course miles plus a 7-night voucher. You could certainly easily spend 7 nights in either Paris or on the Riviera.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Would stay in paris . I have stayed at rhe arc ren and marroitt CE  and both are wonderful. Ypu can take a train for the day to rouen and agree with bob it is worth the trip.

joshm Member

Congratulations on the wedding to come, checkheck!

As brightlybob and jerryl have done, there are sure to be more insights coming in from members of the community that have experience in that region.

Additionally, if you have any questions or need any help at all while making these plans, Don't hesitate to reach out!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Hi checkheck

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and a great choice for a romantic honeymoon.  You could definitely spend 7 nights in Paris without the worry of reaching the boredom threshold, and making use of a travel package is definitely the best bang for your buck, unless you already have a ton of miles stacked up with AA, DL, or UA (the foreign carriers like BA and AF will kill you with fuel surcharges).  If you already have a ton of miles, you then might want to opt for 5 nights in Paris, and then split the rest of your time elsewhere, with so many places to enjoy in France, but again you can't go wrong with a whole week in Paris.

For Paris, there are a number of nice Marriott properties that won't let you down in the memorable (in a good way, naturally ) department.  To piggyback onto jerryl's recommendation for the renaissance-paris-arc-de-triomphe-hotel, I would like to also recommend the paris-marriott-champs-elysees-hotel or the paris-marriott-opera-ambassador-hotel, giving the edge to the Marriott Opera Ambassador Hotel, which I recently stayed at and is now my new Paris favorite (gorgeous property, great lobby and public spaces, nice restaurant, concierge lounge with view of ET, awesome executive room (one of my favorite Marriott rooms ever.)  I'm sure that if you email them in advance of your stay, informing them that it is your honeymoon and asking them how they might assist you with making it special for your wife, they will create some nice surprises for you upon your arrival - they totally spoiled my mom when it somehow slipped that it was her birthday, suddenly her lobby wine was complimentary, then next she knew, the front desk came over and presented her with a 50% discount voucher in the restaurant, then goodies delivered to the room, it was really a nice gesture, especially considering that the hotel was obviously enjoying high occupancy.  They just had the - best - most hospitable staff I've yet to experience in Paris (after 5 Paris stays and 5 Paris Marriotts.)

You can read about all the usual sightseeing suspects just about anywhere for when visiting Paris, but for some romantic options, here are my suggestions (and not knowing anything about you or what you and your fiancee enjoy doing)...

1. Of course you must go all the way to the top of the Eiffel Tower and then plant one of your best smooches on your new bride.  Sounds cliché, but it will be memorable.  I know, this one's a no brainer, but a gentle reminder, just in case.  Get advance reservations and go when it's not so crowded.
    2. Pedestrian bridges on the Seine.  Here are my favorites: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/people/pluto77/blog/2012/04/25/my-favorite-bridges-in-paris  Pont des Arts (but leave the locks at home), Pont Neuf and Pont Saint-Louis.  Totally romantic.
    3. Pack a picnic (simple, baguette, wine and cheese, there are boulangeries ("bous"), fromageries and wine stores everywhere, not sure where, ask your concierge) and dine on one of the pedestrian bridges or head to one of the many beautiful parks in Paris.  Jardin Tuileries, Jardin du Luxembourg (one of my faves because there's just so much to do and observe and be amused by, kids on ponies, puppet theatres, people floating boats in the large central fountain, men playing petanque, children's laughter, spoken french, flowers, trees, shade, breezes and on and on), Buttes Chaumont (great waterfall there), or Champ des Mars at the Eiffel Tower has all kinds of paths (these parcs are just to name a few, and not to even mention the two largest, bois de Boulogne and bois de Vicennes).  Or even the smaller ones can be the most romantic, like little park at Square du Temple in the 3rd or Place des Vosges in the 4th, just hang out and relax with the locals.
    4. Not if, but when you visit the cathedrale Notre Dame, be sure to walk around to the very back of the church to Square Jean XXIII, very quaint and then cross Pont de l'Archevêché, and then on the left bank, scatter down the steps and just sit on the quai and watch the Seine go by (more wine, cheese and baguettes, please).
    5. Do you like to Tango?  Wait for it... Ile Saint-Louis is an island neighborhood in the middle of the Seine in the middle of Paris.  To get there from behind Notre Dame, head across Pont Saint-Louis (very romantic if you happen to catch a french street band playing traditional french music on the bridge) to Ile Saint-Louis.  Grab some ice cream at world famous Berthillions, and walk down the central east-west lane of the island and peruse quaint little shops and restaurants.  Ponder what sort of people live behind the large doors leading to private courtyards and apartments smack dab in the middle of Paris.  When you have finished enjoying the charms of Ile Saint-Louis, cross back over to the left bank on Pont du Sully.  As you cross Pont du Sully over to the left bank, you will look down on your left and see a quai.  It is quai Saint-Bernard.  You've got to walk down this quai.  It's got a great path right along the river's edge that goes for a while, and you will see a number of "ampitheatre" like places.  Come back before twilight, and you will see, and can participate in if you so desire, people of all skill levels - doing the Tango!  Yep, that's right.  The perfect date spot.  Totally mesmerizing even just to watch.
    6. Speaking of churches, there are often flyers about (or in churches) advertising evening concerts for incredibly cheap prices.  Take in a session of Vivaldi by a violin quartet in a hundreds of years old gothic or Romanesque church.  And speaking of old churches, read the Da Vinci Code, then be sure to visit Saint-Sulpice on the left bank, as well as Saint-Germain-des-Prés (I mean, c'mon you have to visit the oldest church in Paris after all, you just got married!)
    7. This leads to the next romantic option, Montmartre.  Winding paths, little stairs, cobblestones, get a street or two off the tourist path and discover the beauty of this area.  After you have visited the magnificent Sacre Couer and enjoyed the panoramic view of Paris from a top the hill, walk around to the left of the basilica towards the back side and once you've passed the tower, turn left down one of the side streets and make your way back to the bottom, meandering through Place du Tertre.  One of the most romantic things to do is to get lost somewhere.  Go for it.
    8. This might sound a little creepy, but take a stroll through a cemetery and step into the past (like Père Lachaise, somehow, beautiful and peaceful, lots of famous people buried there.)  Winding little paths with their own street names, and tombs that look like little houses.
    9. A favorite thing of mine to do... a bit quirky perhaps, but still fun, Canal Saint-Martin.  Not really sure why I like it here, perhaps because it's not touristy and off the central axis.  It's just an off beat, interesting canal in around the 10th arr, about 2+ miles long, lined with some converted warehouses and art galleries.  You can watch the boats enter the locks and rise with the water as each lock fills, then releases the boats as they move on their way down the next level of the canal.  Order a pizza delivered from Pink Flamingo, then stroll down the canal with the pink balloon they give you and sit and wait for your pizza to be delivered.  The balloon will be used as a beacon for the delivery person on bicycle to locate you and deliver your pizza!  You can stroll all the way to La Villette.  At La Villette in the 19th, you will find the newest music venue in Paris, Philharmonie de Paris.  It's fantastic!  They have a lot of world class musicians from around the globe scheduled for the 2015-16 season.  We attended a recital by Sunwook Kim.  Absolutely divine.
    10. Finally, how 'bout some jazz?  Some seriously seductive blues jazz can be enjoyed at le Caveau des Oubliettes (52 Rue Galande, 75005, metro Maubert-Mutaulité).  Get there before 9pm if you want a seat.  Forget the bar upstairs, it's all about the underground wine cellar, which is where you'll find the music.  For some jazz - jazz, try Autour de Midi et Minuit in Monmartre.

I think that's enough to keep a couple of love birds busy being love birds in the City of Light.  For romantic options elsewhere in France, I can suggest the Loire Valley.  There are a bunch of romantic castles (châteaux) to keep love in the air, 71 to be exact.  These are the ones that I can recommend:

1. Château Asay-le-Rideau, beautiful and has a mote and a nice park, situated next to the cutest little french town, with restaurants and shops.  The inside of the Château is closed for renovation, but still worth a visit along with it's cute little town.
    2. Château Langeais, beautiful old castle and gardens, situated in another quaint little town, Langeais.  We stayed at a place called a la Fleur des Lys (www.booking.com), very reasonable and charming and dine at a fantastic french restaurant, michelin quality, not michelin prices.
    3. Château Usse, beautiful castle and grounds along with a chapel, because every king has to have his own church.
    4. Château Cheverny.  Love this one because the family still owns it and lives there.  Beautiful park grounds and a real working kennel with hounds.  Just outside the castle is a great french restaurant.
    5. Château Chambord, gigantic castle (unfurnished however) that you can get lost in, I'm convinced.  Beautiful, interesting and gorgeous parks surrounding it.
    6. Château Chennonceau, love this one with it's beautiful flower gardens and tree lined lane.  Interesting castle built for a queen, interesting kitchens and ballroom which spans across the river.

Not in Loire, but proximal to Paris:

1. Château Fontainebleau, since the 12th century, all of the kings of France have lived in it.
    2. The most romantic and my favorite by a mile is Château Versailles.  Once you get out of the palace, the real romantic journey begins.  The gardens and lakes and fountains are beautiful.  Down at the head of the lake, you can rent bicycles and then bike out to Marie Antoinette's Trianon.  It's beautiful there.  You will bike past fields with sheep.  The Trianon with it's walkways and gardens is lovely.  As far as the main lake, you must rent a row boat and go out on the lake.  Versailles is huge and I'm convinced you can literally walk your legs off!  In addition to bicycles, you can make use of a tram and also rent little golf carts (guessing these are expensive; we did the better priced bicycles - so fun.)  Back at the palace there is a café where you can have coffee/tea and - yum!  real french Macaroons!

Hope this all gets the wheels turning a little bit.  Happy planning and happy honeymoon!

ramoneur Platinum

definitely the Loire Valley;

you should be mobile though; rent/bring/buy a car;

feel adventurous; don't plan ahead;

book your next hotel(s) for tomorrow, today in your current hotel(s)

cdk1 Platinum

Great information on Paris.  Has anyone stayed at the Renaissance Hotel Parc Trcadero?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

checkheck,

Please go to search, inquire on "V-E Day, May 8, 2014"!

You will find information on a most interesting day in The Champaign Region in France. 

Will have more on Loire Valley, Normandy, and The Med. Sea area of France, should you need it!

Good luck with your plans!

Location Brand Hotel
    Cap d'Ail, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte de Monaco
    savvypaddy Member

Hi. I've traveled a bit in France and elsewhere. By far the most beautiful area of France is the Cote D'Azur. I'd suggest a train from Paris - you can travel through the night if you prefer. Its a lot less hassle than going through any of the Parisian airports which, quite honestly, are hell.

Suggest basing yourself in Nice, at least initially. You can do day trips to the all the place on your list - Cannes, St. Tropez, Antibes, Monaco etc. You could choose to stay overnight in any of these and there are plenty of hotels with the "wow" factor.

You can also easily visit Northern Italy. There's a great market there that's worth a visit - Ventimiglia (I can't remember what day of the week, but ask around).

For the "get-away" have a look at St. Paul de Vence. Its pure heaven.

The Cote D'Azur and Hawaii are easily my two favourite places. Do your research and I'm sure you'll love it.

I could be cruel and say give Paris a miss, but thats another story......

SavvyPaddy

teunbeun Silver

Having visited Paris maybe 50-75 times, some of my favorites are:

- best view of the city: Parc de Belleville (a bit tricky to find)

- most romantic walk: Canal St Martin (better than the Seine)

- if you're up for it, the Velo Libre bike system is the quickest way to get around, and you see a lot!

- Rue Mouffetard, and Place de la Contrescarpe are unforgettable

- 5th and 6th Arondissement are my favorites

- Try Place des Vosges for a picknick

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Awesome list you've compiled here, teunbeun. I've never heard of the bike system there, but I will have to check it out next time I'm in Paris

Also, welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insider forum! This is a place for members to share experiences (as you've done here), perspectives, photos, and ask questions to a group of experience travelers. Be sure to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to enhance your Insiders experience.

You're always welcome to reach out to me (CariJ) lindseyh, or joshm with any questions or concerns about anything Marriott Rewards or the Insiders site. We make up the moderation team for the forum and are here for support.

teunbeun Silver

Thx, Cari! Am new here, still trying to figure out how the interface works...

Kind regards, Tom

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Let me know if you have any questions or need support. I'm sure you will catch on quickly

teunbeun Silver

Thx, CariJ!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Rue de clare is best market area

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

My suggestion would be go to Italy!!!!

lovelyone Member

great info,,,thanks

laketahoe Platinum 3 Reviews

Take the Best of France tour by Trafalgar.  Let them do all the arrangement for you and just enjoy your honeymoon.

vertol46 Platinum

My wife and I honeymooned in France in Sept. 2014. Perfect time to tour wine country. We started in Paris and stayed at the Vacation Club near Disneyland. Took the metro into Paris (about 45 minutes). Beautiful countryside location with spacious, two-bedroom villa. Did a B&B in Beaune to tour Burgundy (with a day trip to Vonnas to eat at Georges Blanc's marvelous restaurant). Then a B&B in Annecy. Both beautiful towns that are too small for Marriott. Then the Marriott at Cap d'Ail (but you will go insane finding it on your own, even with GPS). Walk to Monaco. Many options. Have fun!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

checkheck,

First, try to go to past posts on France!  You may see something that you like.  We can all help with information that may help your plans.

A couple of thoughts:

Paris

Possible "Day trip" to London on the Eurostar.  You can see the attractions from the "Big Red Bus" and return at night.

Champaign Region

Normandy

If you really have time, take the Eurostar to Southern France and spend a day in Monte Carlo.

Whatever you decide, you will have a wonderful time.  Congratulations!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...