32 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2015 3:16 PM by phctourist RSS

Being Walked at 1:30AM!!!!!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So am haven't posted in a while, and may not again.

Here's my rant: Lifetime Platinum, still stay at Marriott allot, but not 100% like I used to. So I fly to NY (where I live in the area of NYC) from a Business Trip to LA. Land at 1am, and have an 8am meeting next day (this all happened last night/today) which is why I got a room in NYC versus going home and adding 2.5 hours of commute to a long day. I have a Platinum elite reservation at the Renaissance Times Square. I arrive at hotel at 1:45AM. Hotel says, we have good news and bad news. Bad news, we are sold out, no room for you, so sorry. I say how can this be? well, seems like a large group at Ren failed to check out. How can Ren not know this?????. How can they not say to them, sorry, we have people checking in, you must leave, we will re accommodate you at Marriott TS if you want. So you say, what is the good news? The "Good news", we are walking you to the Marriott in Times Square, we will pay for your room. Given my status, given a guarantee rez, I was gobsmacked at there not being a room for me. No offer to help me get to Marriott (yes, I know its 1.5 block away). So at almost 2am, I walk with a cert from the Ren for a "free room" at Marriott. The Marriott check in didnt know I was coming (despite the Ren saying they called for me). So I get the $100 (it was slipped under my door prior to my check out at 7am - , Boo Yah), but no credit for a night stayed, no points, nothing yet in my account.

Tell me, how can the ren not have a room for me????

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Being Walked at 1:30AM!!!!!
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I'm so sorry you had to experience that, stelzer001. That sounds super frustrating! If you'd like, I'd be happy to have the team to look into your missing points for you. Just send me a DM with your Rewards number and contact information, and I can have them get started.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Wish I could figure out how to do a DM, but I am tired and working and multitasking, so sorry, cant do a DM, but anyway here's the deal. I called the Marriott CS, they have someone on it, and they gave me their name, and direct extension, said if I dont hear back by Monday 5/4, I should reach back to them, which I will do. Also, lodged a formal complaint with Marriott CS. I also heard from the GM at the ren TS, he apologized, and is addressing the topic, that is, why there was no room for me. .Todl me that in 20 years, this is only second time this has happened. Also told me there are some new people at ren TS, and maybe a training issue, they might have given away the room in error and/or, allowed extensions of guest stays without looking to see what the pending check-ins were. Sounds pretty basic, which is what I told the GM.

IAHFLYER: thanks for your words of support. What really gets me is they were so nonchalant about it, like its routine to walk someone at 1:30AM. And did the REN TS email me ahead of time?, nope., I got the welcome to NY email and let us help plan your stay (hint: I am a 4th generation Native NYer, and know more about NYC than most, not a boast, just that I have lived all over NYC and now in the Burb's and I commute to NYC 5 days a week and into the City for fun 1-2 times a month). They couldn't even get the distance to the Marriott TS right!!!

Cant wait to see if I actually get the ultimate rez guarantee points and $$. All I know is the number of time I have to ask for my 500 plat points, even telling them at check in and check out and still not getting them never equals the $100 promise doesn't inspire confidence.

So wait and see,.I will advise community on what I hear and when, but now its back to work and trying to stay awake!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

WOW that is a rant especially coming from you stelzer001, long time no see good to hear from you even if it is a rant!

Ya know I've run across this a few times over the last couple of years where I was told we'd get a certain room number as we called ahead to request due to it being in a perfect location for view and quiet.  Arriving at the hotel we get told "so sorry, but the previous guest didn't check-out".  Exactly, how does this happen and why can't Marriott tell them they can remain at the hotel if there are rooms available, but not in this room as it is already booked for another guest?  This makes no sense to me at all....now I'm ranting and for good reason as you struck a nerve.

Another good question I have related to your experience last night is, why did the TS Ren NOT email you ahead of time when they knew of the situation they had created?  HMMMM that would have seemed like a nice thing to do as well as give you the reservation confirmation they made for you at the Marriott Marquis.

Think we need to pass this issue along to NathalieF, CariJ, lindseyh and joshm to research and give some answers.

Opps, looks like we already have someone checking on it.

Message was edited by: IAHFLYR

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Aren't they supposed to pay for your room at the other place & also give you 90,000 points for the ultimate guarantee?  Stand firm on getting the 90,000 points; $100 is not the proper compensation when you're walked.

Cheers.

Sharon (and others), I have received the UG points, and the GM has told me it takes two weeks to process the money side as his hotel needs to pay me and it goes thru the local hotel accounting function (sort of like being a food vendor to the hotel restaurant and waiting for the check to arrive). So, by the end of next week, I hope that I have received the UG compensation. While the other room was paid for (I was given a voucher that basically said, sorry, we cannot accommodate you, please go to the Marriott Marquis in TS, NYC). so assuming I get the $$, the last thing that sticks in my craw is I don't get the room night stay into my yearly total, maybe not a big deal since I am life plat anyway, and I had already met the spring meagbonus so no points lost one that, but still, for any road warrior, you can understand, every night counts, at least if for no other reason that you can see how many nights you stayed in a year.  Add to that the Marriott Marquis asked me if I wanted the plat bonus, and I said yes, I want the 500 points, but with no stay recorded, I guess the system cant give me the points. OK, enough rant, just wanted to update all, given the magnitude of what happened.  Happy stays to all and hope you dont ever get walked the way I did.

Jsucool76 Gold

I would ask for the money just like you would if you get IDB from an airline.

"I want the check or cash now"

if an Elite Member has a confirmed reservation, but is relocated from the hotel upon arrival, the property will pay the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation in place on that date under the Program Rules

thanks and I do hear you. I will be patient and allow them to get this to me next week, if it isnt in, then I will report to Marriott CS who has an open case on this and let them help me, if they fail to do so, I will simply cancel the 4 reservations I have in the system now, redeem by 1 million remaining points and say goodbye to marroitt for ever. Considering the spend I make on travel, if they dont want to honor this, then they will be deprived of revenue which is about $60K/year on hotels.I left Delta and United due to service and related issues and they $0 of my $100K/year ariline spend. I vote with my $ and patronage. Thanks for your input and I hope marriott does right by me

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I hope you eventually reach a positive resolution in this matter.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

That doesn't mean that you get the compensation "on that date". It means that you get the compensation that was effective under the rules that existed "on that date". So if the rules change tomorrow you get compensated based on the old rules.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Marriotts Plat guarantee is in my view very good, and as long as Marriott sorts out transport, I'd be happy for an occasional walk. In my view this was handed very badly by the Ren.

IF instead the FD had apologised profusely "I am very sorry, Mr Stlelzer001 but a whole group that was due to checkout today didn't, and its all but impossible to forcibly remove people from hotel rooms these days, but I have spoken to the Marriott Marquis just one block down and arranged a room there at our expense, and will now accompany you there personally to check you in and help you through this. Of course the Platinum guarantee applies to your reservation and I will be depositing 90,000 points into your account and refunding your advance payment to us. I really can only apologise and assure you it's only a minute walk around corner. Now may I take your case?"

Put that way, it hard not to see this as 90,000 points and a free night for an accompanied walk one block down! I'd find it hard not to grin like a Cheshire Cat...

paddyscherrer Platinum

you´re lucky...walk me too please! For 90.000 points feel even free to wake me up in the middle of the night!

I wish I was smiling at 2AM, and after a 17 hour workday (inlcuding working the entire flight from LA to NYC), all I wanted was a bed (clean) and to be able to sleep for 5 hours before my 8am meeting. Its a good thing all I had was a roller bag. If getting more points was my objective, I can accumulate those thru stays, credit card bonus spend, and the occassional megabonus. So while the points are nice, the loss of sleep, the being walked at almost 2AM, the lack of any advance warning (its not like Marriott doesnt have my email), and the whole way the renaissance TS handled this just makes me feel like less than a valued Platinum. Offering to help me with my bag never crossed the FD clerks mind, she was going thru the motions. As amtter of info, after I signed the cert for being walked, she told me she needed to make a copy and she disappeared for 5 minutes (how long does it take to make a copy?) and another FD person showed up and had to go look for her. It was like the keystone cops but not funny.If you know the Ren TS, the lobby is on the 2nd floor, accessible via en elevator, and at Street level there is a security guard. When I came back down, he aslked me what was wrong, and I told him I as being wlaked. he looked at me and said "really, and they didnt send someone to help you get to the MM TS?" He offered if I wanted to wait to help me, but the clock was ticking and I just wanted to get into a bed.

As a point of interest, see this link

United States Hotel Liability Law Summary and Law Digest

Right to Evict Persons Admitted as Guests

Hotels may generally evict a guest and keep the room rental payment, despite the eviction, for the following reasons:

• disorderly conduct
      • nonpayment
      • using the premises for an unlawful purpose or act
      • bringing property onto the premises that may be dangerous to others
      • failing to register as a guest
      • using false pretenses to obtain accommodations
      • being a minor unaccompanied by an adult registered guest
      • violating federal, state, or local hotel laws or regulations
      • violating a conspicuously posted hotel or motel rule
      • failing to vacate a room at the agreed checkout time

So in my view the Renaissance TS failed to follow the law, and failed to anticipate that I would still come for my guaranteed reservation (which per new Marriott policy, I would have had to cancel 24 hours in advance, which I did not do, and if I was a no show, they would have charged me for the room, no matter what).

All in, this was poorly handled by the renaisance.

So to Paddyscherrer, I wouldnt wish the being walked on you, even for the points, but if you want to try it, just dont arrive at 1:45AM!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I Always have real giggle whenever laws regarding eviction in the west are quoted. The theory is great, the practice is that such laws always fall foul of lots of others. Telling the guest to leave, threatening behaviour. Manhandling to remove the guest, assault... and battery. Removal of luggage, interference with goods. Then there's questions of reasonable force, duty of care, both to the guest and their possessions, and I bet there was a valuable something that's now missing from the guests possessions so now the police are called for theft. Yup, forcibly removing a guest is an invitation to keep the lawyers busy for months. It's easier to simply charge the guests credit card at rack rate plus fees and walk someone else. Sorrry, but whilst we never voted for this society, it's the one we've got. You were walked 'cos some selfish idiot decided the rules did not apply to him. And guess what, as long as he doesn't mind paying through the nose, they don't.

The Ren could have handled the issue and how it effected you far better, but forget about pretending the hotel could forcibly evict just like that. The words are far easier than the execution and the after effects far worse. Such guests ususally leave after a night or 2 and end up calling abusively a few weeks later when they get their credit card bill. At least it's not a fleet of lawyers and a flurry of writs.

paddyscherrer Platinum

Man, I get the point, You are right on that one

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Great suggestion Brightlybob.  You captured my thoughts on the subject and said it better than I could have!

paddyscherrer Platinum

I think there is a common understanding in this discussion. Being walked is never fun, however depending on the compensation might be a good deal. But nobody wants to know me grumpy after only a few hours of sleep. But I totally agree with brightlybob that "throwing" guests out of a room (booked or not) is a massiv deal and really keeping lawyers busy (and not only in the US)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

well it happened to me once in a non Marriott in Murray Hill section of NY. Got in around 1Am( with a non cancelable room ) and was told they were filled but a sister hotel up the street was waiting for me. Only problem is it was raining so had to walk in the rain . Remember you will be charged anyway so filling ones room means they bill it twice

Jerryl: so sorry to hear. The only other time I was ever walked was about 20 years ago in Indianapolis, 11PM arrival at Sheraton, they say sorry, no room, yes, we know you have a guaranteed rez, heres a cert, go to the four points, 3 miles away (I had a rental car, or I would have been walking in the rain). The four points was in no way comparable to the Sheraton, and as a result, I have not stayed in any starwood property since at least 1995. There were no ultimate guarantees, and my written (yes, a real letter, mailed thru the USPO) protest got a form response, of, really sorry, we did best we could, here a cert for one free night at a hotel in the USA (no levels hotels back then). All I can say is being walked is terrible, and late at night is the worst. The lack of empathy in each case is what really gets to me, and seems like they didn't care too much about you JerryL.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

funny I had a similar experience with Sheraton . Had a room in Boston and on that day there was a snowstorm so called hotel to cancel and phones were out of order so left message. the next week I showed up and they hit me with cancellation fee. They refused to wave and I wrote to their corporate office and never got a reply . needless to say I only stayed at a Sheraton once since over 15 yrs with maybe a 1000 nights at other hotels . pretty expensive for them for  130 cancellation fee. Customer is always right

paddyscherrer Platinum

Here comes a similar story from me. When I started my worklive 10 years ago I was sent to Long Islang, NY. The first 3 weeks I was switching between a Residence Inn, a FS Marriott and a Sheraton. Although complaining to Sheraton I never got my points, but had my first 15.000 Marriott points and already Silver. My buiness life switched to 80% europe (I am german anyway), but I have never seen a Sheraton from the inside since then.

So to all in Community: Hotel promised I would get a tracking number for the cash part of the Ultimate Guarantee (so I could see when they sent it) by one week from May 5 (that was yesterday). Still nothing from Hotel. I Dm'd LindseyH 4 days ago and haven't heard back from her either (not a criticism, just a statement). Called the Plat Line (again, 4th time), they are contacting Property Support, which they tell me has 3 business days to respond. I think I have been patient. I have been graceful and polite with all at Marriott, but all I seem to get is promises that aren't kept. I just don't get why this is taking almost 2 weeks to get actioned. Am I being unreasonable? Does anyone have any advice? Should I just start cancelling my reservations (which I would do by phone with each hotel GM so they hear why they are losing my business), so maybe that would get some attention? Your thoughts?

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Wow, thats nasty.

You have been patient and gone through the proper channels. If they come back to you I think you have a case to "up the anti" just for the frustration involved. Your being more than gracious IMHO thus far. For myself it is disconcerting that they would not at the least have come back to you at this point in time...

JD

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Call Arnie directly and tell him what's happening or at least his personal secretary. I bet you get action, if not then cancel your reservations as it would speak volumes about the lack of concern that Marriott has and then you'd know it starts at the top and trickles down.

My wife had a situation a few years back where she lost thousands of points for a weekend of meetings taking up a huge ballroom at a property.  She complained up and down the food chain and got nothing but deaf ears, so she somehow got in contact with Mr. Marriott's personal secretary and soon the GM of the property was no longer there as well as she got all her points credited to her account as well as some bonus points for her troubles.  All in all I think it took about a month for her to deal with corporate nonsense before she started up the Mr. Marriott line and then it took a day or two until she had the points in her account.

I've never been walked.  I guess I've been lucky.   I can empathize, but I've been fortunate.

I can only imagine how angry I would have been.  I believe that these things cannot be helped some times, but a hotel should bend over backwards to minimize the difficulties caused.  In none of the cases cited, above, did the hotels do any more than the required minimum, and that stinks!

rb84 Platinum

Unless you're strapped for cash...I would be patient. They have told you that you'll be paid and as long as you're waiting...you have the power. Give it some time and if you're still without then contact Platinum Support. I wouldn't cancel a bunch of reservations over this episode...unless you like another chain better than Marriott.

Thanks, I do like Hyatt allot, and I am Platinum there and dont need much to get to diamond. They just don't have the footprint of Marriott, but in the next few week, they are where I am and I can easily switch to them if needed. I am giving it till the end of the week, then I will reach out to Arne and let his assistant shunt me to the sidelines and then I will cancel and rebook at Hyatt.

No, not a strapped for cash issue (thankfully), but here is what the GM at the Hotel emailed me last night:

Good Morning Stelzer001,

My apologies for the delay. The check was processed through our Marriott Business Service Department which is not on property and released on May 8th. We unfortunately were not provided with a tracking number. I anticipate its arrival to the address on your profile any day now.

Warm Regards,

Mr XYZ l SR. OPERATIONS MANAGER

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel 714 Seventh Avenue | New York NY 10036  

So now I can see if it is truly one of the third oldest mistruths or if it truly is a case of the check is in the mail.

OK the check came in yesterday, so now the UG is satisfied, but I know if I hadn't been as persistent as I was it would not have happened. Thanks to all for your support and and advice

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I have, on more than one occasion, overstayed my reservation. My travel plans changed so I had to stay an extra day or two. I can see how a convention or some other event might end up with a number of people overstaying. Big hotels, like the Ren, might have overbooked slightly figuring one or two people wouldn't show. Instead a whole bunch of people overstayed. Thus no room for you, even though guaranteed.

They did the right thing (almost) in getting you a room elsewhere. They should have supplied transportation for you. But sometimes rooms are unavailable and nothing anyone can do about it.

No fun for you, but as long as the hotel meets all its promises re the guarantee (refund, room elsewhere, etc.) chalk this up to "Travel".

tjd Platinum 6 Reviews

This is a pretty horrible story.    As a Lifetime Platinum member staying at that property next week with my family I'm nervous.    But most importantly to me is the Hotel has your contact information.   You should have landed in NY from LA with a half a dozen messages from the hotel about them being overbooked.     The lack of care to the LP and PE guest is getting disturbing.

tjd: I hope you don't have my experience, unless you want a free room and points, so maybe confirm 24, 48 and 72 hours out.

The one thing that I will say in defense of Marriott is that I understand that the hotel is prohibited by law from forcing people to leave. 

What Marriott did wrong was failing to notify you and not offering you assistance with the move.  They absolutely owed you that.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...