13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2015 2:15 AM by brightlybob RSS

Who has the authority to extend stays when rooms are sold out?

wanderer168 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I've got a small dilemma that I'm hoping this forum can help me with:  I'm on assignment in Detroit, and my current reservation goes from 4/6-4/30.  I just found out that the assignment will last through the end of 2015.  I was able to add on a further reservation from 5/1 through 5/25, but it looks like after 5/25, the Marriott that I'm currently staying at has no more rooms.

The Marriott I'm in is a perfect location fohe job, and I'd like to stay in the same place (same room if possible), but when I try to book anything after 5/25, there are no rooms available.  So, my questions are:  how full is "full"?  And who would have the authority to allow me to extend my stay for a good 6 months?  Is that the general manager? his/her assistant?  And if so, is there an easy way to contact him/her?

Thanks for any suggestions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Detroit, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
  • Re: Who has the authority to extend stays when rooms are sold out?
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

just talk to the manager if you are at the hotel. If the hotel is sold out one of those days they might be able to put you in some sort of wait list and let you know as soon as something opens up.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rb84 Platinum

I Agree. You may want to start with management a notch below GM just in case you want some latitude to go higher. I've had good luck in larger hotels with Front Office Managers, or they are also called Guest Service Managers. I would not bother with desk agents...you do need management. A way to contact them is just ask for them at the desk during normal business hours during the week. If they are not there, leave your info and agree that they will contact you. I would not go into detail until you speak in person. when they went to get them, I said I'd be over in the restaurant. That way I had them away from their employees and could talk with them easily. That far out, they should welcome you with open arms. Good luck!

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

With that many nights, you should be taking a Plat challenge-you will surely make it! One benefit of a plat is guaranteed reservations with 48 hours notice. (Few exceptions apply that must be approved by corp. For example, if the Superbowl is in town.) To take the challenge, call MR and tell them your situation and you would like the challenge. I think its called "Taste of Platinum".

Important note: Many hotels require a checkout after a certain number of days. 30 is the number I have seen. After that point, you become a tenant with the same rights as any other tenant-requiring eviction etc.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Ive just checked the Detroit at Renaissance and it's available for checkin every day for the rest of this year except a couple in October. I can also book 30, 60 or even 120 nights, but I am a plat and hence have the advantage of Plat overide no matter how busy unless the hotel has corporate approval which I assume it does for those couple of night in October. As a silver, if any of your nights cross over a full night you'll get a refusal for the entire period. If you want an idea of the nights that are blocking you off, go to Marriott.com, search for Detroit ticking "my dates are flexible" and selecting just a 1 night stay instead of a return date. All hotel will then come up, Select yours and you will go to a calendar indicating what checkin dates are available and at what cost. The dates marked "not available for checkin" are those that are blocking off your booking.

2 Suggestions come to mind here, namely:

1. On a contract like yours, ring the hotel and speak to a duty manager, explain you have a very long work contract and want to book out a room for its duration. The duty manager will then put you in touch with the correct manager to deal with this, when I had this with the Manchester Airport Marriott it was the revenues manager. You will be able to negotiate a "corporate rate" for your bookings with that hotel and, if you want it, that could include a super-overide. Remember, this is a discussion withn the hotel direct so the rate, overrides, room types, upgrades, marriott points and night credits can all be up for negotiation. It's an interesting process.

2. If your negotiation includes Marriott points, then uou could try for a Platknum challenge, they are usually based in 9 stays over 2 months, but can be 18 nights. You'll easily do that and once completed will then get the full platinum bonus on your folios

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes as others have said talk to the GM.  you are staying 48 straight nights hard to believe they wont do something for you

wanderer168 Silver

Thanks everyone!  This has been very helpful, and not only that, I just learned about "Platinum Challenge" from this thread.

I'll see if I can contact the General Manager and hopefully work something out.  Thanks again!

Jsucool76 Gold

Definitely take the challenge and see if you can get your status updated mid-stay when you hit the threshold for passing the challenge.

I think with "Taste of Plat" you get the status right away. You have to complete the required stays to keep the status.

Jsucool76 Gold

Some people are only offered the "Road To" challenge.

Also, if OP is silver, they might only be offered a gold challenge.

Gotcha. I have only heard of the "Taste of". I would def. ask for the taste instead of the road.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

The principle benefits of gold are lounge access and room upgrades and thatll be part of his contract discussion with the hotel, so OP will want the main benefit of Plat, namely the extra points and that's very unlikely to be something the hotel will do.

AS far as I'm aware the taste challenges (where you get instantly promoted and have to do the challenge to keep the status) are only offered up by one grade, the problem for OP is once he's gold he has to then slog out the full 75 nights to plat. The road challenges (where you only get the grade after completing the challenge) are more freely offered and in his case would confer plat after only 18 nights, something he'll complete within a month. That seems the best way forwards for his circumstances.

Hence as a result of his negotiations with the hotel he'll be treated like a Gold at the Detroit hotel, so in my view his discussion with Marriott should centre on Plat status.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...