64 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2015 9:08 AM by boldie24 RSS

STRANGE FACTS ABOUT MARRIOTT. Did you know ?

PK21 Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Its surprising to know the STRANGE FACTS ABOUT MARRIOTT:

1. Marriott does not recognize a stay of a member, which is just got completed. (Unless a guest specifies the stay details to their staff).

2. Did you know: Marriott systems are not automated for stay credits. It is done manually by individual properties. So far, Marriott has been faking to its members that these are automated.

3. Marriott staff purposefully delay the stay credits of members, so that, the members can't utilize their points promptly. And, the funniest thing is, the stay credits are not done at all, unless the guests follow up with multiple staff members, to get the credits.

4. Mobile check-in facility is just a show off. You still need to stand in the queue and get the formalities done, just like the normal procedure which otherwise followed without mobile check-in.

Well.., there could be many more. At least, I could figure these out, out of my own experience since last 2 years.

I would encourage all members to voice out in this forum, if this list goes on further.

Regards.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: STRANGE FACTS ABOUT MARRIOTT. Did you know ?
    nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I can't speak to the first two issues raised by PK21 in that I have no basis to know whether either is a correct statement, but I can speak to the third and fourth issues.

As a long-time member of Marriott Rewards and fewer than 50 nights away from lifetime Platinum, I have never had to follow-up with anybody to get my "stay credits" credited to my account. They have always been automatically credited to my account. I agree that the speed with which they are credited sometimes varies from property to property, but they have never been more than five days after my stay has been completed.

Regarding mobile check-in, I agree that you still have to stand in line, but the real advantage for me has been when I've found myself arriving earlier in the day. In cases like that, I've found that my room is ready earlier than it might be if I hadn't checked in early via the mobile app.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

My experiences mirror yours. I can't speculate on the first two points brought up either but I have to say I have been pretty pleased with all my points and stays being properly credited with no effort. I think that stays and points could be credited much faster sometimes but overall I have no complaints. Even the Marriott Chase card posts the 15 annual elite nights and free cert on time every year with no effort on my part.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Regarding your post. Never had any issues with points 1,2 or 3 and as far as point 4 goes Im not sure about.

Sounds like you've had a string of bad luck...

I wouldn't say it's FACT unless it applies to a majority of MR members.

JD

PK21 Gold 1 Reviews

Hi JD,

Probably its a series of bad luck.

I do not know.

But, the question is: I can classify something as bad luck, if it happens once or twice. But, if it happens regularly with different properties and different places, then, I am sure there is something wrong.

And, who knows, people are facing such difficulties and do not raise and just switching to other hotel loyalty programs.

Anything is possible.

I guess, Marriott has lot of money, hence, they are not bothered about customer care.

Regards.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

So let me get this straight.

You voiced your opinion, (which you stated incorrectly as fact).

MRI members then took time out of their day to answer you and you get defensive and annoyed.

A Marriott employee offered to speak with you directly and on her own forwarded your concerns to her team for a resolution you insult her and get nasty. Saying things like "

The fact is: NO ONE IS BOTHERED ABOUT ANYTHING. BECAUSE, ITS MARRIOTT.

You actually cant do anything here."

The fact is, there probably is something wrong with your account as you say yourself, it isn't limited to one property but seemingly all your stays. That means that CariJ is probably on to something that your account has a glitch.

What is your intent here? To try to come to a resolution or throw a tantrum like a child? Because honestly based on your tone, it sounds like you aren't interested in correcting the problem but just want to bash Marriott as a whole.

If you want to have issues resolved and learn a great deal of info, stay on the MRI site. If you want to rant like a child about your account when everyone here is genuinely trying to help, then don't.

PK21 Gold 1 Reviews

Hi,

I guess, you have not read my points correctly.

No matter, what you write, it does not help me either way.

Regards.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Then why are you posting comments on here if you don't care what anyone has to say? No matter. Ignoring you now.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

PK21,

I've never experienced any of your supposed issues and I've been a Marriott Rewards person since 1990.  I'd suggest you take the advice of CariJ and have them look at your account rather than bash the hotel chain and others here who have given their time and efforts to offer help.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

There are alot of people checking in and out, unless you are a regular they probably wont remember you.

Reward points have always been automatically added to my account

One cannot speculate that they purposely delay them, i would guess they want less complains.

Last time i saved lots of time using mobile check in.

Lastly like people said, i dont think these are actual FACTS.

Jsucool76 Gold

Sounds like someone had a bad stay at a single hotel and is now badmouthing the entire brand.

That usually gets you what you want, right?

PK21 Gold 1 Reviews

Hi,

This is not about a single stay or single hotel.

I guess you haven't read the complete content of the post.

PK21 Gold 1 Reviews

Hi,

You are contradicting your own statement.

Your first sentence itself is opposing your second sentence.

How could you say that its a speculation. Its the reality. Probably, you dont believe because you are not aware of things.

Regards.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey PK21, thank you for sharing this with the Insiders family.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me via DM with your Rewards number, and I can pass your experience on to our team to look into. I had our team look into this and they assured me that your concerns should not be the norm for Marriott Rewards members. It appears that you're experiencing some issues with your account, as the system is automated. I would be happy to pass anything on to our team to look into.

PK21 Gold 1 Reviews

Hi CariJ,

The issues are already there with your concerned team, right up to your corporate office.

The fact is: NO ONE IS BOTHERED ABOUT ANYTHING. BECAUSE, ITS MARRIOTT.

You actually cant do anything here.

Regards.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Let me see if I can translate these complaints and then answer them based in my decade of Marriott experience.

1. FACT/COMPLAINT... Marriott does not recognize a stay of a member, which is just got completed. (Unless a guest specifies the stay details to their staff).

TRANSLATION... Points don't post straight away. I expect my points to post straight away after checkout, but they don't. They never have and it makes me mad. When I call the day after checkout advising my stay hasn't credited the helpline is unaware I even stayed the previous day. So I have to tell them. This makes me madder.

SUGGESTION... Read the T&Cs. Points may take up to 14 days to post, and in my experience always take a few days. Wait the 14 days, 99% of the time, they'll post. If however you insist on chasing straight away you will get the runaround as the helpline will need a copy of your bill and then to get in touch with the hotel to encourage them to post your points faster than everyone else's. Think about it, corporate can't know how many points should post till the hotel posts them. What with welcome bonuses, incidental spend, meeting points, hotel-point promos, the points are very often different from just those allocated to the rate. All hotel programs have this issue, they all rely on the individual hotels to post the points.

2. FACT/COMPLAINT... Did you know: Marriott systems are not automated for stay credits. It is done manually by individual properties. So far, Marriott has been faking to its members that these are automated.

TRANSLATION... Points don't post straight away. I am still annoyed about this so I am now pretending this is a separate and new issue from number 1. I expect points to post immediately after my stay. I believe Marriott is pretending the points allocation process is 100% automatic. It can't be because if it was, points would post straight away.

SUGGESTION... As a duplicate to complaint #1, see response to complaint #1. I see nowhere that Marriott states the entire point allocation process is fully automated.

3. FACT/COMPLAINT... Marriott staff purposefully delay the stay credits of members, so that, the members can't utilize their points promptly. And, the funniest thing is, the stay credits are not done at all, unless the guests follow up with multiple staff members, to get the credits.

TRANSLATION... Points don't post straight away. I am still annoyed about this and feel the need to vent further. Hence I believe this is part of a conspiracy by Marriott, because I am not prepared to wait for my points to post like everyone else.

SUGGESTION... See #1 above.

4. FACT/COMPLAINT... Mobile check-in facility is just a show off. You still need to stand in the queue and get the formalities done, just like the normal procedure which otherwise followed without mobile check-in.

TRANSLATION... When I get to a hotel I need to queue up to checkin. I want a way to avoid this annoying queue which can be quite lengthy. I've tried the Mobile checkin but when I get to the hotel I still have to queue. What is the point of this? What does it actually save me?

SUGGESTION... Fair comment! Only Marriott has the solution here. I'm now noticing more and more Marriotts have a mobile checkin desk, but also that it's mostly unmanned. I tried the mobile checkin over a year ago whilst staying in Brussels. It allocated me and my aged mother rooms on separate floors! So a great idea if you're going away with an enemy! Personally I think this is about developing the tech towards mobile phone room-keys, so it's not that much use right now.

FACT/COMPLAINT... Well.., there could be many more. At least, I could figure these out, out of my own experience since last 2 years.

I would encourage all members to voice out in this forum, if this list goes on further.

TRANSLATION... There's lots more I could complain about. I guessed at these "facts" myself but would encourage all members to agree with me.

SUGGESTION... Agree with OP, he gets offended if you don't!

PS. Do I get a "helpful"?

brightlybob comes out swinging.......back back back GONE.......Grand Slam!!!!

travelswell Platinum

I believe your explanation is quite complete and HELPFUL.

As a 20 year veteran and over 2100 nights I have seen most of the problems or issues you can imagine. The only time I have had to contact Marriott corporate is a complaint about a specific property and quite frankly it was always promptly answered. Even had a call from Bill Marriott himself once.

The system usually updates 3-4 days. Internationally it may take a few days longer. I have NEVER had to follow up with Marriott for missing points.

Mobile check-in like any new technology will have a few bugs to workout. I too was hesitant and worried I would not get a decent room but after using this system 10 times I actually received one of the best rooms in the house. A few times there was a line up but manageable.

Keep commenting

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

ZING!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

BB,

Your contribution was an example of forensic detachment and precision as welcome as it was rare.

Thank you.

A

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

This has all the makings of a good cop/bad cop saga -- or should I say good Featured Insider/bad Featured Insider? I'm halfway expecting Frogs or jakeal or bejacob to stroll in and say, "Look, why don't you make it easy on yourself? Those aren't really facts now, are they? We understand. We get it. That was pure conjecture made under duress. Just admit it, and everything's copacetic. But if you maintain this attitude, we're going to have to turn you back over to brightlybob and Jsucool76. And when those two get worked up, no one really knows what may go down. But we do know this: It won't be pretty!" 

Jsucool76 Gold

do I have a bad boy reputation? I may come off that way on other forums but I don't think I've ever done anything here. XD lol.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

You are a "good boy," Cool J.  That's why you are a featured Insider (and IAHFLYR is not, buhahahahaha. )

Good point, pluto77. Why has the featured insider status so far missed IAHFLYR, and for that matter you? Both of your selections must be in the pipeline, and would have the advantage of keeping the "good cop/bad cop" featured insider balance.

LOL, they don't want to include me which is great as I'd think it was a wanted poster hanging up in the Post Office......NO PHOTOS!!!

Hey, long ago before some discovered how bad a seed I really I am, someone put me up as the "Insider of the Month".  Heck, pluto77 probably wasn't even born when that happened!!

Ah yes, the good old days (when I wasn't even born yet ) when the contests on Insiders were more frequent, the prizes lucrative and mega bonus promotions offered free night certificates.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

brightlybob,

As pluto77 has hinted at and he flat out admitted  down below, IAHFLYR is an extremely bad influence... better watch out!  He might have you doing things you'd never though you'd do....

It's been known to happen before!!

Bad influence or good influence? I think that's up to those who are influenced to decide. If it weren't for IAHFLYR, I'd still be medicatin' with Chernobyl-tainted Russian swill. Viva la Tejas!

I'll say... he's caused me to do things I never dreamed I'd ever do, like rubber-necking the sky (flight path over the freeway) when I should be watching the road in front of me, or sneaking into unauthorized parking structures to planespot!, or frequenting websites I never dreamed I'd frequent, pondering things I never dreamed I'd be pre-occupied with, like nacelles and propeller blades, advantages of low aspect ration wing sweep, flight path angles, GAFORS, glide slope indicators, ILS, horizontal situation indicators, marker beacons and approach lighting, ILS categories and how they're applied, God, what has happened to me?)

Hey, wait a minute, you own some of that too, my young friend!

Intensive interrogation techniques are so nuanced. Okay, you're the "gentler" half of the bad duo. But still... 

Jsucool76 Gold

I'm just still not sure why the front desk clerk of some hotel (hereby referred to as "hotel A") would care about when I get my points, so I can't use them at some other hotel (hereby referred to as "hotel B")

Hotel A and Hotel B might be in different states, or countries for that matter. Do people really think the front desk agent of a courtyard in gainesville florida communicates with the front desk agent of the JW Essex house in NYC and say to each other "Hey, Jsucool76 stayed here, but I heard he wants to use points for a stay at your hotel, so I'm not gonna submit his stay until it's too late for him to use them #EvilLaugh"

http://media.giphy.com/media/lY1F6BJjbRO3m/giphy.gif

happyguest Platinum

Nonsense

If you need points to spend points stop spending points

Jsucool76,

I feel certain they all communicate back and forth, I mean come on what else do they have to do since Mobile Check-In came online?

Oh and congrats on being our "Featured Insider", pluto77 is correct as always plus I am a very bad influence....just ask kharada46.

UMmmm, so that makes me the fat, sweaty, unshaven, heavy glaring maliciously across from the corner, cracking each of my knuckles slowly in turn while Jsucool76 leans over the desk to the poor OP, explaining just how much worse it will be if he has to leave the room, "to get a pen, or something". Hmmmm.

I'm sure I've never met you, foxglove, but that's an uncanny intuition you have there.

What other forums do you make trouble on Jsucool76. As a featured insider you are our effectively the Prince of these boards, and during your reign we, your subjects, own you. Time to spill to your subjects, fellow "bad cop"

Jsucool76 Gold

mostly myfico since I'm a credit card nerd, I peruse ft and post there sometimes (I've seen all of you in that marriott/ritz board), and then some of my more "millennial" time gets spent on the cell phone forums (androidcentral, xda them kinda things)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

After the brightlybob just nailed "Best Post of the Year," what else does a former Featured Insider like myself need to add? Hmmm. Perhaps my latest experience with mobile check in.

Four stays this week at four different locations (and 4 different brands). I used mobile check in at all four (CY, Ren, SHS, and Marriott). In each case my keys were waiting for me at the desk. At the Renaissance, I was handed my keys, but before I left the desk, I was offered an upgrade to a suite. It did take all of 15-20 seconds to have new key cards made (so worth the wait).

As for missing points, it's only happened to me once and that was easily fixed using the missing stay request.

Strange "Facts" indeed since they don't seem to apply to most of us.

What a ridiculous post. I thought I was going to read some interesting stuff. But, I'll bite. For #4, I just started doing mobile check in. Just for work travel. It works great. Keys and everything are ready. They look at my ID for 5 seconds and I'm on my way. Many properties have a separate line for Mobile Check In. I have enjoyed the convenience.

Hhmmm, thanks for that tker, I might have another go at the mobile checkin. As I say the first, and only time I used it I found I was allocated a room on a seperate floor from my travelling companion. But it was early in the process. Mind you, there's still the main issue, the queue necessary to actually checkin. Often it's no problem but sometimes it can be lengthy, and to date I've never seen the mobile checkin desk actually manned. Mind you, this may be an EU thing. I've very seldom seen the elite checkin desk manned, indeed the only times I can remember have been in Heathrow Marriotts or USA/Canada, where I suspect numbers of elites are so much higher. Perhaps that's it, they are manned in USA, like the elite desks because there are so many more using it. All the same I'll give it another go when I next checkin...

So far so good for me. Like I said, only work travel so far. That's when I am traveling alone and don't need to talk about upgrades etc. Usually I am arriving late etc. Checking in the day before let's them know I am certainly coming! Its nice using the app to check in and check out.

If I had a specific requirement at a property, I probably won't use it. For example, this Wednesday, two rooms at the same location. I will just check in at the front desk. PLUS, I want to win the 1,000,000 points for the mobile check in

boldie24 Platinum 1 Reviews

My experience with online check in has been fantastic.  I usually do the day before, walk up to the desk, get a "we've been expecting you" confirm (verbally) card and do I want bonus points, and I am given my preconfigured key cards.  Also, I am finding more and more, I am upgraded to better rooms/suites.  All domestic stays but been very good.  The desk staff also seems excited that you checked in online.

The other "strange facts" are just rubbish.  As a lifetime platinum, I have found only once or twice did I have to followup about stay credits/points.  I think PK21 is a troll for another hotel chain myself.

I certainly agree that once you get to the check-in desk the procedure is somewhat accelerated by the mobile checkin, but Marriott does need to address the lengthy lines that sometimes build up and are not shortened for Mobile checkin customers. OTOH, my first experience being so off-putting, I've not tried again and maybe I should.

I think the rest of these "facts" are motivated by unrealistic expectations, points just dont post immediately and never have. We do have our share of spammers using the blogs, but I don't think OP Is a stooge for a rival chain, the complaints are insufficiently reasoned for that, the whole style is way too amateurish to be an organised trolling....

I am not even sure I believe any of the claims in the OP. How do you know all of this-specifically knowledge of the Marriott systems? My domestic stays post the second day after checkout. Practically without fail. International 4 days. Points post at the exact same time. In 10 years as a plat, I have had to do 4 missing stay requests. That's with over 1000 nights stayed. Not too bad IMHO. There is no conspiracy.

The more I think about claims 1, 2, 3 I actually don't get the point. They are without merit. Where are the "facts"? If things are so bad, pick another chain.

And it also appears the OP has run away and taken cover!!

Seems you are correct IAHFLYR. I am no Marriott apologist. I have posted concerns and comments about issues I have had. However, these vague nonspecific unsubstantiated comments really got under my skin. I guess I shouldn't let something like this bother me on a beautiful Saturday while packing for a trip to the Caribbean-stays at three Marriotts along the way.

BTW: I was concerned when first joining as this was run by Marriott. Would they allow an open an honest dialog? They certainly do and are very involved when their most loyal customers need help. I really love this community and the people that contribute regularly.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Perhaps we should leave this poor fellow (he or she) alone now, not likely that kind of post will happen again.

I think by now this person "gets it"...

It would be nice to see this individual return with a more reasoned post knowing that we are here to help and assist.

IMHO

JD

PK21 Gold 1 Reviews

tker,

thanks for your reply.

You know: Things become facts, when you experience the same / similar incidence(s) repeatedly.

One off cases, you can actually ignore. But, when things become repetitive, you stop believing in a system.

And, when the repetitive things become a habit of the system, you can certainly consider these as facts.

Probably, you might not have experienced such problems. But, who knows how many members across the world has been cheated by MARRIOTT like this and they might have already switched to other programs. You never know. Nevertheless, Marriott does not even care, and probably, it would start caring, when they would start losing huge business only due to the fact that they take service standards so lightly.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

With over 570 nights on my lifetime status, I have only had one problem getting credit for my stay.  Marriott, promptly corrected the error and gave me a significant credit for my troubles.  Brightlybob seems to be on target. 

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

Someone needs to delete this post. Like others, I thought I was going to read some interesting facts about Marriott (which would be a great post). Instead, I had to suffer through some rant from a person that I am not sure ever stayed at a Marriott. Troll ?

Brightlybob did in fact nail it (assuming this person actually stayed at a Marriott). In the 30 plus years of staying at Marriott's, I only had one issue where I had to call to the get the points and it was immediately taken care of. For the rest of my 850 plus stays over the years, it was automatic and very efficient with the points posting usually within a day or two.

As far as the mobile check-in, I LOVE it !! Just used it last week and as others have said, when i got to the desk I was told we have been expecting you and the keys were handed to me and this was an early check-in (9:30am). I love the ability to specify the time I would like to check-in the night before in my Mobile app. I will say that using the mobile check-in usually means I get the first room which is not necessarily the best room and have never received an upgrade using the mobile check-in. However, I am sure if I asked when I arrive they would switch my rooms.

Marriott's are still the best and while the point system may have experienced some devaluing in recent years, in my opinion, it is still the best !

Now where is that Troll ?????

I agree that this post needs to be deleted, if for no other reason that people just can't seem to keep their hands off of it (I admit to being party to that mix).

There are more relevant (more objective) threads on here (or else anyone can start one) with which to post experiences regarding mobile check-in and the posting of points and nights credit.  Why continue to give the original post traction?

Yes, it is one of those threads that keeps drawing us back in, but it shouldn't be deleted. This is Marriotts own forum but in order for it to be worthwhile it should be moderated, not censored. The continued existence of threads like these gives me confidence that this forum is not just some Marriott PR stunt, but a genuine arena to discuss travel, hotels (with a definitive Marriott slant) and the Marriott Rewards program. Any casual surfer reading this thread will quickly gain the measure of this complaint and by its very existence the genuine nature of this forum.

PK21 Gold 1 Reviews

Why Delete ?

Has the Truth started tasting bitter to you now itself ?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

PK21, on your profile, I was struck by your self-described interests in: "Travelling, Humiliating Irresponsible People"...   Is there more to the story here?

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey Insiders, I appreciate all of the thoughtful dialogue that you guys have contributed here. I'd like to encourage everyone to continue discussing the topics this thread has started, like mobile check-in and how long stays take to post.

Please keep in mind that per the community guidelines, the Insiders forum is intended for members to contribute constructive conversation about Marriott Rewards and all things travel. This is a friendly reminder for everyone to foster an inclusive, positive discussion atmosphere.

Carry on, everyone.

paddyscherrer Platinum

Platinum with 500ish nights and 1.000.000 + points

1. so called Fact: Disagree. Well sometimes there are issue, but I ALWAYS got my points after sending the bill.

2. Who cares? As long as I get my pointsI do not care how this is done.

3. Sorry, disagree. I always get my points latest 1-2 days later. In the 10% case where there is a problem, send the bill, they will fix. They always did for me.

4. Mobile check-in? You don´t like, You don´t use it. I don´t like it either, I see no benefit in it. I like the fact that someone greets me personally and with a smile. ( mostly)

Sorry, but the strange facts turn into nothing.

boldie24 Platinum 1 Reviews

On mobile check in.  I have actually found if I check in the day before (at earliest possible moment) I have been getting many more room upgrades than I normally do.  YMMV but that has been my experience.  And I am still greeted with a smiling face. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...