3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2015 3:54 PM by pluto77 RSS

"Lady in Gold"

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Woman-in-Gold.jpg

Went to see the movie about this Austrian art work this week and would recommend it to others as the story about this is true.

One of the things that intrigued me, aside from the painful experience of the legal recipient of the art, was the air transport used at this time.

It appeared that the old DC-3 prop engine plane was the mode of travel, which brought me back to my earlier travel days on Southern
Airways out of S.C. Perhaps some of you also can remember experiences on this "workhorse" airplane?

If you haven't seen the movie, you might want to see soon!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: "Lady in Gold"
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Southern used to run one flight per day from Atlanta to Athens and back in the early to mid-60s, starting with the DC-3 and eventually switching over to the Martin 404. On home-game Saturdays, the flight always passed directly over Sanford Stadium during the game. I remember one time when the plane rumbled into view over the west end of the stadium -- with one propeller out. At the time the stadium's seating capacity was about 57,000, and I still remember the rolling, wave-like gasp as 57,000 fans saw it and pointed skyward. The fans' reaction even made the players on the field look up. The flight landed a few moments later at Ben Epps Field, some 5 miles away, without incident. I gained instant respect for those workhorses on that Saturday afternoon nearly 50 years ago.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

My DC-3 experience was in Kenya back in 1984. Flew from Nairobi (WIL) to Amboseli (ASV) on Air Kenya.

I sat over the wing and in all my years of flying, this was the one time I thought I was going to be airsick. Didn't happen, but for whatever reason, it was not a pleasant flight. Fortunately for me the return flight was booked solid and I got bumped to a much smaller aircraft (pilot + 3 passengers) which was sent to pick up the overflow.I don't recall the specifics of that aircraft, but I did get to sit in the copilot seat and enjoy a great view back to Nairobi. One of the best parts was passing the DC-3 in the air. From our point of view, the plane looked to flying backwards. Perhaps this flight was smoother or maybe it was just the better view, but no feeling queasy. 

Still good memories of the trip (but not the DC-3) more than 30 years later.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Ah, wonderful Klimpt (and wonderful Helen Mirren).  I find the entire affair unfortunate and the end result a bit disgusting, but without all of the facts, I couldn't judge Ms. Altmann or the Austrian government.  I guess I think that good, bad, right or wrong, it's a shame those works aren't back in Austria (where in my humble opinion, they belong.)  So I would have to decide just how much I would like to see that painting, given the opportunity next time in NYC.  I suppose everything of historical, cultural, artistic and architectural importance belongs to the whole world these days.  (It's all of ours!  UNESCO says so.)  Thanks for the intriguing post.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...