5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2015 9:10 AM by fschumpert RSS

Charleston, SC

conlon Silver
Currently Being Moderated

HI all- going to charleston, SC in August for 2 nights.

WAnt to to be walking distance to  downtown so 2 available Marriotts

are Courtyard on Calhoun St and Renaissance on Wentworth St - thoughts??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Charleston, South Carolina, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Charleston Historic District
  • Re: Charleston, SC
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I haven't stayed at either of these downtown Marriott properties, but from experience I'd say the Courtyard is less expensive than the Renaissance, and also the Courtyard does not usually provide a full-service dining room, or concierge room for Gold-Platinum members. If you're one of the latter card-carrying members, you're more likely to receive a room upgrade at Renaissance than Courtyard. Both hotels are quite accessible by foot to most of the downtown attractions and restaurants, except the Citadel Military Academy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for the helpful response, fschumpert!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

DSCN0995.JPGWhile in Charleston, take the time to drive over to Sullivan's Island and drive around to see the quaint summer cottages, tour Ft. Moultrie and eat lunch at Poe's Tavern (shown here). There are numerous fine restaurants in downtown Charleston, but one of our favorites for lunch is Fleet's Landing, a good hike from the Courtyard or Renaissance.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey conlon! I, sadly, have never visited Charleston, so cannot speak from personal experience. I have, however, posted a few past threads below, which contain some of the other Insider's experiences with properties. Hope these help!

Re: Charleston, SC Trip Suggestions

Re: Recommendations for Charleston, SC?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

We had a wonderful time in Charleston in December.  We stayed at the Charleston Marriott and it was a major disappointment.  I would definitely stick with the two properties that you mentioned.  If you are gold or platinum stay at the Renaissance, for the breakfast.  If not, then it's a tossup.  both are nice hotels in excellent locations.

While there, make certain that you take the Gullah tour of Charleston.  It gives a different perspective than all the other tours.

SNOB is a great restaurant for southern food.  Halls is very pricey but a wonderfully elegant experience with excellent food and service.

ENJOY!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...