15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2015 9:51 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Using E-Certificate for 6-7 rating hotels

khaggart Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to use an E-Certificate (normally for 1-5 hotels) on a 6-7 hotel and just pay the difference upon arrival?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Using E-Certificate for 6-7 rating hotels
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Sadly, no. These certificates cannot be used at hotels above category 5 at all.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

bejacob's provided the succinct (and correct) answer. But to expand slightly, this question is raised every now and then, and whenever one of the MRI moderators passes the question on to the team at MRewards, the answer comes back that promotional certificates have neither a cash value nor a points value; thus, they cannot be combined with either cash or points for a night's stay at a higher-category property.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for your helpful responses, bejacob and foxglove. You are correct that unfortunately free-night certificates cannot be upgraded to higher categories. Please let me know if you have any more questions around this.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

All of us here on MRI really wish we could!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I agree with others who have already posted comments. However, there are genuinely good Cat. 1-5 hotels available for E certificates

I'm staying at the Augusta Marriott (Cat 4) using E certificate this coming Friday in preparation for my 55th high school reunion nearby. En route, using 35k reward points to stay at JW Marriott in Atlanta-Buckhead, a wonderful location for nearby shopping, restaurants, concierge floor amenities,  etc., and staying here nets us 100 miles nearer to Augusta for our trip.

Highly recommend both for those who might have opportunity to stay in these areas in near future!

Jsucool76 Gold

All of the hotels in gainesville fl are cat 5 or under.....

Go see the gators.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Most desirable hotels in the Northeast are at least a cat 6. There are a handful of 5s left but far and few between. The fact is, if you want to stay in Philly, NYC, or Boston you are going to be out of luck looking for cat 5 and below. Sure there are some properties outside the city limits but the whole point of a trip is to not spend it going to and from the hotel because you have to say 20-30 mins outside the city to find a hotel at the right category level.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Come visit me in Columbus, Ohio. Of the roughly 23 properties in town only 1 is category 7 and 3 are category 6. The rest are 5 and below. I will admit, there are only 2 full service properties (both Marriotts) in that latter group.

Even better, about half the properties in town are category 3. Nothing fancy, but what would you expect in a medium-sized Midwestern city?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Also Lots of good Marriott Properties in Northern VA (Outside DC) which are Category 5 or less. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

And which are totally do-able when visiting DC.  Redemption lives on!  (Even if I have to travel 3,000 miles for it.   Love DC, so it's all good.)

Jsucool76 Gold

I might never stay in any hotel by DC except the Ritz pentagon city now. cheap club level is cheappppp.

#freebooze

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

bejacob,

You're killing me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...