9 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2015 11:10 AM by barrpat RSS

Bed bugs and terrible customer service- what are next steps?

sprocket Member
Currently Being Moderated

I stayed at a Courtyard Marriott in College Station almost two weeks ago, woke up and turned the light on, moved my pillow, and bugs literally went everywhere.  I grabbed my phone and was able to get some videos of them scrambling everywhere.  I travel in a silk sleeping bag (thank god or I would have bites everywhere) and there were larger ones crawling out from under it, and small, more clear ones on top of it (I now know those were young ones).  I called the front desk, said I was getting dressed and getting out of that room, and when I went downstairs with my luggage to get out of there, the front desk person had the audacity to hint that I must have brought them with me- (yeah, all 20 or 30 or however many were crawling around, including babies, have been hitching a ride with me all day, including after my shower- give me a break!).  So I called later and spoke to the manager, who said they would follow up and never did.  So I called two days later and spoke to the GM, who was professional, but said she would offer only offer half the stay for free.  I said I am not paying for any nights for sleeping in a bug filled room, let alone what I had to go through to NOT stay there another night, and my time, gas (driving 2 hours home that night and back the next morning for my event), mental trauma from this, new suitcase I had to buy, new silk sleeping bag I had to order, etc. From that point she promised she would follow up with me when she got the pest control report.  I waited two more days and finally called corporate Marriott, who said it takes 3-5 days to receive the lab report back (why didn't she tell me that or email me that information so I wasn't following up 2 days later??) Meanwhile, my stuff was still sitting in a garbage bag in the garage until I found out the results of this report. On day 11 from when the incident happened I called corporate Marriott AGAIN to say I was still waiting.  Finally on day 6 (from when I calculate they fogged the room), she sends me the lab report confirming they are bed bugs, no apology, doesn't even acknowledge the bed bugs at all, and apologizes that I didn't get this report earlier, "previous email did not go through." Please.  My friends also staying the same weekend had asked the front desk how they deal with a pest problem and the girl made it clear they were NOT bed bugs, bed bugs don't come out of the crevices under the bed. Wow, nice response.  Sorry to say she was clearly wrong and handled that situation terribly.

It's not like a found a hair on the floor, I woke up in a bed full of BUGS and this is how I am treated??  Both calls to corporate Marriott I had nice and professional customer service agents, but they really just referred it back to the hotel.  Needless to say, I am out several hours of my time, so many sleepless nights since then as I can't stop thinking about all the bugs crawling around me, money for a suitcase, a silk sleeping bag, two tops and two pairs of jeans that got ruined washing everything on sanitation and drying on high heat (ruined all the embellishments but I wasn't taking any chances), and still the fear that some found their way home with me.  Thank you Marriott for a lifetime of nightmares, while you can't predict when a room will have bugs (although this many had to be breeding for awhile), you can at least treat a customer with some respect.  Honestly, if it had been handled properly from the beginning, I wouldn't even be wasting more of my time leaving reviews. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Bed bugs and terrible customer service- what are next steps?
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Hi, sprocket. Welcome to MRI. I'm sorry your initial dealings with these boards has to be over such an unpleasant experience. I was going to advise that you file a report with the Bed Bug Registry, but I checked and saw that you've been there, done that. Good for you! I hope you'll get some sort of satisfaction eventually, although after that video, I'm not exactly sure what that would be. Perhaps joshm, lindseyh or CariJ can weigh in on this.

I also hope you'll stay active on MRI. You'll find this site offers a wealth of information, tips, and experiences -- both good and, at times, bad. The information you've presented will no doubt be of service to others who may be planning a trip to College Station. Sorry that it happened to you, but thanks for the warning to others. Good luck and safe -- and bug-free -- travels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

sprocket,

First off, allow me to welcome you to the Marriott Rewards Insiders forum.

The Insiders network is a place for you to communicate with a large group of road warriors and frequent travelers that are constantly sharing experiences, providing recommendations, posting photography, asking questions, and providing perspectives on all things Marriott Rewards. The Insiders family is very knowledgeable, as well as helpful.

As foxglove pointed out (thanks for the shout out!) There is a team of us that manage this forum and look to optimize your experiences by providing support, answering questions, and seeking insight. We're here to help!

Regarding your post. Your experience sound to have been much less than stellar, and I'd love to help you out. Please, send me a DM with your Rewards number and a way to reach you. I'd like to patch you through to a member of our team in order to learn more about what happened and get you the support you need.

Welcome to the forum, sprocket, and we look forward to hearing more from you here!

Josh

sprocket Member

Hi joshm,

I appreciate everyone's response.  My room was comped after some back and forth, I guess it was just so frustrating how poor the customer service was for a pretty significant situation.  I travel for a living, have for 20 years, and am a platimun Starwood every year, but had decided this year that since I will be working alot with various Marriott and Ritz Carlton spas for my job coming up, I would start to stay more at Marriotts and I couldn't help but want to second guess that choice after my experience with the bed bugs.  Thank goodness I do sleep in my silk travel sack or I would have been covered in bites I have no doubt.  I just have to deal with trying to erase the thought of so many of them under and on top of my sack!  I have 3 Marriott stays coming up so I look forward to be able to post some positive feedback on this site, as I honest to goodness have never had a complaint against a hotel in my 20 years! I will send you a separate message with my Rewards number and contact info as well.  Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Shelly

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Thanks posting, sorry for your experience.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

WOW! Don't think I'd ever stay at that place again.

My wife, when traveling with me, always checks the bed for possible infestation, and she always takes a clean pillow case to cover one on bed just in case. We haven't gone so far as to carry bug spray with us yet!

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

This is insane, I would do what you did in talking to the hotel first and foremost, then after that awful customer service and response my next call would be to my legal council. I know bedbugs are a Hugh problem in the hotel industry but it is totally avoidable with good honest to goodness housekeeping and monitoring.

I can't imagine how I would feel after witnessing & experiencing what you did...

JD

dogonzales Member

Hi there, Bed Bugs have been found in almost all types of dwellings and even in transportation vehicles. Once established, they can live anywhere such as cracks and crevices and even in suitcases, boxes or shoes. The most common signs are their bites. These bites will leave rashes of different sizes and be very itchy. They can be found often by looking for black stains or smears on beds too. Pest Exterminator UES were great at eradicating them, when we had bed bugs problem last year.

sprocket Member

Thanks everyone for your insight.  I am delayed in responding here but do want to say the office of Mr. Marriott was kind enough to speak to me about the situation.  They said they would do their part in following up with the hotel and gave me a small amount of points deposited to my account.  I'm still itching and scratching from the thought of them but still have to travel every week so I hope the mental anguish goes away soon....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...