5 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2015 7:07 AM by fourtripsayear RSS

Canadian Marriott Visa at US Gas Pumps?

fourtripsayear Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Canadians often encounter a problem when gas pumps in the US require a zip code before they will process a credit card transaction. I am wondering whether any Canadians have been successful in using their Marriott Visa card at US gas pumps. I have heard of tricks that sometimes work with certain MasterCards (use the 3 numerals in your postal code plus two zeros in place of zip code). Any info on using the Canadian version of the Marriott card would be appreciated.

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Canadian Marriott Visa at US Gas Pumps?
    joshm Member

This is a great topic introduce to the forum, fourtripsayear.

I'm happy to check into this for you in order to seek out clarity around this. Stay tuned.

I'm also interested to hear the experiences of other Insiders who have dealt with the same thing!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

retiredbkr Platinum

We have just returned from a 3 week vacation in Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico.  Approximately 50% of the times that I used my Canadian Marriott VISA to purchase gas I was able to do so using the digits from my area code adding 2 zeros to the end.  I have used this procedure for a number of years and find that it is effective about 50% of the time depending on what brand you use and which state you are in.  The code works regardless of whether you are using a Marriott VISA or a card from another issuer.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey fourtripsayear, joshm had our team look into this and they weren't unfortunately unable to find any information. They suggested that you contact the credit card company via the number on the back of the card.

paddyscherrer Platinum

Hi,

this is a general issue when using credit cards from abroad in USA. In my case from Germany. Obviously my home town zip code does not work. However in big cities or close to international airport fewer issues than in "rural" places. Normally it works when you use any existing zip code from the US and stick to it.

fourtripsayear Silver

I thought I would reply to my own question. Just completed a trip through many eastern states. I encountered a mix of:

• gas pumps where my Marriott visa was immediately accepted with no requirement for zip code ... straight to "begin fuelling". These pumps had signs on them suggesting zip code would be required but magically it was not required. (approximately 50% of stops)
    • gas pumps where I was required to enter zip code and the zero-zero trick worked (approx 40% of stops)
    • gas pumps where I was required to enter zip code but the zero-zero trick did not work. (approx 10% of stops)

No reliable pattern I could detect with respect to state or gas brand etc.

I had also contacted Chase directly via secure website but the response I got was not helpful.

Thanks for all your input!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...