10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2015 5:14 PM by jamesdean RSS

Marriott in London

travel2015 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I recently reserved the Marble Arch Marriott in London for 4 nights for an upcoming trip to London in late May.  The more reviews I'm reading it sounds like the hotel is not in a desirable area of the city and the hotel itself is a bit dated. I'm debating changing my reservation to a different Marriott property in London that is closer/walking distance to the major sites. Can someone please recommend a Marriott in central London. Looking to pay less than $300 / night. Or use points + cash option. Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
london
  • Re: Marriott in London
    CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey travel2015, welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insiders forum!

Insiders is for members to share experiences, perspectives and insights, photos, discussions about stays, and ask questions to a network of travelers (as you've done here) who are happy to share their insights.

Being new to the forum, feel free to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to enhance your experience with the forum. Always feel free to reach out to me (CariJ), lindseyh, or joshm with questions or concerns about anything Marriott Rewards or the site. We make up the moderation team for the forum and we are here to help.

I'm sure there are some Insiders here that can help you out. Have a great trip to London!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Ffirstly, the Marble Arch Marriott isn't in a bad area, but its certainly not tourist Central, it's real London but only a 5 minute walk away from Marble Arch. It is however distinctly ordinary and it would be the last of London's Central Marriotts I'd reserve at.

YOur our budget is however tough. Even with the superstrong dollar which means $300 is £200 your choices are really limited. Apart from the Marble Arch Marriott your only central-ish options are:

Marriott Kensington, a better hotel than the Marble Arch, and routinely upgrades elites. Well stocked but windowless lounge and a 10 mins walk from the tube and in the central zone 1, though only just!

Autograph Threadneedles is somewhat more central, and though I haven't stayed personally seems well regarded, no lounge but close to the tube.

And over in Docklands right next door to the Docklands Light Railway station stands the popular Marriott West India Quay, which is a good value choice within easy reach of Greenwich and the O2. It upgrades its elites and the lounge has a great view.

Depending upon dates you can find the Renaissance St Pancras at £200/night. It does routinely upgrades elites but not to the historic rooms. The pulling power of the Ren is undoubtably its lounge, plats only but easily the best lounge I've been to. It's not close to anything though, other than sitting atop Kings Cross St Pancras station with easy tube to all London. Again in zone 1, again, only just!

Hope this all helps...

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Points + cash opens it wide up if you're willing to go that route.  If it's a leisure trip that you want to be memorable, that might be your best bet.  I stayed at County Hall.  Loved it.  Enjoyable, very doable walks to just about everywhere (well, depending on how much you like to walk, or if sometimes you need to save your legs for being on your feet all day at various attractions or museums, you may want to grab a tube ride.)  We also visited St. Ermin's and JW Grosvenor and were impressed with both, though we didn't see the inside of any rooms, just public spaces.  Cash + points would certainly take the edge off of the price points for these properties.

The Maida Vale doesn't look too bad, if you don't mind making regular use of the tube.  The price is certainly right...  Similarly, we recently stayed at the Courtyard Boulogne-Billancourt in a Paris suburb, far enough out that we had to use the metro to get anywhere in central Paris.  It was in a nice neighborhood, the hotel was very nice for a Courtyard (and we were upgraded to a suite), my point being that for the bargain that it was along with having to use the metro to get anywhere, we were very happy with the deal.  And so it might perhaps be with Maida Vale.  It just depends on the experience you are looking for combined with how much you want to spend (or save).  Let us know what you decide and then later, how it all shakes out.

westof30 Platinum

I travel to London 2-3 year for the past 10 years.  I have stayed at St. Ermin's, JW Grosvenor and the London Edition.  If I can get a rate that is acceptable to my company's budget, my preference in order:

London Edition - Close to SOHO and China Town  Best rooms, No lounge

St. Ermin's - Many sites to see within easy walking distance, Churchill Museum

JW Grosvenor - Great Lounge and very Good Rooms

travel2015 Platinum

Thanks so much for your replies! I really appreciate the helpful info & details. I just switched our reservation from the Marble Arch location to Grosvenor's Square property. Definitely not in my ideal budget, but best value/location - proximity to central London. County Hall location looks amazing but it is just too much $$ for the dates we will be there. Does anyone know if Grosvenor's Square offers a concierge lounge for elite MR Members? I would assume so but can't find any pictures online.

mgcandfnc Platinum 5 Reviews

As many have said Marble Arch is not a bad area of London.  To achieve £200/$300 per night will be tough at any of the other more central properties. Kensington is a competitive option but will need the tube to get across to say Regent Street/Oxford Street etc.  If you could use points and money I would definitely recommend either Marriott Grosvenor Sq (directly across from the US Embassy) or Grosvenor House. GH has larger than average rooms and the new executive lounge is superb.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I stayed in the Hyde Park Marriott and it was very good. Also very close to a tube station that we used to go all over London

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

This is great info as I have 7 nites in London in May and just wondering about the properties. I was leaning towards the JW Marriott, Grosvenor House, by all accounts it sounds very good.

JD

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...