8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2015 10:53 AM by Jsucool76 RSS

Can I "buy" more Marriott points with airline miles?

flyaway50 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Can you help me with ideas on exchange my airline miles for Marriott points?  I have both Alaska and Delta miles that I would consider.  Or is there a marketplace on the net I can also exchange? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Can I "buy" more Marriott points with airline miles?
    randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

Hello flyaway50 and welcome to the Insiders community!

As you have done here, this site is a great place to share your thoughts, ask questions, seek insights/recommendations, and share information with a group of well traveled and knowledgeable people who are always helping one another get the best out of their experiences (Thanks for the response, randomname )

As someone that is new to this community, you should take a look (if you want to, of course) at our Getting Started Guide for tips and guidance as to maximizing your experience with the site and everything that it offers. Additionally, don't hesitate to reach out to me (joshm), lindseyh, or CariJ with any questions or concerns you have about anything Rewards or the site. We make up the moderation team for the forum and are here to help!

Regarding your post, I'm going to check into this for clarity, and will follow up with what I find out.

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Insiders family!

Jsucool76 Gold

While it's always possible to find a way to exchange these points (via points.com like another posted mentioned) think about the value of them. Some would say alaska miles are far more valuable than marriott rewards points. SkyPesos on the other hand, meh

But alaska has some great partners and depending on how many miles you have you might be able to get far more value from just using them for a flight to your destination, even if it isn't on one of your preferred airlines.

flyaway50 Platinum

Thank you for your reply~

We are indeed using the partners on Alaska! It was a far better way for us since they are not heading to our destination.

Unfortunately, I just don't see Marriott as a choice under Points.com so it "appears" to me that I have not option to tell them that is what I want.  (I even watched the tutorial!!) Or am I looking at it incorrectly?

We have a lot of Alaska points and would be glad to exchange them for Marriott Rewards. I just don't see how.

I do see I can buy 50,000 straight for Marriott but that is not any better than simply paying cash directly.

Just thought I would ask....thank you for your help in advance!

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey flyaway50, I wanted to pass on some information that joshm was researching for you. Our team confirmed that while members can buy Alaska miles with Marriott points, they cannot do the opposite. Sorry about that!

ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

United Airlines has the best rate of exchange with Marriott Reward points because of their exclusive relationship..Id look it it..you can exchange United Miles 1:1

flyaway50 Platinum

Thank you all for your help!

Though my initial thought process of exchange was the most straightforward I thought, it simply was not possible, Marriott nevertheless helped figure a game plane to fully utilize reward points.

Since we will be banking more points before trip, the lovely lady at Marriott secured the rooms I needed, and explained to me that I still will have the ability to use my anticipated points this month towards the July vacation. The only question I neglected to ask, since I actually felt I was monopolizing her time, was at what time are newly acquired points bank on an account?  Is it immediately, or is there a calendar date that does one big sweep and post?  We are platinum so rarely do we run into point shortage, but this is one mega vacation!!!

And on that note, does anyone know how a stay translates into earned points (just roughly speaking).  Two business trips running $1200 each stay.  Just thought I would ask...

Many thanks in advance!

Jsucool76 Gold

You can book ANYTHING (except a travel package with points and miles afaik) before you actually have the points for it. Your points from a stay should post within 2 weeks, mine normally post in about 3-5 days. Then once you have all the points you can open that reservation, and click the button that says "Order rewards certificates." and that will take the points and secure your reservation. This needs to be done more then 7 days in advance to fully confirm your reservation or else it will be cancelled.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...