12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2015 9:27 AM by sivy215 RSS

Staying at properties with kitchens, do you expect smells?

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just recently stayed in Plano Texas at a TPS.  I have to say I've stayed at this property before and other RIs and TPS properties around the country but this is the first I've had where the hotel management not only didn't care about how cooking smells impacted guests but seemed to realize it was an issue but took no action.  I've written this review for the Marriott.com after a fairly poor survey.  3 rooms in one week and the management really didn't seem to care one bit.  Does anyone else expect that folks should have an expectation to having a odor free experience?  I mean I get folks cook but apparently this was a known daily thing where folks seriously were cooking heavy spiced foods that certainly would leave odors, as the room I got first had.

I should say instead of offering anything for compensation (points or something) for having to change rooms 3x and other issues as I was told would happen, the best I got from the hotel's GM was basically lip service saying "we are sorry we did a bad job".  So I'd suggest that if your travels take you to Plano Texas, you avoid the TPS there.... unless as my review states you enjoy random culinary journeys

Perfect for those who enjoy culinary journeys

This hotel was much like any other TownePlace Suites I've visited from the outside. I had actually stayed at this property before and while it was found to be mediocre it was a good value for the price. This trip however would expose me to the hidden gems that lurked inside this property's walls. A culinary experience for everyone, whether you wanted to participate or not. It was in fact such an assault on my olfactory system I questioned how anyone could stand the wait to experience more. After the first day of what could be mistaken for a hot hole in the wall kitchen/lavatory experience, I thought I had found nirvana. Having failed to provide the first memorable experience correctly, I was almost immediately moved to a second room. My thoughts of festive cooking slowly started to dissolve but I was still reminded at each turn the constant mediocrity that surrounded me. Then on my third day of the stay I arrived back to the room to find such a magical, magnificent odoriferous smell I thought I had won the olfactory lottery. I suspect 3 day old road kill in the summer would produce something more festive. The hotel management seemingly is aware of these issues and honestly offered little in the way to correct the situation.

In short, if you enjoy coming "home" to random smells of various culinary journeys by neighbors this is the place for you. If you don't enjoy smelling the kitchen abominations produced in the general vicinity of your room you should probably look else where. There are plenty of other Marriott properties near this one that offer a better experience.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Plano, Texas, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott TownePlace Suites Dallas Plano
  • Re: Staying at properties with kitchens, do you expect smells?
    joshm Member

This is an interesting topic to bring to the forum, zukracer.

I'm curious to see what other members of the Insiders community think about this.

Having lived in an apartment building for a long time, I became used to the culinary odors of my neighbors. Sometimes, I would walk into the building and really hope the smell was coming from MY kitchen ; however, sometimes, I wish the odor didn't exist, but I guess it depends on what folks were cooking.

Excited to hear the experiences of others around this, and thanks for sharing!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jsucool76 Gold

While I haven't experienced anything like that at a RI or TPS, when I lived in gainesville for college, my roommate did enjoy deep frying everything known to man. Was not fun. None of my neighbors were very good cooks either. lol.

If I had run into this in a hotel though, I'd probably be quite upset. Just call housekeeping to spray their magical air freshener every 5 minutes.

I also must add, I love the detail you go into, as well as some of the vocabulary you use. I felt like I was reading a novel.

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

The cooking odors in the various extended stay properties are the reason I never stay in them. No matter the brand, it happens at most extended stay hotels....

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Have stayed at a number of RI over the years and not once have I found any cooking odors present when I got to my room. 

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Great to hear!  I suspect this is more the norm and I just had a horrible experience at the TPS in Plano.  Once I was moved to a different building, my 3rd room of the week, smells definitely went away.  I just can't imagine that a property would knowingly allow folks to cook things that are so pungent.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I was going to say if each room had smells then it would only be for one reason.....Plano!!! 

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Ouch!! I've stayed at a good number of RIs, and I've never detected strong odors associated with previous occupants' cooking. I have, however, opened the fridge and encountered odors from old leftovers, which previous occupants were too lazy to discard before checkout, and housekeeping didn't dispose of either. Disposal and disinfection were the first and second orders of business.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

While I don't "expect" strong smells I do accept them as part of what comes with staying in an environment where cooking can occur.  Some foods are just stronger odor than others, so it may depend on the region, background of other guests, etc.  In some cases I've found the smells to be a good experience.

I think of it as no different than when I stay at a timeshare that has pools for kids ... a very noisy experience.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Proper ventilation and attentive cleaning would go a long way to cut down on cooking odors. Fried and heavily spiced cooking leaves an odor when care is not taken to clean up while cooking. Also between guests a property would have to just about do a deep (GCPM) cleaning when fried and spiced up cooking has taken place in a room.

cwilliams313 Platinum

I have been staying at the RI in Montgomery for 2-3 weeks every couple months for 2+ years.  Granted, this is an outside entrance RI, mostly resembling an apartment complex.  I have been fortunate not to experience this.  For me, it's mainly the garbage disposal.   As part of my "check in process" I run it for about a minute.   It's too bad the Mgmt isn't more responsive to your requests. 

sivy215 Platinum

I haven't had issues with smells from other rooms at RI properties, however there was a time when I stayed at a TownPlace Suites in Virginia beach and my entire room smelled like whatever somebody on the floor was cooking.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...