23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2015 5:55 AM by ramoneur RSS

Lifetime Status

jek Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I have 512 stays at Marriott but only 800,000 points. More than enough stays for Gold status forever but points severely lacking. I believe the reason is that I've been a member forever and in the early years, earning points was not as productive as it is now that prices to stay are through the roof. At any rate, I'll never even obtain Silver status because of the points thing. I don't think this is fair to those that supported Marriott for a million years and some consideration should be given these old gray backs. But then, it's not my program. Just seems inequitable, that's all.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lifetime Status
    7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Your point to night ratio ratio seems about the same as mine and all my nights have been in the last few years, so it doesn't really seem like you missed out on anything with your earlier stays. I'm right around 1/2 of your numbers in both nights and points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey jek, thanks so much for sharing your perspective. That's what this forum is for! If there's anything I can help with, please don't hesitate to DM me with questions or concerns. I'd be happy to connect you with a member of our team for more information or support.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I was able to pick up a lot of points when I travelled and rally earned platinum . I took part in all the mega bonuses and as well as the extra from credit cards so I got to 3m points on about 1000 stays

westof30 Platinum

JEK,

Your points to stays is the current correct ratio, you are about 2/3 of the stays away and 2/3 of the points.

To help your chances you could get the Marriott Chase Visa, it gives you points for spending as well as 15 nights credit each year.  I pay everything possible with my card even bills for other companies.

https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember

notorious-5150 Platinum

As westof30 stated - the Marriott Chase Visa is probably the quickest way to earn room credits and Marriott Points.   The card is free for the first year - then $85.00/ year afterwards. 

I only stay at Marriott for 14-25 days a year - but I easily get Gold Elite Status (50 Elite Credits) since you start with 15 Elite Credits and earn 1 Elite Credit for every 3k in purchases.   I am about 2.5 years from getting lifetime gold.

• nights 346
      • Points1,324,963

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi JEK - I agree with the suggestion that the best way for you to maximize your points is to get the Chase Marriott Premier Visa card. The other way to maximize your points is to bill every dollar you spend at the hotel on your room bill in that as  a Gold member, you get a premium on every dollar charged to your room. So, even at the coffee shop in the morning, rather than pulling out a five or 10 dollar bill, charge it to your room.

jeroenvana Silver

Could be a worse ratio like mine: 180,957 points at 197 nights... (I guess I am good at finding the better deals at Marriott)

(And I thought it was about which one you would reach first... the 250 nights or the 1,200,000 points... Seems now you need both)

notorious-5150 Platinum

Yes - I originally thought it was one or the other - but it is both.   Again - I mostly accrue points and nights by using the Marriott Credit Card.   It would be difficult otherwise.

jeroenvana Silver

Then it will be difficult. No credit card in the Netherlands. I do have Amex, but it only accumulates points for KLM.

ramoneur Platinum

...same here;

AMEX Flying Blue as private card as alternative when corporate company CC gives troubles (which it does, a lot, but that's another story);

I'd switch to the Marriott CC when I would have the chance, without thinking

coupons Gold

I thought you get automatic silver status with a Marriott credit card since you get 15 nites just for having the card ???

notorious-5150 Platinum

Yes - as long as you have the card you start out as Silver Elite.   But to get lifetime status - here is what you would need:

Silver Elite - 250 Nights - 1.2 Million Points

Gold Elite - 500 Nights - 1.6 Million Points

Platinum Elite - 750 Nights - 2 Million Points

coupons Gold

Is there a need for lifetime Silver Elite if you have a Marriott card; you would get Silver status every year

notorious-5150 Platinum

Correct - but we are discussing how to get lifetime status.   Not sure I would keep the card after I reached Platinum Status - would probably switch to an Airline Rewards Card so I could reach lifetime elite status through them as well.

coupons Gold

Hi I know that the issue was lifetime status. I was just commenting that some people (myself included) will never reach the lowest tier (Silver Status) especially if we started later in life or were never business travelers. Understand what you are saying in terms of switching cards :-)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

good point I don't think so

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, my feelings exactly. In reality the meat at Marriott is in Gold, 500 nights and 1.6 mill points. here in Europe holding o Gold or Plat is difficult so I'm pleased I made the LT requirements last year. I doubt I'll make 40 nights this year, even with my card, but last years rollover will see me tonother year of plat. After that the by to gold await but it's nice to know I'll not go below that again...

Jsucool76 Gold

Between the 70k marriott card offer and the 140k ritz card offer that's 210,000 points just from signup bonuses.

Great idea Jsucool76. A big boost to lifetime totals AND they are cheap points too! In my current 27 night USA/Canada visit, my Marriott points are redeeming at 1.2UScents/pt, so 70,000 points should easily redeem for $700 and 140,000 for $1,400!

I suspect your stays have mainly been long stay brands, Residence/Towneplace at only half the points per night. Had your stays been at Marriott/Ren/CY/FFI then your points/night ratio would have been on target.

Here in Europe where rates are higher, but Marriotts rarer, the problem is not points, but nights. My lifetime counter shows 2million points, but alas only 600 nights. And I've had the only Marriott card available to us Brits for a decade now, which has contributed 100 nights to that total.

The lifetime targets are based upon 2 tenets of loyalty, repetitive stays AND spending. You need to increase the latter if you want lifetime status. If youre in the U.S. get the fee paid Marriott card. It will pay you a lot of points on your non-marriott spend, and significantly, at Towneplace/Residence actually doubles the points. Also, it may well help you get to Plat and the extra bonus and arrival points that generates.

jmanrunner Platinum

One more thought on the downsides of not achieving status.  Silver, Gold and Platinum members receive bonus points on top of earned points.  Higher status yields accelerated points earning.  With the Marriott Visa or Ritz-Carlton cards maintaining Gold or Platinum is easier.  Also, I used to enjoy staying at select Residence Inns or Towne Place Suites for the amenities but now stay away while I am working towards Gold Lifetime.  If there is a need I use them but the earning potential is just not enough at these properties.  There may be many reasons to aim for platinum but for me the upgrades are the end goal.  I am upgraded often especially during low-season travel.  Some upgrades are minor improvements in room amenities but others have been far superior rooms that would have easily been double or triple the cost.  Concierge Lounge access can be nice too especially for breakfast.  You easily save money on water bottles and non-alcoholic beverages.  Not fistfuls of dollars though.  It's a bit of a game, maybe that is the only way to make it feel more egalitarian.  I do not expect to walk into high-season and get upgraded to a suite.  Platinum status earns points more quickly though as do the credit cards.

paddyscherrer Platinum

one question: did you choose miles or points for your promotions? If you select miles the lifetime targets are much more difficult to hit.

Aabsolutely right there. Earn miles and you're not getting MR points. Since LT is a combo of nights and points, earning in miles means a member won't even get to LT silver

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...