5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2015 4:39 PM by CariJ RSS

Need Help Planning a Truly Momorable Anniversary

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Next spring, my wife and I will be celebrating 50 years of marriage.  We are trying to come up with some ideas for a truly grand vacation.  We would like the kind of luxury that we are notca in the habit of experiencing.  We looked at a couple of Ritz Carlton resorts in CA (Half Moon Bay and Laguna Beach) and they sound nice but we are looking for some other ideas to consider.  We will have over 450,000 points to spend on the trip.  We will also probably go to a large city to a city hotel (Renaisance, FS Marriott, etc.).

We prefer cool climates to hot.  I am open to all kinds of suggestions that are within an eight hour flight (non stop) from Washington DC.

Thanks for any ideas you can offer.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
Colorado, USA
California
Deer Valley, Utah, USA
  • Re: Need Help Planning a Truly Momorable Anniversary
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i have only been to the outside of the Ritz Carlton in halfmoon bay but have been to Halfmoon bay dozens of times. Its a great place to escape the heat waves in the bay area because 90% of the times ive been there it is always cloudy/foggy and cold. The property seems very secluded in the mall town and aside from the views and what the resort has to offer (lounge, spa, golfing, fire pits ) The town honestly reminds me of those small towns where every horror movie is filmed.

If you like cool weather but much more stuff to do and thousands of restaurants and places to go i would just go to the San Francisco Ritz Carlton. Their rooms have been recently updated (as well as halfmoon's) The weather is much nicer as fog stays mostly on the western coast side. SF has been having some quite nice weather (sunny) this spring.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

phctourist,

Congratulation on almost 50 years of marriage!  A truly remarkable accomplishment.  jm1991 might be on to something regarding San Francisco.  There is a property called the Ritz-Carlton Club and Residences - San Francisco San Francisco Luxury Hotels & Resorts | Marriott Vacation Club that I looked into and it looks pretty nice.  It's affiliated with Marriott's Vacation Club brand.  Here's a post on Insiders about it: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/125227#125227.

Also, I think it would not be more than an 8 hour flight, pretty close anyway, but what about Spain?

Barcelona - Cotton House Hotel, Autograph Collection: Barcelona Unique Hotels

Abama - Luxury Hotels in Tenerife - Canary Islands Hotels | The Ritz-Carlton, Abama

Marbella - Vacation Apartments in Marbella| Marriott's Marbella Beach Resort

Playa Andaluza - Beach Resort Estepona | Marriott’s Playa Andaluza

These look like they might be pretty memorable to me.  I'm not sure if this is typical (or when in spring your anniversary falls), but the current 10 day forecast (in April) for Barcelona is in the mid-60's.

Also, I have no idea how long of a flight it is from where you live to the Caribbean (or what springtime temps usually are there), but there are some nice looking properties there too (though can't speak from first hand), like St. Thomas, Scrubb Island, Curacao or St. Croix.

Other grand places come to mind, but are more than an 8 hour flight.  Enjoy the planning!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

congrats phctourist

pluto77 has got some fantastic recommendations for consideration!  IAHFLYR should also have some great ideas, especially with his great experiences in the Caribbean! 

How set are you on that 8 hour flight time?  There's a bit more places to consider if you're willing to travel a little farther. 

I've heard great things about this property in Paris: 5-Star Luxury Hotels in Paris | Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel

I had great service at the Berlin Marriott, so I imagine this property would have great service with lot's to do an see nearby the hotel:  Berlin Hotels – Luxury Hotels Berlin l The Ritz-Carlton

Also noticed this interesting and wonderful looking property an hour outside of Berlin: Germany Hotels - Hotel in Wolfsburg | The Ritz-Carlton

This looks like a interesting new hotel, but being new, there isn't much info about it:  Kameha Grand Zurich, Autograph Collection: Opfikon - Zurich Unique Hotels

I'd love to recommend hotels in Hawaii, but generally the service here isn't as great as the service you'll get at international properties and the aren't much in the way of aspirational Marriott properties here.  And even then, if you want an aspirational type property in Hawaii, you're looking at Kona, Maui, or Kauai, which is where all our Four Seasons, St Regis, Andaz, etc properties are. 

If I can think of anything else, I will le you know.  Happy planning and congrats once again!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

phctourist,

WOW, what a huge achievement and congratulations for sure.  Awesome!!!

Caribbean....you have to look at Scrub Island in the BVI if you want a very very relaxed stay and also retain a few points. Temperatures in the Caribbean are normally in the mid 80's with a wonderful breeze and the water is incredible.

You can access most of the Caribbean Islands in the USVI or BVI through San Juan and a quick connect to either Cape Air (nine seat C402 and a great fun ride) or Seaborne Airlines if a major airline doesn't fly direct to the island you desire.

Keep us updated with your plans, I'm sure they will be perfect.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Congratulations on reaching 50 years, phctourist! I'm not the best at brainstorming epic vacations like these other Insiders, but I wanted to reach out as this is a big deal. Keep us posted on your plans, and have a wonderful trip

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...