14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2015 1:23 PM by brightlybob RSS

Complete novice need Guidance

heathergreen Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I have been a Marriott Silver member for some time but not actively used it as I been an elite member of another well known hotel,

I have now changed my opinion and impressed with Marriott hotels.

So as a complete novice. Could someone please tell me has the "fast  track to Gold Challenge finished? If not what is the next step?

Also how much do I need to spend on Marriott Rewards Mastercard (credit card) to achieve gold/platinum?

Thank you

From UK

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Complete novice need Guidance
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Hello heathergreen!  Welcome to the community! 

Fast Track to Gold Challenge will require 6 stays over a 3 month period.  You should be able to call MR Customer Service and request the challenge. 

Unfortunately, the MR MasterCard you have in the UK gives you only 10 Elite Qualifying Nights (EQNs) per year you have the card and doesn't allow you to earn any additional EQN's as does the MR Premier Visa Signature by Chase here in the US.  However, 10 EQNs are still 10 EQNs and are a great start! 

How many nights do you normally stay in a hotel per year?

Another great way to earn status is through MR Rewarding Events.  You can earn 10 EQNs per event:

Will I earn Elite status by booking meetings and events with Marriott?

As a Rewards member, you will earn 10 Elite nights for each group, meeting or event in addition to the points or miles earned for any qualifying charge.

Following the event, your Elite nights will be posted or added to any existing Elite nights in your account, along with the points or miles earned.

Rewarding Events - FAQs

Hope this helps! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

heathergreen Gold

Wow, what a prompt response. Thank you so much.

I will contact customer service.

You're very welcome heathergreen!  I think the roughly 12 hour time difference between you and I helps (I'm) on Hawaii-Aluetian Time

Best of luck to you!  Let us know how things go and/or if you need any more help!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

kharada46 works the night shift haha. While us East Coasters are sleeping he is typing away helping others! Then when hes sleeping we are starting the day!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yup, there's kharada46, working the night shift, it being daytime in Hawaii. But heathergreen, here in the UK, Wow, you are truly on the nightshift!

As Kharada mentioned, the Gold challenge is to make 6 stays in 3 months. You're upgraded to Gold a few days after the 6th stay credits to your Marriott account. Gold is very useful here in the UK as with the exception of Aberdeen airport Courtyard and Gatwick airport Courtyard, all Marriotts hotels in the UK are Full Service Marriotts and therefore you'll see free breakfasts and free lounge access in the UK Marriotts with a lounge. Also you'll find yourself very regularly upgraded, corner rooms, larger rooms, concierge rooms, exec rooms etc etc. As far as lounges go, be aware that outside the central London properties the only Marriotts with lounges are in Cardiff, Edinburgh, Leeds, Leicester, Glasgow, Manchester Airport, Newcastle Gosforth and Windsor.

Whilst the UK credit card wont help you win over the challenge it does help retain status as it carries a 10-night credit meaning you only need to stay 40 nights to retain Gold. If that's a struggle then for £50 you should be able to arrange a 2-person meeting room in Peterborough for an hour that will get you another 10 nights credit. Not that you'll need to bother about that for a long time, get Gold via the challenge now and it will last to February 2017, whether you ever make the 50 nights or not!

I've been a UK member of Hilton and IHG as well as Marriott. Certainly Hilton does well recognising their much-easier-to-acheive Diamond members with free breakfasts, lounge access to lounges that have happy hours which include spirits. And Hiltons award lots of points and promos, the problem is, the points are pretty worthless, and Hiltons UK inventory is tired and unattractive. IHG has the widest inventory of all UK chains, but it's very variable, some of their Holiday Inns are even shabbier than the Hiltons. Some are amazingly good. The Holiday Inn Express is very functional. The in-stay benefits at IHG are vanishingly small with no brealfast and no lounge access, points are worth less than Marriotts, though redeeming at Intercontinentals is good value and their 4/5 times per year Pointbreaks can be madness value! All the same, there's no question in my mind that Marriott has the best balance of in-stay benefits and redemption value. Carry the card and make the 40 nights a year and you'll not regret your choice!

lol I try ks77

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey heathergreen,  welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insider forum!

Insiders site is a fantastic resource for travelers like yourself to share experiences, insights and recommendations, photography, reflect on stays, and ask questions to a network of experienced members that are always eager to participate and share their perspective.

Being new to the forum, don't hesitate to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to enhance your experience with the forum. Feel free to reach out to me (CariJ) lindseyh, or joshm with any questions or concerns you have about anything Rewards or the site. We make up the moderation team for the forum and we are here as a resource for everyone.

Looks like some other Insiders have pitched in some valuable insights to your question here. If you'd like me to reach out to our team (or a particular Marriott department) for clarity on achieving Gold, please let me know here or in a direct message.

heathergreen Gold

Hi Everyone.

Thank you to everyone who replied  (well....came to my aid!)

Good news is I have now registered. YEAH........am so excited .......Marriott here I come!!

I have tried to contact some members individually.. I don't know where I went wrong.

So I was wondering if anyone can assist me with the following queries:

- can one night in any Marriott hotel constitute as a "stay"?

- what is the difference between a "Standard Rates to Room Packages (apart from the price)

which leads me on to the next question.

Can I book the Room Packages rate to count towards my Gold Fast Track Challenge?

Please let me know, as not many days left to  book

Hi heathergreen!

Happy you'll be "staying" with us! 

One night in a Marriott hotel can constitute as a stay, however, there are rare reports of issues when quickly jumping back and forth between a couple of nearby properties.  Though this isn't limited to just Marriott. 

No difference in terms of EQNs or Reward earning between standard rates and room packages.  Click on rate details to find out what exactly the rate includes, but will often include breakfast, parking, spa treatments, room amenities, etc. 

heathergreen Gold

Hi

Prompt as usual..good to hear from you

I am visiting somebody soon and the nearest Marriott hotel to them is about 2 hours away ( crazy I know )

I was thinking about booking a stay at the Marriott over two weekends (one night) ....to get the ball rolling

As its going to be tight in the next 3 months

Our main holiday was at Christmas and I would have had  no difficulty getting in 6 stays over that period and the next one is near September.

Going back to my question the Room Package is less then the Standard Rate and what more there is breakfast included... it sounded too good to be true.. Hence  I was wondering if there was a catch in it. I don't want to book and not get counted in the Gold Challenge.

Hi heathergreen,

I can't see you having any issues with the rate (never say never I suppose).  This kind of thing isn't out of the ordinary, when available, the Marriott Rewards Elite rates can be cheaper than the standard rate and can be more expensive.  Hard to say why a deal might pop up that might be too good to be true, but that happens too.  If you want to be extra careful, a simple call to the property might help? 

HI Heather, I was one of those you PM'd, I did reply but I'm not sure it went out. So I'll try again here.

A stay is simply 1 or more consecutive nights at the same hotel. A single night is hence a stay.

Packages can often be very good value, and 2 differently named packages can have the same parts, but with one cheaper than the other. I recently booked an advance purchase with breakfast and parking that was cheaper than the advance purchase B&B rate. I'm at the Heathrow Ren on Saturday night on a cancellable elite package with 4 nights parking and 2,000 bonus points that costs far less than the advance purchase room only rate with 2 nights parking.

As far as points and nights go, Marriott is extremely easy here, any rate found on Marriott.com without using a code qualifies. Most codes also qualify, including all Marriott Rewards member rates. Some corporate negotiated rates don't qualify, Marriott employee linked rates don't qualify, and apparently now the travel professional rates don't either. I've never booked a night with Marriott that hasn't qualified, but then I don't enter codes, I just choose from the rates presented on my search.

Enjoy your challenge, the UK has some superb Marriotts.

heathergreen Gold

Hi

Thank you for your much valued response.

You explain things very well and your knowledge of UK is  informative.

Please keep sharing little gems!!

I have booked two stays and now looking to book four more for the challenge.

Always a pleasure, never a chore

if you do need any info on UK Marriotts/Renaissance I'd be happy to help. I've stayed at them all except Hanbury Hall, Twickenham, Sunderland, Glasgow, Bournemouth and London County Hall. Some are my regular Marriotts, Birmingham, Cardiff, Forest of Arden, London Heathrow, London Kensington, Leeds, Leicester, Peterborough, Preston and Worsley Park (although only a few miles from home, lovely place, excellent food!). Most of the rest I've stayed at sometime over the last year or two.

Conversely I've only stayed at one Autograph in the UK (Edinburgh) and have not stayed at the UKs Residence Inn, Courtyards, or the (very semi-detached) London Ritz.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...