14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2015 3:54 PM by CariJ RSS

Not made aware of hotel construction

apj4494 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Using my Marriott rewards points, I recently stayed at this property. Since I travel on business all the time, this was a "staycation" for my husband and I. I completed the survey expressing my displeasure with my stay and have received no other response.  I understand the need to upgrade the hotel, but I think that I should have been notified that was happening at the time. There was no notice of construction anywhere. I wish I had been given the choice to stay or not based on the construction going on at the time. There is no way I would have wasted my points on a stay that was everything but restful. We just wanted to stay in and relax.  That was not possible and we went out into the hallway, we had to step over carpet that was being ripped up.  We had to walk around construction workers who were moving items to and from rooms.  Again, anything but restful. I did state in the survey that this would not deter me from staying at a Residence Inn in the future.  I would suggest however, that I be made fully aware of what is going on at the time, so that I could make a choice on whether or not I stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chesapeake Greenbrier
  • Re: Not made aware of hotel construction
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It would be nice if every property would alert you with a marquee when you are making a reservation to alert you to construction projects.  I have seen a number of places that do have notices on the main hotel page, yet it should be in a place you can easily find without having to search AND be Marriott property wide.

What ya say joshm, CariJ, KatieC, can this be something the "Greater Team" and "I T Department" work toward?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Sorry to hear about this, apj4494. I can totally understand your frustration. I will pass your feedback on to our team, and  IAHFLYR's suggestion for sending out alerts for property construction projects. Thank you for taking the time to share this with the Insiders family. 

apj4494 Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks so much for your follow up to this. It was appreciated. I have had many great experiences with Marriott and the rewards program.  I will make sure to post the positive results as well in the future.

Jsucool76 Gold

I usually end up finding out about construction from TA. Rarely do I see anything on the booking page that mentions construction.

I just made a reservation at the PHL Airport Marriott and found this in the confirmation email right above the Summary of Charges so we know it is possible for the construction alert to be posted as well.

Hotel Alert

Rollaway beds are not allowed in rooms with two double beds. Please do not request.

marmelade555 Gold

I agree!  Recently used a free night stay in Baton Rouge, Louisiana at the Residence Inn. ( Corporate Blvd.) It was awful!  Dust and paint smells everywhere.  The smell of the glue and new carpet could knock you out. The room we were assigned still had a long way to go to be considered "remodeled".  We were very disappointed.

Hey marmelade555, thank you for sharing this with us. I'm going to pass this feedback on to our team. If you'd like to talk to someone from our team about this, just shoot me a DM with your Rewards number and the best way to reach you.

marmelade555, our team has contacted the hotel and requested that the hotel post on Marriott.com as well as on the reservation agents hotel page so guests are aware prior to arrival.

marmelade555 Gold

Thanks so much.  That night was probably the worst hotel stay we have had in 10+ years.   Thanks for following up.

CariJ,

Great followup and thanks.  However; the larger picture I believe is to make it a worldwide Marriott property item that this type stuff is put up for future guests to be aware of things.

You bring up a good point IAHFLYR. I will make a recommendation to our team that Marriott consider launching a method in which all properties alert members of construction at the time of the reservation.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i agree, hotels should post a notice on the website. i was made aware of this for my stay in vegas which is fine by me, so yeah, its possible to let guests know ahead of time

Untitled.png

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Most times when i make a reservation at a hotel under construction it always says it on web site at the reservation time 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...