24 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2015 1:35 AM by kharada46 RSS

Reaching platinum

beaug Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello everyone

This is my first post to the community, after being a reader for quite some time.

I have a question about platinum challenges. I am currently a Gold Elite member and have been for around four or so years. I am based in Australia, with only 6 properties currently in Australia, it is difficult for me to progress beyond gold; however I do stay in Marriott hotels overseas, this is not for an excessive number of nights.

I read of members being offered platinum challenges, however nothing has ever been offered to me. Does anyone have any tips on how to accelerate to platinum?  Again, with only 6 properties in Australia, 3 being in my home city, it is rather difficult reaching platinum the conventional way.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Beau

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Reaching platinum
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Welcome to the community beaug

That is a great question!  I'm not too familiar with the Platinum Challenge myself, but there are other ways to earn Elite Qualifying Nights (EQNs). 

A way that might work for you would be to hold a meeting at a Marriott properties.  When I had a need, I would book 1 hour meetings at a local Marriott property and would earn 10 EQNs per meeting.  This has been a point of confusion lately, as some properties and/or Marriott reps would insist that you'd need to have catering too, but I've always done it without catering and the FAQ on Marriott.com states the following:

Will I earn Elite status by booking meetings and events with Marriott?

As a Rewards member, you will earn 10 Elite nights for each group, meeting or event in addition to the points or miles earned for any qualifying charge.

Following the event, your Elite nights will be posted or added to any existing Elite nights in your account, along with the points or miles earned.

Rewarding Events - FAQs

So if you can indeed get rewarding events EQNs for meetings, it is the best way to earn and maintain status without having to stay.  Hope this helps! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I'd like to point out some outdated info on the Rewarding Events - FAQs page...

How much will I need to spend on an event to qualify for the maximum rewards?

One qualifying event of $16,667 will earn you the maximum rewards of 50,000 points or 15,000 miles – enough for two free nights at a Category 5 hotel in Hawaii.

This is no longer true.  The lowest category property in Hawaii in now a Cat 7.  That's right... even though not-so-good CYs are a Cat 7.... This is why the free night from the Chase card does absolutely nothing for me! 

NathalieF, could you please inform the web team to remove this possibly misleading info?  Thanks!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Over the past couple of years I've held 4 such short 1-to-1 meetings at Marriotts. Both the points and EQNs failed to credit EVERY time requiring repeated chasing. I now hold such meetings at IHG hotels where, although no EQNs are offered, the meetings post reliably.

I think your experience is, unfortunately, quite common brightlybob.  Last year there was a lot of arguing about whether or not EQNs were in fact a benefit of Rewarding Events and many properties had their own interpretation of the policy anyway.  And yup, even as a regular at my property, I always double and triple checked to ensure my rewards number was on my contract.  I made sure the event managers would follow up with me to ensure the EQNs and points posted as well.  It really shouldn't be this difficult, but it is...

joshm Member

beaug,

Welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insider forum!

The Insiders site is a wonderful resource for frequent travelers to share experiences, insights and recommendations, photography, reflect on stays, and pose questions to a network of experienced and friendly road warriors that are always willing to participate and share their perspective (as you have done so here, and thanks for the super helpful responses kharada46).

Being new to the page, don't hesitate to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to optimize your experience with the forum. Also, feel free to reach out to me (joshm), lindseyh, or CariJ with any questions or concerns you have about anything Rewards or the site. We make up the moderation team for the forum and we're here to help.

Regarding your post, I'd be happy to look into getting you signed up for the Taste of Platinum challenge if that is something you would like to do. Shoot me a DM with your Rewards number and contact information to begin.

Welcome to the site!

cxgudino Gold

All you would have to do is call into the rewards program and ask for the platinum challenge and they will give you a 3m period to stay 9-14 times in most  cases

beaug Platinum

Thanks all for the advice

Unfortunately the events suggestion isn't an option in Australia, according to MR customer service.

Joshm, I've sent you a dm as suggested. Look forward to hearing back soon.

Beau

joshm Member

Message received, beaug!

Additionally, brightlybob (as he always does ) makes an excellent point in his post about contacting the helpline directly.

bummer beaug!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I haven't heard of Marriott voluntarily issuing a Plat Challenge, but you can ring the Marriott Rewarsds helpline and ask for a Platinum challenge. Stay 9 times in 3 months and you'll get Plat to Feb 2017. If you've got plenty of reservations already coming up they might even give you the "taste of Platinum" where you're given the status immediately for 3 months while you make the stays. The taste of promo has frequently been called as dead, but I got it last year. I think a good record and many upcoming reservations in the system may oil those wheels!

sksasek Platinum

How about getting the Marriott Rewards Credit Card?  I used it, in conjunction with staying at Marriott, to achieve Lifetime Platinum status.  I admit that with two sons in college, it was easier.  I put their tuition on the card and stayed at the Marriott whenever we visited them. It added up quickly.

ndn Platinum

Spend $75,000 on the Ritz card, if it is available to you.

eyesee Platinum 2 Reviews

I am in need of nights to maintain my Platinum status for this year.

I liked the suggestion to book a one hour meeting room without food/beverage service to receive 10 elite qualifying nights.

I called 3 different Marriott hotels in my area (1 Courtyard and 2 Marriott) and the event managers unequivocally said that I would only receive 3 points for every dollar spent renting the meeting room.

No EQN are given.

Any suggestions on what type of Marriott to use?  Maybe it has to be a corporate owned Marriott, not independently owned and just licensed as Marriott?  Maybe it has to be managed by Marriott itself?  I just learned that  Marriott doesn't necessarily manage every hotel. One of the Marriott brand hotels I called is managed by a company named Pyramid.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Hi eyesee!

Marriott actually owns very few properties.  Nearly all are franchises.  The Rewarding Events page clearly states that you are supposed to earn 10 EQNs for your meeting, group stay, or event:

Will I earn Elite status by booking meetings and events with Marriott?

As a Rewards member, you will earn 10 Elite nights for each group, meeting or event in addition to the points or miles earned for any qualifying charge.

Following the event, your Elite nights will be posted or added to any existing Elite nights in your account, along with the points or miles earned.

Rewarding Events - FAQs

You may try to argue this point with the property, but as we've seen, properties often interpret Marriott Rewards Elite Benefits in their own way and do the same with Rewarding Events.  I'm not sure what kind of recourse we have, but it might be a good start to get our wonderful Insiders team involved to see if they can help.  How about it CariJ?? 

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for the mention, kharada46. I've reached out to the team to get clarity on eyesee's inquiry and will get back to you guys once I have more information.

Jsucool76 Gold

I think their event managers were just misinformed. Marriott clearly states you'll receive 10 elite night credits. Argue with em till they just agree with you.

Thank you for all your responses.  However, the Marriott Rewards FAQ page is not clear.  It states the rewards in two completely different ways:

1. What types of meetings and events qualify to earn points or miles?

As a Rewards member, you are qualified to earn points or miles with your signed Group Sales agreement or contract for any social event, meeting or room block that actualizes to at least 10 rooms for one night.  (What does this mean?  I thought it meant that you have to pay for at least 10 guest rooms along with the rental of the meeting room.)

2.Will I earn Elite status by booking meetings and events with Marriott?

As a Rewards member, you will earn 10 Elite nights for each group, meeting or event in addition to the points or miles earned for any qualifying charge. Following the event, your Elite nights will be posted or added to any existing Elite nights in your account, along with the points or miles earned.

Very confusing!

Hey eyesee, thanks for sharing this and articulating where the policy is confusing. I've passed this on to our team to get clarity, and will get back to you once I've got more information. So far, this is what I've learned:

The member must work with the hotel sales department and sign a contract. Member must provide Loyalty Rewards account number when signing event contract. 

The following hotel brands participate in Rewarding Events:

• Marriott Hotel & Resorts / JW Marriott Hotels / Renaissance Hotel & Resorts / MVC / Courtyard Hotels / Gaylord Hotels / Moxy Hotels
      • EDITION / Autograph Collection / The Ritz-Carlton Hotels & Resorts / AC Hotels / SpringHill Suites / Fairfield Inn & Suites / Conference Centers

Earnings are as follows:

• 3 points per USD with maximum of 50,000 points earned per event

OR

Additionally, members earn 10 elite nights per event at participating brands.

I realize that you were told by a Courtyard and two Marriott properties (i.e. participating properties) that you weren't able to earn those 10 elite nights. Since this appears to contradict the policy, I've passed this information on to our team to look into.

CariJ!  Looking forward to seeing what you can find out.  Thanks for all that you do! 

Alright, eyesee, I've got some clarity from our team. the hotel is a participating hotel (see my previous response for participating hotels) and the member has an eligible event or a block or at least 10 rooms, then they will earn 10 elite nights and 3 points per dollar as per the T/C. Our team is not able to clarify what an eligible event is. The member would need to speak to the hotel sales department and there must be a signed contact with the members Reward number on it. 

It appears to me that you spoke with two participating hotel types. Our team would be happy to research this further for your situation. They will need the name of the hotel, the dates and type of event, and your Rewards number and name. If you'd like me to request that the team look into this further, shoot me a DM with this info (particularly for the Rewards number to remain private).

Dear CariJ,

Thank you very  much for your attention and your time towards my inquiry.

I greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Thanks CariJ!  Great stuff!  I'm a little disturbed that they would leave what is an eligible event up to the property... we all know how well things go when that happens!    Best of luck to you eyesee

beaug Platinum

Hi there

Still waiting to hear back from joshm following a DM discussion. It has been 6 days so far, and no reply to my DMs to chase him up. Is this a usual timeframe? Any suggestions on next steps?

Cheers

Beau

joshm Member

I've sent you a DM, beaug

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...