28 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2015 4:59 PM by CariJ RSS

Grand Cayman Marriott cant guarantee double bed accomodation

dimka448 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Interesting situation. Booked Grand Cayman Marriott 8 month ahead for spring break stay. 4 people. We leaving for our vacation in 5 days. Just got an email from Marriott stating that they can not assign me a double bed room - only room with king size bed and sofa bed. This accommodation will not comfortably fits us - my wife, myself and our two daughters (15 and 10 yo). Sofa bed can't fit two people. My inquiry for roll away bed was not answered.

Any suggestions how to handle this situation? We are Marriott silver rewards member and staying in various Marriott and Ritz properties multiple times, but it is a first time we encounter such situation... I understand that this is a spring break, but still... Do they really want me to sleep in the lobby?

Again, we booked hotel 8 + month in advance and requested 2 double bed accommodation.. For all worries and aggravation we are not really looking forward going to this hotel...

Your advise is appreciated..

Thanks,

DG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Grand Cayman Marriott cant guarantee double bed accomodation
    ndn Platinum

Unless you are GOLD/PLATINUM, you really can't do much about it; there is no guarantee for members with SILVER status. Did you call to ask about the rollaway bed or e-mail?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dimka448 Silver

Yes I did, but they did not responded to me yet. I'm sure they don't want to see me setting up a tent in the lobby ;-)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Website for the property says no rollaway beds.

ndn Platinum

You called them, too? I would not just talk over e-mail and wait for a response.

Bottom line: You have very little negotiating power here. The hotel is not going to move a Gold or Platinum elite member from a guaranteed room type so that you can get yours, which is not guaranteed to you as a Silver elite. Your BATNA is probably very low here, since you can't really set up a tent in the lobby. The second you do set up such a tent, you will probably find it and yourself in the street or the police station.

Your best bet is to quickly become Gold elite and rebook the double-bed room at whatever rate is available. If that is not possible, you should certainly call the hotel and see what arrangements can possibly be made. It looks like the junior suites at the hotel have sofa beds. Have you looked at upgrading to that room? The junior suite rooms also sometimes come with two beds AND a sofa bed. If no arrangements can be made, you can't really do anything except threaten to (or actually) cancel.

dimka448 Silver

Obviously setting a tent was a joke. I'm sure Marriott will figure out something - at least it is not a Motel 8! For $500 a night they at least will try to make sure their guest feel comfortable. They do have rollaway beds listed as option to be requested, so I just hope for the best.

They are position themselves as family resort. And I do not think that family of 4 (two adults and two kids) it is something extraordinary. Rooms with two queen beds I do no think are so rare...

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

maybe the 2 beds are in high demand for that reason, that is a family resort and therefore alot of people request two beds. Seems like you are out of luck till arrival. Air mattress does seem like a good idea in case you dont get a 2 bed. As far as trying to make their guests comfortable, not everyone will get their request. As for rollaways, they may be a fire hazard due to size of the room or not allowed because there is already a pull out sofa.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I assume that the 2 double bed request is fairly rare, so the percentage or rooms configured that way is small. Probably someone with higher status or who booked earlier than you got it.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

There might be a convention or some other event going on during the time you are there, that is often the case. That doesn't make your problem go away, but it might be the reason for it. I hope you are able to get the room you desire.

vickisocal Platinum

More likely families staying on spring break. Conventions tend to use up the king rooms.

dimka448 Silver

Just spoke with them. They offered air mattress.. I'm not sure if I'm happy with this solution, but it is what it is.

Not a good start of our vacation...

ndn Platinum

What would the right solution be then? Have you considered just upgrading to a junior suite and using the sofa bed?

vickisocal Platinum

King rooms and junior suites have exactly the same bedding- one king, one sofa bed.

The JS would have more room for a airbed, other than that no real help.

dimka448 Silver

Hotel is fully booked. No JS are listed as available between April 3rd and April 9th. Besides, even if it is available - just imagine how much it would cost if regular room is listed as $489 a night plus $45 resort fee and tax!

No more spring break traveling....

ndn Platinum

If the regular room has a sofa bed, then why not have two people sleep on that?     

dimka448 Silver

two small for two. Confirmed with fiends who stayed in this hotel before and also confirmed with Marriott representative - it is too small for two.

vickisocal Platinum

I don't recall it being much smaller than a double.

We have 13/15 year old girls and started booking 2 rooms a long time ago. My husband and I just do not fit on a double- he's 6'2" and I'm 5'7, and the girls started really hating sharing awhile ago. One bathroom on top of that it it just isn't much of a vacation.

ndn Platinum

I always book multiroom suites or adjoining rooms for my wife, my 3-year-old son, and me. My son won't fall asleep in the same room or bed as us and harasses us all night. In his own room, he sleeps well. Sure, it adds cost, but it is the cost of having a family and doing a vacation.

ndn Platinum

Quickly get gold status...

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Talk to the Front Desk staff when you arrive, they are fabulous and will do everything in their power to make sure you are happy & accommodated no matter what your Elite stays is.

I've stayed on this property a lot and as recently as early March for a week, I can almost guarantee you will be pleased.

BTW the hotel has had a total make-over and its a very very nice to spend property your spring break.

All the best.

JD

dimka448 Silver

Thanks! reading comments for this hotel on Tripadvisor and other sites - seems like everyone is complimenting the staff of this hotel. I'm sure they will try to do everything possible to make their guests happy. Even some extra points and free breakfast would go a long way so we could tolerate an airbed in the room ;-)

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey dimka448, thanks for sharing your situation with the Insiders forum. Sorry to hear about the room change, I can see why that's quite inconvenient. It appears that you have already reached out to the property to get a solution. If you'd me to escalate this issue to a member of our team for further support, I'd be happy to do so! Just DM me with your Rewards # and contact info, and I can have our team look into it.

Like this post you've shared with the forum today, the Insiders site is a great resource for travelers to share among one other. From advice and destination insights to trip photos and general conversation, the Insiders network is an great tool!

Being new to the page, check out our Getting Started Guide for tips/tricks to enhance your Insiders experience. Also, don't hesitate to reach out to me ( CariJ), lindseyh, or joshm with any questions, comments or concerns you have about the site or anything Rewards. We comprise the community management team for the Insiders forum!

Thanks for taking the time to post, and welcome to the site! I hope you have a great trip to the Cayman Islands.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...