6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2015 2:05 PM by CariJ RSS

Beware "Peppers!" restaurant in Budapest Marriott (RESOLVED)

7 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

An otherwise nice stay at the Budapest Marriott was marred by my experience at their restaurant: "Peppers!".

When I checked in I noticed multiple fliers in the lobby, the lounge, etc... advertising that Thursday night they had a 50% discount on steak at the restaurant. I mentioned it to my local friend and we made it a point to have dinner there on Thursday night. We were told that the discount was on the steak as part of a 2 course meal, so you had to order a starter or dessert. We both ordered starters, steaks, and sides. It was pretty good and I would've been happy with the experience if I hadn't realized that they did not actually give us the discount. I didn't notice until after I paid and by then it was too much hassle as they had already prepared an official receipt.

I wouldn't be too upset about it if I thought it was a simple mistake, but I had another friend that ate there separately the same night and the same occurred to him. Also, I witnessed a woman at another table have to get a manager to come fix her bill. So, it really seems like it is their plan to lure people in with the promise of a discount and then not give it unless the customer complains.

As I said, the food was good, it's just a shame that they would stoop to such business practices. If you do eat there, just be aware and be sure that you check your bill.

Update: The hotel reached out to me and has taken care of the situation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Budapest, Hungary Marriott Hotels & Resorts Budapest Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Beware "Peppers!" restaurant in Budapest Marriott
    CariJ Marriott Associate Member

That's no good, 7! I've passed this information on to our team to have them reach out to the property. Thanks for sharing this with the Insiders family.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I forgot to mention that when Thursday night came most of the "50% off Steak Night" flyers were taken down. It's as if they had them out to get people to plan to eat there on Thursday, but then took them down in hopes that they would forget about the discount.

As I said, the food was good. But, I think the business practice is very shady.

chris0311 Platinum

A good way to to get people in the doors but guaranteed to kill repeat business. Shady and silly.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Thank you CariJ! You apparently reached out to the right people.

The property reached out to me, did some research and found my receipt (since I didn't have it), and did make it right by giving me the credit.

They say there was a technical glitch in the billing system that night, so hopefully my suspicions were overblown and it was just a fluke. I guess it's still a good idea to pay closer attention to receipts before paying them though.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

That's great news, 7! I'm very happy to hear that the property reached out to you and corrected the mistake.

Jsucool76 Gold

that's where the credit card dispute comes in.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...