12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2016 10:38 PM by iahflyr RSS

Why Does Marriott Choose who will Rate their Hotels?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The more I think about the new policy on hotel reviews, the more disappointed I get.  These reviews now have no value since the hotels(or Marriott) are deciding who will review them.  When I want an opinion of a hotel,  I will go to Trip Adviser.

Why doesn't Marriott simply send a request for a review to everyone who stays.  I noticed that after my recent trip (6 Marriott properties) I only received one opportunity to review a hotel.  Of course, it was not tthe one where I had complained to management about several problems.

Hotel reviews used to be one of the most important services offered by Insiders.  Now they are suspect, at best, and possibly worthless!!!!!!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why Does Marriott Choose who will Rate their Hotels?
    worldwidetraveller Platinum 3 Reviews

Phctourist,

I totally agree with you.  I recently traveled to China and stayed at three different facilities on four short stays.  I wanted to compliment staff at two facilities; but have no way of doing that. 

Now that Marriott has become so bi, I am not sure if they pay attention to customers feedback at all. It is possible that the administrative cost is too high to manage customer reviews; but if they are good reviews, it would be prudent for a company to maintain the reviews. By eliminating customers' ability to review a hotel, Marriott creates a perception that they don't care what customer thinks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree.  Had several stays earlier this year where there was plenty of feed back for Marriott--- both positive and constructive.  I think I've only had 1 or 2 surveys offered the entire year.... where there was nothing to say.

shortcut Gold

In the past year so far I have had at least 20 stays in various Marriott properties and don't recall ever getting to submit a review. Too bad for them some of their properties I have really liked and had excellent staff that I would like to recommend, others you couldn't pay me to go back to.

Until recently all my hotel stays were arranged by the college/university or literary agents that arranged my visiting lectures etc....therefore I was not a member of MR or other frequent traveler programs.

Surprisingly, it was unusual if I DIDN'T receive a request to review the property (via email) within a day or two after checking out.

These reviews (as far as I am aware) were not published to the public - so I have no idea what use they were except for the hotel to ignore any suggestions I offered.

Platinum

Like only having your friend, brother, cousin, and uncle review your restaurant -  "Wow - 4 stars, food was tremendous, service impeccable, would come back every night if they let me"   I think I'll now self-publish my guide to Marriott Properties - written by elite MRI members only - it might only sell a few copies, but would be too much fun to resist!

$9.95  - not available in stores...coming soon!

702rugbyref Platinum

It is just like YELP...if you want to make your business better, you get those around you to provide the feedback to make it so. Of course, the competition could do the same thing negatively. Either way, if Marriott is not interested in getting feedback - both bad and good, I think it will disclose a little regarding it's culture.

I have by far put many positive experiences into a blog but I have put some negative on here. I have found the negative actually gets attention by the moderators which is appreciated for sure but some folks have expressed the need to display on external sites such as Tripadvisor or Expedia as well to really draw attention.

Platinum

but even with a loaded deck of paid-off or well-fed friends on Yelp, you can't block reviews you don't like (or at least not easily). This is just plain censorship - hardly a Bill Marriott value!

702rugbyref Platinum

Trust me..I am far from supporting censorship except when it comes to profanity (I'm a bad offender and have been on here early in the game).

Platinum

Maybe I'll start a "Marriott Outsider's" site - and let people outside of the fence review what's going on inside - just  at thought

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

MRO has already been started a few years back and went the way of folks not wanting to stay connected.  Best of luck with that, yet great idea!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...