25 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2017 5:01 PM by YogiB RSS

Free Night's Marriott Stay Phone Scam

lilyofthevalley Member
Currently Being Moderated

Just received a call offering me a free night's stay at a Marriott.  You are asked to press one if you are interested in the stay (which in my sleepy haze, I did). I had just been awakened by the call and when I asked the person to please get to the point of the call (they were going on with a lot of marketing banter), they hung up. My number is registered on the no-call list. The  number that shows is one that is very local to the area - the first three digits are the same as mine. I reported the call as a scam to both my phone company and on a government website.

If you get a call like this, don't press 1, just hang up. And Marriott, this has been in the news from what I have researched - send a message to your loyalty program members to warn of these kind of scams. The fact that I just booked a Marriott room and now I am getting scam calls naming that hotel makes me very uncomfortable. I

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Free Night's Marriott Stay Phone Scam
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Thank you for letting us know about this. Perhaps NathalieF, can elevate this to corporate so action can be taken. Perhaps a short statement on marriott.com or an email blast to rewards members regarding this type of scam is needed. Marriott in my opinion should be proactive in situations like this and it would basically stop these scammers in their tracks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lilyofthevalley Member

Thanks, ks77, I hope Marriott does send out some sort of communication. I never knew about it until yesterday, but I can see that it is not something new.

carlana Member

I just received this call myself (Canada, Vancouver).  The taped message stated I'd been randomly selected to receive a free stay at a Marriott (where I've had great accommodation in the past) so I pressed 'one' as requested.  After a rather lengthy canned musical interlude someone with a distinctly Caribbean accent was unwilling to provide further information about this 'promotion".  First this individual - live person, not canned - needed confirmation that I was over 18 (check) and then asked for credit card information.  CLICK.  That's the sound of this sucker hanging up.  Anyway, I then proceeded to phone the local number on my call display from which this scam call had presumably originated.  Talked to a lovely local lady who was just as dumbfounded as I was about how her phone number appeared to have been the origin of this scam.  After a rather suspicious chat, I came to believe she was absolutely truthful about having nothing to do with this call.  All of which is by way of saying, this is evidently a double scam.  Not only are the crooks trying to extract credit card information from people but they are also spoofing telephone numbers.  Heads up, ladies and germs.  There are some really nasty financial predators out there.  Don't be a victim. Lots more about this below so evidently I and the puzzled surrogate "non-scammer" are not the only victims.  Maybe it pays to do a check on your own phone number every once in awhile just to be sure you're not an unsuspecting criminal fraudster.

joshm Member

Excellent post here, lilyofthevalley, and welcome to the Insiders forum.

Like the news you have taken the time to share here, the Insiders site is a great resource for all you savvy travelers to share among one other. From recommendations and destination insights to photography and general conversation, the Insiders network is an awesome tool!

Being new to the page, you should check out our Getting Started Guide for tips and tricks to optimize your Insiders experience. Additionally, don't hesitate to reach out to me (joshm), lindseyh, or CariJ with any questions or concerns you have about the site or anything Rewards. We make up the community management team for the forum!

Regarding your post, you are definitely not the first, and probably not the last, to have shared this with us. We've passed this information along to the team as they work through the processes to eliminate these scam calls.

Thanks for taking the time to post, and welcome to the site.

lilyofthevalley Member

Thanks for the welcome, joshm, I am getting used to navigating this site and finding out what it has to offer. Thanks for passing the information along, hopefully they can at least warn people about this.

cd5 Member

The scammers are masking their real phone number with a local number so the number on we see on caller id is useless for tracing them...In my case, it is the real number of one of the department heads, here on the university campus. 

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thank you everyone for continuing to let us know about the phone scams. As joshm mentioned above, this information has been escalated to the appropriate teams here and they are working on solving this.

mr.jbird Silver

I just received a phone call on my cell phone from a local area number with a recording identifying the call being made by Marriott hotels and offering congratulations that I was selected for free stay at Marriott hotels...yadda, yadda, yadda. It was obviously fraudulent and was identical in content to those reported in this blog in years past. 

Clearly this problem continues to exist and what I find so disturbing about it, is that Marriott seems to do nothing about it other than "escalating the information to the appropriate teams" who are working to solve the issue.  The lack of any specificity or ever mention of any conclusions or results of the work that these "teams" have conducted leads me to believe the response is little more than lip service to a problem which its customers continue to face which may have resonated from a breach in the data Marriott collects on them.  I believe Marriott has some responsibility to take real actionable measures to address this issue, which it has provided no evidence whatsoever that it has done.  Tell me more about the composition of these "teams", their specific scope of work to address this ongoing issue, any conclusions or findings they have determined and actions they are taking, and I'll believe Marriott is sincere.  Otherwise, I feel I am scammed twice.  Once by the callers which tried to make me believe I had won something when I didn't, then secondly by Marriott which is trying to make me believe it is doing something about the issue when it isn't.  I hope you will prove me wrong.

BTW, if Marriott made it widely known that it is making a serious effort to go after these scammers, my bet is the problem would go away very quickly, at least with respect to scams involving the Marriott brand.  It might just also prove to be a very cost effective way to create a lot of goodwill around the globe and elevate Marriott's reputation as being a "world class" corporate citizen.  Tell the world what you are doing to combat the problem, demonstrate the results and prove me wrong, and I can assure you that you will not only earn my admiration, but those of your customers around the globe.  Talk about cost effective way to promote the company! But whatever you do, don't just sit in your haunches and act like you are doing something about it when you are not.  There is only one market where that kind if pandering is convincing, and to my knowledge its a market that Marriott does not yet serve.  Its called "Never-Never Land".

corneliaross Member

This reminds me of the automated message left on my voicemail. It said, "Because you're a recent customer of Marriott, you got picked in a drawing and won a free vacation sponsored by Marriott. Press 1 to confirm attendance."

While this sounds interesting, obviously, the call is a bluff. I've never booked a stay in Marriott. 

corneliaross Member

By the way, the caller used this phone number: 604-377-7331. I looked it up and https://www.callercenter.com/604-377-7331.html came up along with a complaint confirming that it's a scam call. Beware!

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Thanks corneliaross, for sharing these details on the voicemail you received. This information is much appreciated and helps our team eliminate scam calls.

corneliaross Member

By the way, the caller used this phone number: 604-377-7331. I did a phone number search at Callercenter and pulled up a complaint confirming that it's a scam call. Beware!

motomoto Member

I was getting a lot of these calls on my home phone and now yesterday they have started on my unlisted cell phone. The home phone caller ID shows a local number but my cell shows a completely different number +7(808) 701-216. I thought if someone is doing real investigating on this pain in the *** issue this number might help.  I also used my cell number on booking.com a couple weeks before the calls started on my cell. Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing this with the forum, motomoto. I've passed this on to our team.

For a little more information on these scam calls, this is what our team has told us: These calls are not being generated by Marriott or any affiliate of Marriott. There is a series of fraudulent telephone calls being made in Canada where the caller requests personal information, including credit card information, in order for the person answering the call to receive a complimentary stay at a Marriott hotel. This practice, known as “scamming," typically incorporates a company’s branding and messaging in order to trick someone into providing personal information.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

happymomoffour Member

I fell for that tonight because it came from a local number.  I called that number and the poor old man had no idea what I was talking about.  I called my provider and was told that they will now use my number to call others but they have no reports of these numbers being used to call long distant calls.  If any show up on my bill, my account has been flagged and they will take care of any charges that show up.

If they do use my number for long distance, I will then change my number.

There are a lot of sick people out there.

excy Member

Just received the same telemarketing call...from "Marriott" offering me a free nights stay.  This is the second time this week I have received this call.  Once was late at night.  That time I just hung up.  This time I pressed #1 as requested to get my name off this list....but after a short wait with annoying music, I could not understand the speaker.  I gave NO information to the caller.....but noticed that they are masking something by using a local telephone number. The particular number they used is not in service.  I am on the Canadian no-call list....but this has not helped at all.  BIG scam.  VERY annoying.

Thanks for sharing, excy. Sorry for the inconvenience, I totally understand. Marriott has been hearing about a lot of calls like these and are investigating.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Insiders, thanks for your continued updates on the phone call scamming. It seems like the calls have died down, but I wanted to close the loop and share the below Marriott News Center article regarding the continued phone scam:

Marriott International Responds to Continued Phone Scam - Marriott News Center

YogiB Platinum

I originally missed out on this topic, but I will quickly shed some light on it.

I have also been called numerous times. At the time it was a resort in Mexico that hired a local company to auto-dial out their scam calls. It's the local company that identified as a hotel chain or a airline company that offers a 1000$ dollar stay.

My phone number is registered on the Do Not Call register, so I'm not supposed to receive marketing calls. On top, they use number spoofing to hide their real number. Heck, they have even (ab)used my number to call other people in my city!

I've reported the calls on several occasions to the Canadian Anti Fraud Centre, but it's a big struggle to find out who really is behind. Especially because the people in the call centre hang up immediately when you start complaining.

When I have the time, I actually talk to them. I pretend to be interested, get the sales person all exited, see if I can even pay for upgrades, etc. So half an hour later there's the moment that they want to have my credit card details and I flip them off that I'm not giving my credit card to scammers and I will continue to waste their time. Ever since wasting their time, they seem to be dying down. Because they actually do have call centres employees to pay, this is hurting them the most on the short term. In my phone conversation I try to get as much information as possible as to which companies are involved. All the calls on my cellphone are automatically recorded, so I can even go back to note down names.

Kingfish45 Gold

What a coincidence. My number was drawn too.  I have gotten several of those lately.  I usuallly just cuss them and hang up. I realize it is a recording but it makes me feel good.  I  too am on the do not call list and that does not seem to be working. 

jeffreym Member

I also just received a spam call saying I was chosen fro a free nights stay at Marriott and pressed one as directed. I was asked if I was over the age of 28. I asked who was speaking and they hung up. This happened after using my rewards card over the weekend, booking a room in Hartford Ct. What is going on Marriott?

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Jeffrey,

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Please see my direct message for follow up.

YogiB Platinum

jeffreym

As I wrote before: these are scam calls and the company behind it only uses the Marriott name to make you fall for their scheme. Marriott did never authorize this nor do they have any part in this.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...