6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2016 4:08 AM by mbglobetrotter RSS

Qualifying Charges

Jsucool76 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

So I recently stayed at the JW Marriott Essex House, on a reward. We did order 2 meals from room service, and had a few drinks in the executive lounge, so my bill came out to $169. I know @ a JW you get points on "qualifying charges" but I only earned 773 points (618 + 155 for elite) from the stay. At 10 points per dollar, 618 points is points awarded for $61.80.

So what didn't qualify? Or what does count as a qualifying purchase? I don't really see anything that specifically lists what does and doesn't count anywhere, but maybe I just overlooked it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Qualifying Charges
    CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey Jsucool76, I'd be happy to pass this on to our team to look into. Just shoot me a DM with your Rewards number and I'll send your information their way

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Cari it would be good to share as it has become unclear what is and what isn't .

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Sure thing, jerryl! I will share our team's insight on qualifying charges with the thread once I've got clarification

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi Jsucool76! CariJ and team looked into this, and it looks like there was a bit of a mix-up when posting your points. I have sent you a DM with a bit more detail.

luxk69 Gold

Hi, I am also interested in what 'qualifying charges' mean, when the stay is not qualified because, let's say on points or TVL code, all miscellanous charges are not qualified as well? Parking fees, meals, gifts etc, are these qualified charges in this case?

Does the paid amount qualify, incl. taxes, or are all qualified charges excl. taxes?

pls clarify as I had issues in the past as the nights didn't even show in the system after the stay when the nights were not qualified for elite status.

mbglobetrotter Member

Happy to know that others share the confusion..

the terms and conditions :

"Charges that do not qualify for Points include taxes applied to the room rate, purchase of Marriott gift certificates or gift cards, purchase of The Ritz-Carlton gift certificates or gift cards, charges for third party-provided goods and services at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels, and catering or banquet functions charged to the guest room account."

... so in short no taxes and everyhting arranged but not directly provided by Marriott does not qualify.

Source: Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions

However it does not explicit state what are the actual qualifying charges.

Anyone has a link or idea where to find more infos on this?!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...