16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2015 6:36 PM by jerryl RSS

Travel Tips from Other Countries for Visiting America

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A common topic in Insiders is travel tips for traveling to countries other than the U.S., including cultural differences to be aware of, but what does the rest of the world say about traveling to the US?  This article sheds some light on this:

What the Rest of the World REALLY Thinks of America

You may find the article entertaining or slightly offensive, depending on your views. 

So what tips have you heard, or do you give, to those visiting the U.S. for the first time? 

• Re: Travel Tips from Other Countries for Visiting America
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

"No, never, not gonna happen!"  LOL.    That's right, we're equal here (Well, more equal anyway.)    (You should have heard what a French woman that I recently befriended told me this trip... It's still not good for women in France even today!)

The French advice was the funniest (and truest).  In America, we need more privacy in the privy!!!

My advice to foreigners... Get in line, wait your turn.  Be courteous, don't crowd or get in front of someone who is already standing there.  Rude.  Learn some manners or don't come.  I also agree with - use deodorant and yes, prepare to pay sales tax as well as gratuities.  And it's true, we are hyper sensitive when it comes to our politics, so do tread lightly. 

Headed to France?  Do NOT conduct business with anyone without first providing the proper greeting.  It is truly considered very rude to do so.

Headed to the UK?  It is very important to look to your RIGHT before crossing the street.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

P.S.  The Germans genuinely do think we're both superficial and stupid.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Compared to the Germans, isn't everyone superficial and stupid?

I completely agree pluto77!!  More privacy would be nice!  And, just my opinion, but bidets should be a thing here too, though I prefer the Japanese version lol

It's interesting, though others seem to cast Americans as barbaric, for the most part, at least we understand how to stand in lines.  IMO, our sales tax should be included in prices and, boy should we get rid of the penny! 

LOL love your UK tip!  To add on to the France one, I tried speaking French and boy, that made things harder.  So if you aren't so great with French, I recommend speaking english but, like you said, use proper greetings.  it does go a long way! 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I lot depends on where you visit . Going to Manhattan  vs San Francisco, LA , Orlando or many other places you will different reactions. I have traveled through I lot of France and found the people just as different.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

AAwww, c'mon folks, kharada46 asked if there were any other tips you'd give to us visiting foreigners. pluto77 made a couple of suggestions. Any others?

I'm visiting the Adirondacks, New York, DC and (stop-off) DuBois. I'm particularly looking forward to keeping 2 feet between myself and everyone else in Manhattan! Any other tips pertainng to those destinations?

Right you are brightlybob!

So... I've dug up some advice from some fellow Britts

CBS 60 Minutes Extra: Top Gear in Alabama - YouTube

But in all seriousness, come on people.  Let's help brightlybob out!  Or at least give some tips for visiting your home towns.  What do you say pluto77, jerryl, IAHFLYR, ks77, bpelican, and anyone else I might have forgotten!  I'll start:

When visiting Hawaii, don't call us all Hawaiians.  Hawaiians are an ethnic group and a minority at that.  Sovereignty is a very contentious issue here that exasperates the political sensitivity seen elsewhere in the Nation.

Hawaiian Time is a real thing.  The pace of life here is very different than elsewhere, especially when compared to places like NYC.  The difference is even more pronounced when you travel to any other island than Oahu.  And while we lead a more laid-back lifestyle, do be mindful that life is hard here and many people do work 2-3 jobs just to scrape out a living, so don't mind us Honolulu residents being in a big hurry (comparatively speaking).  And yes, Honolulu is a big city, don't assume otherwise.  We have all the modern amenities of a big city in the Lower 48, and share many of the same problems (just maybe not as bad?)

Hawaii is an expensive place to live, so businesses often give Kama'aina discounts.  Many think it's unfair to give residents a different price, but is it really any different than Disney giving CA and FL residents special pricing?  Like at the Disney Parks, local special pricing is meant to help businesses attract local clientele, helping them to weather slower times of the year. 

People are pretty friendly in Hawaii, but we aren't without our bad apples, so don't let your guard completely down.  Say thank you when people let you go in traffic and please don't cut people off when driving.  Use your horn only when warranted; people in Hawaii don't really use their horn unless you give us a reason to. 

Traffic is a huge problem on Oahu, try to plan your day around avoiding peak traffic hours.  In the morning about 5:30/6 to 8:30/9am sees traffic going West to East, and reverses beginning around 3pm thru about 7pm.  Going to the Paradise Cove Luau?  Head out to Ko Olina early and hangout in the resort to avoid the traffic.  Some areas, particularly in Pearl City & Aiea sees perpetual traffic now thanks to construction on our new light rail system. 

Do eat local food.  You travelled all this way... experience everything we have to offer!  Don't eat at chain restaurants at home!  The best way to experience the different cultures of our great state is through our food.  And don't sit at the hotel pool all day... I understand the desire to just relax, so maybe do that for part of your vacation, but for the other part, get out and explore.  Depending on the island you're on, you can go snowboarding and surfing all in one day!  Hawaii has a great many things to offer. 

We may be one of the smallest and the last state to join the Union (contentious topic), but that doesn't mean we don't have a lot to experience!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Yeah if you honk your horn in Maui you will get the stink face. Not that I am guilty of that (I know that sounds hard to believe) but I was told by a local that is the case. Horns are only used for an emergency and not like in the Caribbean where little beeps are used as a greeting to every person you know.

You sure you don't know that from personal experience ks77??

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Usually it would be a slam dunk yes...but that is actually one of the things I don't do on Maui. I could have the biggest knucklehead in front of me and I just say to myself...hey I'm on Maui on vacation, where else on Earth would I rather be? That instantly makes me calm. But yes, here in NJ I use my horn almost daily.

Haha, it's ok ks77.  I typically try not to honk my horn, but at least on Oahu, people are getting worst and worst at driving.  I have so many close calls or people just acting dumb that I do end up using my horn quite often.  Neighbor islands I wouldn't, but Oahu is another story! 

Though be careful!  Yesterday we had a horrific traffic problem that turned a 1.5 hour commute from Honolulu to West Oahu into 3.5 hours!  It took me 1.5 hours to travel what typically takes me 20-30 minutes.  But anyway, a moped was driving between cars and really cutoff the guy in front of me and they got into a hand gesture and shouting match.  I was expecting a fight, but it didn't get there.  Have seen it happen before though!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That's crazy. Travel shows and articles online always have those "top 10 worst commutes/traffic cities" pieces. Honolulu is ALWAYS on the list because its awful. I know from experience that NYC, Washington D.C. and Honolulu are all bad. The only upside to Honolulu is that the beach and views are right there!

ndn Platinum

My experience from driving in China is that speed is measured in honks per block.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

be respectful and if possible at least try to speak a few words of English. Generally people like to help someone who is respectful and wanting help. I have many times went up to someone with a map and asked if they need any help. I remember one time in Seoul with my son at world cup and getting off the subway with four exits all marked in Korean and having no idea which one to take. I asked a young woman which one to the arts district she took us up and all the way to where we wanted to go.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...