28 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2015 8:45 AM by boldie24 RSS

Why no promos in May?

jl3549 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am making several reservations and also trying to max out rewards points.  Going back through my promo history, I've never received any of the targeted promos during May - is this the same for everyone and if so, why?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why no promos in May?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

One year there was a promo that began in the middle of May and ran through the summer, but you are right, normally there is no promotions in May. We've come to expect one beginning June 1. It's a pretty safe bet that this year will be the same. This site is a good source of news on the subject, so stay tuned.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vickisocal Platinum

I've complied all the dates back to 2009 and they are on FT

The "summer bonus" which has gone by various names have run:

June 1, 2009 through August 31, 2009-  - maximum offer was 25K points for 20 nights

June 1, 2010 through August 31, 2010-  - maximum offer was 40K points for 25 nights

June 1, 2011 through August 31, 2011-  - maximum offer was 40K points for 25 nights

June 1, 2012 through August 31, 2012-  - maximum offer was 40K points for 25 nights

May 15, 2013 through September 2, 2013- maximum offer was 55K points for 30 nights

June 1, 2014 through August 31, 2014 - maximum offer was 45K points for 25 nights

jl3549 Platinum

I really wish they would have some sort of promo in May, it's costing them at least 3-4 stays from me....going cheaper route.

dbmbonthego Platinum 4 Reviews

It is now May 2 . . . has anyone received a promotion for May?

No, and odds are that no one will.

Expect to hear something about a summer promotion beginning June 1 within the next couple weeks. History shows (see vickisocal's post above) that the normal summer promo period is June 1 thru August 31. It's reasonable to think this year will be no different. As for what the offers will look like, that's anybody's guess.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi all, I checked with our team to see if they could share any insight into summer promotions. They informed me that there currently are no plans for a summer promotion in place. I'll let you know if I get any updates around this!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

That is odd and unfortunate. I can already foresee the outrage of people in the near future. summer would be my time to actually make the bonus as all stays are leaseure

jl3549 Platinum

I'm not gonna "shoot the messenger" but this is very unfortunate and will lead to Marriott no longer being my preference, but just who has the best rates.  I've already commited several thousand dollars in travel towards trips with Marriott stays for the summer, so there probably won't be an immediate loss of business due to it being too late with other hotels since now their rates have increased as well.  I had assumed (as ALWAYS) there would be a promo where the additional cost would be justified because of the promos and my points as a platinum member to get free stays for the winter. 

I don't travel much for business so nearly all of my stays come directly from my pocket. 

I will be very disapointed and an unhappy customer if this turns out to be the case.

vickisocal Platinum

Not outraged, but no longer motivated to stay at Marriott for summer vacation.... will shop around a bit.

I hope that there is a summer promo. My travels will be minimal, so I wouldn't miss out much if there isn't one. The idea of taking away something that has become relatively reliable will certainly cause considerable anguish on this site if it turns out to be true.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Just FYI lindseyh, your post has been used as a source on a blog post.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm sure the other chains will be glad to hear it, as Marriott elites switch the stays they would have given to Marriott to the other chains that are running promos.

Cheers.

paddyscherrer Platinum

Whatever the strategy for Marriott is: People start planning vacation now for the summer month, and knowing a promo is upcoming is a very important part of the planning, esp. if it involves multiple stays. IHG has its promotion out since days (not a brilliant one, but better than nothing). So soon it is going to be best rates and best promo values. Like we say here: "Other moms also have beautiful daughters"

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

they have always done one ( at least for many years) and would be surprised for them to not do one. maybe a non denial denial

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

NO-one has actually answered OPs question about why there's no May megabonus promo. So I'll try.

Marriott runs two megabonus promotions each year. One in the fall, from mid September to mid January and a second for Spring, from beginning February to end April. although the recession emerged in spring 2008, it only started effecting non-bankers bottom lines in 2009, and that year Marriott did a special May promo, double nights credit and a summer bonus from June to August,  being a slightly less highly paying version of the Fall and Spring megabonuses. This summer bonus has since 2009 emerged every year, in a variety of different names.

I can't remember any major summer promos before 2009 and so I'm guessing the lack of a summer promo now is because Marriott feels that the economic recovery means it doesn't need to chase summer trade. Neither HH nor SPG have any large summer promos, and IHG has launched a distinctly lukewarm summer offer, in my case stay 12 IHG nights, get 10k points. Not inspiring but it seems the only game in town for a bonus on paid summer stays.

SO why none in May? I suspect that Marriott doesn't want us to expect that there will be big extra bonuses on all our stays, hence the traditional summer gap until 2009 which the response to the financial crisis led to the closure of much of that summer gap from May to Aug to being a gap in May only.

thanks Bob I guess my memory of pre 2009 wasn't as good.

paddyscherrer Platinum

My wait is over. As much as I prefer Marriott over the other brands I have now booked my 2 weeks vacation on IHG (leftover pointbreaks and non-chain 4 days Paris - woho-  I am from germany and Paris is a 5h drive so a cheap solution) I still might change my plans later on, but my framework is set. Another chapter in the book of lost opportunities, esp. as Paris has some quite acceptable Courtyards on weekend pricing.

I'm in Canada/USA for 27 nights in July/Aug on a family roadtrip, redeeming a total of 42 room-nights, 25 (over 6 hotels) at Marriotts and 17 (over 3 hotels) at IHG, redeeming a total of 1-mill points, and I must admit I was labouring at the back of my mind about switching a few to paid stays to take advantage of a summer promo. Now this would be madness as over the last 5 years Marriott has been out of promo only about 60 nights. Effectively being in promo is the new norm! I have to burn the points sometime, otherwise I'll find I'm 90 and those 1mill points won't buy a weekend in Fresno. Nonetheless, to my point, this lack of any promo does mean it's a great summer to redeem! Burn baby, burn (points that is!)

paddyscherrer Platinum

You´re right. Burn baby, burn, this is the right approach. I will do a 6 week road trip to the US in August/September and right now my booking are fully in Marriott and IHG (sorry!) points. I plan to burn 350K Marriott and 300K IHG points. Get rid of it before it further devaluates.

Wow, how interesting. Where are your travels taking you, Paddy?

I'm visiting the in-laws in Oakville ON. Sister in law is putting up our 3 teens for the first 4 nights and me and missus are redeeming at Oakville Holiday Inn. Then it's off with her teen and our 3 on the Roadtrip to Ottawa for 2 nights at the Marriott, Ausable cabins (independent) for 2 nights, Albany CY for a 1-night stop-off then to NYC Marriott Marquis for 3 nights. After that it's a drive to DC at the White House Holiday Inn (kids want the rooftop pool) for 2 nights then over to Niagara at the Marriott Fallsview for another 2 nights (stopping off en-route at FFI DuBois). After dropping the kids off in Oakville me and missus then go on for a visit to her teenage home-city of Montreal staying at the downtown Holiday Inn for 3 nights before returning to Oakville for a final week with the in-laws, staying at the FFI there. All told 550k MR and 400k IHG points burned redeeming at over $10,000! It's a worthwhile game, this!

And after all that I'll be glad to get back to work for a nice rest!

paddyscherrer Platinum

I am going to do a "boring" 6 week trip to the other side of the US. 2 weeks from Seattle to Oakland, but not along the sea, but back-country along the cascade range (Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Hood, Crater Lake NP, Lsssen Vulcanic NP, SFO.) Then 2 weeks at the Marriott Waikoloa on Big island Hawaii. The with a San Jose stoppover to Salt Lake City and then via Yellowstone to Denver. 

army06 Platinum

What a bummer!! As an elite member like many of us are, I would travel out of my way to stay at marriott properties because I thought that Marriott appreciated our 100 plus night stays per year, Guess I was wrong! No problem Marriott, you will have quite a few less stays from me this year....Hilton here I come. Might as well work on getting on the Top of their promotion status with them and give myself more options. Please send me your survey this year for the Freddie awards, lets see how many awards you get this year. Very, Very, disappointed Marriott. 1,150 lifetime stays, over 200K dollars spent.....Wow.

frequenttraveler58 Platinum 1 Reviews

Here it is towards the end of June and still no Summer Megabonus bonus points program. It has cost Marriott as I have opted to stay at Hilton properties since they do have some additional reward points for me. Cancelled several stays already and will cancel all for July as well. I have a choice and choose to to go where the points are! LOL!

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

I'm still loyal despite the lack of "extra" points, mainly because I get 5 points per mile spent with the credit card, on top of the regular points they always offer.  You still build points that can be converted into travel packages and reward stays, even if there's no extra special points promo.  To be honest, those that will jump to Hilton make the concierge lounges a little less crowded for the true loyalists!

Great reply, tomd68. Those are my thoughts exactly. My travel plans haven't changed at all due to the lack of a promotion.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

It actually gave me a chance to redeem some rewards instead of trying to hit some bonus to earn more.

I think of the 5 stays I have in the next 6 weeks I'm using points for 2 of them.

I probably will end up moving one stay to Hilton, not for lack of a bonus so much of lack of a Gov rate at the Anaheim Fairfield Inn. The Gov rate at the Hilton makes it about 2/3rds the price.

Well will all anticipate  the fall promotions when it is announced. the lack of summer promotions hasnt really affected my stays.

boldie24 Platinum 1 Reviews

While I agree at this point that my travel plans have not changed (Marriott vs. another brand), the lack of a summer promotion is just another indication, to me, of the lack of respect/value that Marriott has for it's premier members.

Tomd68 - Make room in the lounges for true loyalists?  Really?  Through a combination of the United Airlines partnership and lack of enforcement of concierge lounge access rules, the experience is, IMHO, almost unbearable.

As a lifetime PP member, I am constantly being pushed in terms of my loyalty.  I am trying hard to stay due to my positive experiences but more and more I am challenged.....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...