15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2015 9:25 PM by kharada46 RSS

How to Avoid Being Scammed

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I saw a link to an interesting article in the View From the Wing blog on Boardingarea talking about how to avoid being taxi scammed, and if you think you are being scammed, what to do.  how to avoid being taxi scammed.  And here's a particularly unusual situation from One Mile at a Time:  My mom got robbed in our hotel

This got me thinking, what experiences do you have with being scammed and/or tips to prevent from being scammed.  I know jerrycoin and profchiara shared some great pieces of advice with me prior to going to Europe.  I know IAHFLYR and pluto77 must have some great tips!

• Re: How to Avoid Being Scammed
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great thread to start, kharada46! Always good to be in the know when it comes to local scams while traveling. I look forward to hearing the advice others have to share!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I'm hoping we can all get some great advice on this thread lindseyh

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

As far as hotels, I try to keep my room key on me at all times, (don't leave it unattended at breakfast, at the pool, etc..) and never say my room number when in a public area. For example, when traveling with friends/family and we are at breakfast and someone says hey what room are you in? I'll usually walk over and give them the number quietly I won't yell it in a room where a dozen people can overhear me. I also often leave the tv on when I leave my room for dinner or when I'll be away from the room for more than a few minutes. Most thieves aren't going to enter an occupied room to try and steal stuff, plus my valuables are either on my person or in the safe, and I don't leave money laying around either. Housekeeping is usually good but you always have bad apples out there, no reason to have an issue and simply using the in room safe can really go a long way.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Very good tips, ks77.  I am a retired Deputy Sheriff and always bring one of my old duty shirts with me to prominently display over my suitcase for Housekeepings benefit.  Leaving the TV on is an excellent practice, recognizing the Housekeeping has the "keys to your kingdom" so to speak.  It's not only Housekeeping you have to worry about.  It's the friends/relatives of Housekeeping who may have access to your room when you are not there.  Again, excellent tips in your post, and stay safe and secure while traveling.

Ah, leaving the TV on.  That's a great one ks77!  I ought to do that next time.  Actually, I usually put out the do not disturb sign when I'm away, though the added noise would help even more!

Great subject and post, kharada46

annew20 Silver

On a trip from Las Vegas we took a taxi to the LV airport.  With traffic at the airport, it was quite rushed.  The driver took our luggage out of the trunk & set it on the curb as my husband paid the fare.  As soon as the taxi drove off, my husband realized his laptop bag was not on the curb!  For some reason my husband usually has his laptop with him  inside the taxi, but maybe in a rush, it was packed in the trunk.  Take note to count the number of bags you have before you get in the taxi & count again before the driver drives off, & don't be rushed.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

another scam with taxis is taking you the long way around if you don't know where you re going

That's a great rule annew20!  When traveling, I, like your husband, always have my laptop and/or camera bag on me.  Though sometimes that isn't practical.  A device like this might be worth getting: hipKey™ - ALWAYS BY YOUR SIDE

Or if you want something that's multipurpose, there's this thing which I do own:  Smart Camera Remote | iPhone your Camera.  It's primarily a time lapse remote control device for your DSLR, but it's also a selfie remote, a proximity sensor, and a weather station! 

Well this "scam" is a new low... Citing drivers in rental cars with the sole purpose of generating revenue for the government?  http://threadtripping.boardingarea.com/2015/03/he-got-a-real-pretty-rental-car-aint-he/

The above article has some recommendations on how to handle such a situation and some surprising outcomes.  As a former law enforcement official, I'd love to get your feedback on this one bpelican

Interesting post kharada46.  Here's the deal.  I doubt the initial stop would be singling out rental cars (e.g., when you're shooting radar, you cannot really tell it's a rental car until you actually make the stop).  However, after the stop, if you're in a rental car, you probably have less of a chance to talk your way out of it.  That is, the Officer, whether consciously or not, is apt to be more receptive to local drivers than rental car or for that matter any out-of-state drivers.  So I do not think rental drivers are really being singled out and agree with you that it would be "a new low" if that were the case.

That's an excellent point you make bpelican. I would imagine that's an incredibly common practice here in Hawaii.  Though I can only imagine that what the article talks about does happen here too, especially since the Honolulu Police Department recently adopted a policy mandating that officers issue xx number of citations an hour. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...