30 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2015 10:26 PM by zunilily46 RSS

How does Marriott determine who gets to review a hotel?

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have only received 1 review request out of the last 6 Marriott properties we have stayed in.  I would have liked to review all 6 of them.  I know this site was overwhelmed with reviews, but if 1 out of 6 is the average for Insiders (as well as non-Insiders) to receive review requests, I don't think we will get the full impact of what guests think.  I do like only having to read reviews for properties I am considering.

Do you know how Marriott determines who will get a survey?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Worldwide
  • Re: How does Marriott determine who gets to review a hotel?
    phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I just returned from a stay that included 6 Marriott properties.  I received 1 review request.

My suggestions are:

1.     People who stay multiple nights should automatically get the chance to review the property.

2.     Elites, should always get the opportunity to review the property.

3.     Other guests, should be selected at random to review hotels.

One stay out of six does not give us a reasonable cross section of guests, especially if the hotel is choosing the reviewers.  I would expect them to be certain that those who had complaints during their stay would not be asked.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I just returned from 5 nights at the brand new Rehoboth Beach, DE FI and did not get a chance to review this hotel, so I have now received one review request for my review for our last 7 stays.  Clearly, this change by Marriott makes "Insiders" a bit less helpful.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey razorbackfan, that's a great question. I'm going to reach out to our team to get clarity on how Marriott's distribution of surveys is determined.

CariJ, thanks for the clarification.  Is there any way to find out how many guests per night (or stay) are chosen to review the property?

Hey razorbackfan, our team confirmed that the Guest Satisfaction Surveys (GSS) system does not favor who receives the survey: it randomly selects guests to ensure that Marriott gets a good cross-section of customers, ranging by Rewards level, demographics, brand, location, etc. Our team doesn't have any information on how many guests are chosen to review properties per night or stay.

I hope this provides you with a little more clarity.

Thanks, CariJ.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

CariJ,

I really hate to stir the pot, but that response from "our team" is really weak.  With as many different demographics, Elite levels, brand, location and more who are on Insiders and few have had any offerings of a review it appears to me this is still an unanswered question. 

While I have far less night this year than many other Insiders as well as last year I still wait for a review I get a chance to provide that actually gets posted on the Marriott site.  Not only are the GSS few and far between for those of us here on Insiders, the actual number of GSS that are given and posted on the hotel sites is even less.  I remember californian mentioning that some of her reviews never showed up on the hotel site and that is really sad if correct, almost like a filter inside a filter.

I hear you, IAHFLYR. And I appreciate the persistence   Sorry to say, I simply don't have any additional information from the GSS team on how the surveys are distributed.

I can provide one more tidbit of information. If a member has opted out from receiving certain communications from Marriott in the past, it will affect whether a GSS is received. In other words, a member could have opted out 10 years ago and forgotten about it, and they would still be excluded.

This is a great thread and poses some good questions. I really appreciate the constructive feedback from everyone in this forum, and will certainly be passing this conversation on to the greater team for review.

frequentstaymarriott Platinum 3 Reviews

I can add support to the feeling that filters are indeed being used in the review process.  The property I stay at a dozen times a year has never posted my reviews even though I have responded several times to their review requests.

All were highly complimentary of staff, but usually pointed out maintenance or infrastructure problems (it's a very old property).

This nearly always booked-up property has not posted a review for THREE months!  I sent in a not-so-complementary review a month ago dressing several problems and was promised a reply by the GM--never happened, nor was the review posted.

This property's web site has an overwhelmingly positive number of reviews--now I know why.  Edit, censor, delete. The review process appears to be a sham, at least at certain places.

cwilliams313 Platinum

It would at least be helpful to have reviews that Rewards members can see.  I have stayed at many hotels (lifetime)and really rely on comments people make to help me choose where I stay to make my business trips a little easier.  I have been disappointed when I get to a place that if someone has indicated in a review I might not have stayed there.  Or I might have adjusted my expectations.  I would in most cases stayed at a Marriott property, just not that one.  I think Marriott is doing a disservice to the loyal customers by not providing this.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

The reviews have gone from none to many to who does get to review.  I still think that we should have been able to keep our reviews on MIs.  They had just got to the useful point.  I have looked at the Marriott ones and decided that it is easier to use Tripadvisor.

cwilliams313 Platinum

I just returned from a trip and would like to provide a review so Marriott Elite members are not as shocked as I was when I got to the hotel.  I wished I had a little more warning on what to expect at that property.  So, if you aren't chosen to have a survey, then there is not a way to write a review, correct?

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I don't know. This year I spent 2 weeks at the Key Bridge Marriott, 5 nights at the Budapest Marriott, and 1 at the Renaissance Imperial Riding School in Vienna. I only received a request to review the last one. Maybe they prefer reviews on short stays? Or, maybe it's just random.

Hey razorbackfan, our team confirmed that guests are selected for surveys at random. Hope this clears the mystery behind the survey distribution method!

Let me check, razorbackfan. Stay tuned!

I would agree with phctourist that any Elite members be given the "random" review as Elite members at least have some history of previous stays with Marriott.  Along with the Elite reviews then they can use the actual "random" selection process.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Of my 10 stays this year, I have received only one review request. Naturally, I filled it out since there is no way of knowing when the next one might arrive.

I did notice that when looking at reviews, one can sort by the elite level of the reviews, so if you only want to see what Platinum and Gold elites say, that can be done. Granted, it is still only a random selction of such guests.

Random may be the best selection criteria. I can imagine folks with complaints would want to express their opinions more than those with average to good experiences. Randomness should level this out, so if a lot of negative (or outstanding) reviews appear, chances are many others had similar experiences.

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

Randomness came my way after a stay last weekend…the first survey invite I have received this year.  I completed it, but felt even as I was, that I wasn't offering much helpful insight.  I will look @ the format of the survey more closely when I get another one, but I wondered if anyone else had thoughts about the structure of the survey.  Maybe it is the same survey it has always been, but it felt choppy and awkward ( probably just me).

Just a note, the hotels I've stayed @ this year have between 45 & 141 reviews, ranging from 7, 2014 to present.  Trip Advisor reviews on the same hotels are double & triple the number, but go back as far as 2010.  If I am considering a property I have never stayed @ I enjoy reading reviews from any time period, but realistically Marriott's timeframe is probably more relevant. 

Thoughts?

zunilily46 Platinum

Interesting. We keep wanting to write reviews as we do on Trip Advisor for a number of restaurants and less so on hotels. Over the past 45 days we have had 8 different Marriott stays for a total of 19 evenings and received only 1 request for a review. It was on the first stay of a 30 day trip and when we returned to the states it was too late to complete. Maybe Marriott should look at the individuals that are chosen to receive a request for a review to see if they are currently traveling and might not want to take the time to review while traveling. Just my thoughts. Comments/reviews from committed/loyal Marriott travelers like to say nice things even though we have a tendency to be honest and we seem to trust each others comments.

The bottom line of this thread seems to be that NOBODY likes this change!  I think that Marriott should rethink this decision and give everybody the chance to review any property where they have stayed!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely correct, so bring them back Marriott and don't allow them to overrun the "Big Board" like they used to run.

And if someone opted out that should not have any impact on future opportunities to be offered a review.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

I heard it from a birdy that IF we appear to be discerning we are not the "type" properties want surveyed(oops there is no email address on file). The greater our travel/hotel experiences the greater our ability to discern real sugar from ****.  

ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

Id like to know how to review a hotel too.This is something that is Missing in a huge way here and impacts my ability to choose a hotel based on others reviews.

rb84 Platinum

My experience is that since becoming Platinum I have not received a survey request. I used to receive them frequently.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm up to 1400 nights soon. I have been asked to provide a review maybe twice?

The more that I read about this subject, the more disgusted I become.  In the fall I stayed at about 6 Marriott properties on a trip to Georgia and SC.  Two hotels, Savannah Riverfront Marriott were outstanding and one < Charleston Marriott, seriously disappointed.

I was able to review all three hotels.  Under the current system I would probably not have been able to pass on any of these experiences.

Marriott's new hotel review policy really stinks!  If Marriott is trying to make it's hotels less appealing, then it will succeed.  If someone thinks that this policy will generate more stays, I believe they are mistaken!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Here's a new twist on this subject: We recently completed a 6-night stay at the SHS New Bern, NC. The day we got home, I received an email from the hotel with this message: "We would be appreciative if you take a moment and review us on TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site, helping millions of visitors every month plan the perfect trip. Our guests often tell us how helpful it is to read past guests' reviews before booking their own visits."

I have since received an invitation to write a review on the Marriott website, which I did, but it has yet to be posted. I gotta say, though, I enjoyed the convenience of having both discussions and reviews from screen names I recognized and trusted on the MRI website.

cwilliams313 Platinum

Here's an ironic twist.......I sent a concerned email to Marriott.com as I couldn't write a review on the hotel.  I was told my note was being sent to the hotel executives and to expect an answer in 3-5 days even it was sent more for the Marriott team as I would hope the executive team at a Cat 7 hotel knows the state of their hotel.  The next email that came in was a survey on the Customer Service quality of Resolving my email.  I laughed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...