26 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2015 1:42 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Extreme disappointment in Marriott’s policy change for TVL stay and points credit

altamia Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I cannot even begin to effectively express my disappointment in Marriott’s recent decision to no longer issue points and stay credit for the TVL rate. I have been a loyal Marriott member since my first corporate job and have never strayed in 20 years. Even when my employer’s preferred corporate hotel is another major chain, as is currently the case, I still go out of the way for exception permission and stay with Marriott even at the higher cost the TVL rate often results in. In the past year four of my work colleagues who were highest tier at that competitor’s chain were willing to join me for a few stays and transitioned to eventually become Marriott Platinum after seeing what a great product Marriott has to offer. They all came over full board to include signing up for Marriott Signature Credit Cards as well. They have now since left Marriott as of this year with the policy change and returned to their former loyalty program where they feel more appreciated. Seems like a great opportunity lost by Marriott and is embarrassing to be the one who suggested they follow to have such an ending.

The TVL rate is often higher than many corporate rates and is quite limited based on hotel occupancy which appears to benefit Marriott in its application. For so many travel industry members who rave about the variety of Marriott properties around the world, the great rewards promotions, and exceptional service received this recent policy change is a slap in the face to all we have done to promote Marriott’s product. When I called MR just after this change took place I was informed and spoken to regarding this update in a demeaning fashion and made to feel quite the opposite of a loyal elite member for so many years. One would hope that my experience with that MR CS agent was a one-off related to the stress they must be enduring having to inform so many Platinum, Premier Platinum, and lifetime status members who inquire on this subject that Marriott has seemingly turned their back on so many years of loyalty. Is the cost of losing so many travel industry experts who positively advertise a great product and their experiences worth it? In a crowd of business executives who does one listen to in a conversation on a topic such as this? The occasional traveler or the experienced SME(subject matter expert) in the field? I sincerely hope that Marriott takes into account all who have expressed their disappointment with this policy change and reverses their position on this subject.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Extreme disappointment in Marriott’s policy change for TVL stay and points credit
    ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

I wrote to Marriott about this exact subject a few weeks ago..They wrote me back and informed that TVL code DOES earn points and night credit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Extreme disappointment in Marriott’s policy change for TVL stay and points credit
      altamia Platinum

Last week both myself and the General Manager of the property I was staying at called MR separately and were informed that the policy has changed. This was confirmed by a recent stay not posting credit and verbally by both of our inquiries. This happened to several work colleagues as well in the past month and all have called in to receive the same answer as posted. Seems that Marriott teams have been slow to be informed on their end on this update.

joshm Member

Thank you the thoughtful and very detailed post, altamia. Additionally, welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insiders forum.

Like the perspective you have taken the time to share here, the Insiders site is a great resource to spread information and share thoughts on varying topics regarding travel and Marriott Rewards. From recommendations and destination insights to photography and general conversation, the Insiders network is an awesome place to engage in constructive conversation about all things Rewards.

Being new to the page, I encourage you to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips and tricks to optimize your Insiders experience. Also, don't hesitate to reach out to me (joshm), lindseyh, or CariJ with any questions or concerns you have about the site or anything Rewards. We make up the community management team for the forum!

Regarding your post, I'm happy to get this to our team. This has been a hot topic recently and perspectives like yours are important to share with the greater team.

Again, welcome to the forum.

markzz2 Platinum 1 Reviews

Posted from another thread about the same subject

Well I got my response from Marriott and as I asked in my e mail for permission to post, here it is guys! What seems like cut and paste response that contradicts what I have been told so many times and that also contradicts the terms and conditions (which hopefully they will now change as fast I am cancelling my future bookings). It will mean I will no longer choose Marriott out of loyalty, I will now choose my hotels through convenience and by benefits, whereas for 23 years I have always chosen Marriott first just because it is Marriott. It will also influence me when I pay the full rate, so Marriott will lose out. But they seem to not be too bothered about that. Strange that for 23 years they have apparently been making mistakes by crediting for this rate anyway so it has taken a long time to fix. My question why certain cheaper rates do get benefits was sadly ignored.

"Thank you for writing in regards to your concerns about a particular travel rate. I do understand your frustration with this new information, and I am happy to provide you with additional information. It is correct that the travel industry rate is a wholesale rate that does not qualify for earnings. Travel industry rates are wholesale rates which do not qualify for any Marriott Rewards earnings, including points, airline credit, and Elite nights. This has actually always been the case; however, until recently, most of our hotels have allowed earnings for this specific rate to post. I apologize that this is no longer the situation. Each time credit for this rate has posted, it has actually posted in error. As the error is in the favor of our members, we do not remove the credit unless we must in order to complete a transaction; however, I apologize that we are unable to manually post credit for these stays. Thank you so much for being one of our Platinum Lifetime Elite members. We appreciate the loyalty and business that you give to us over the 23 years of your membership. I hope that you will be staying with us again soon. Best Wishes, Chad Sharpe ICS Agent Lead Marriott Rewards Guest Services"

greg_woods Platinum 61 Reviews

I agree and am not happy with other changes in reward policy.  Tinkering with what was THE differentiator between Marriott and the alternatives may prove to be penny wise and very pound foolish.

KenFlytoJW Gold 7 Reviews

I too Use the TVL rate code... I've been gold for the last few years after exclusively giving my business to Marriott.

but things will change if they don't give use the points and the nights earned for the TVL rate.  Others get corporate discounts and military discounts.

Why not TVL?

I always promote Marriott to my colleagues but unless there is a change of policy .... I will take my business elsewhere.

Maybe they don't care? who knows...

iphonescott Platinum

I am more then disappointed, I am angry and feel "cheated" over this policy of denial. I do not like expecting something I feel I have earned and then being told I am not going to receive it. This is just another recent disappointment in my participation with Marriott Rewards. Arguing over late check out, upgrades that don't exist, and slow reply's from Guest Services seems to be the new norm. This is just another example of Marriott tripping over dollar bills to pick up pennies.

A recent stay at the JW DC under the TVL rate only resulted in a reduction of about $40 off the $450 rack rate. That is not worth losing the nights stay and points. After waiting 10 days for the stay to appear in my account I sent a Missing Stay Request. As mentioned above I also received a reply that "Wholesale" rates are not eligible for Rewards. Even more irritating was the comment they were doing me as favor buy not reversing points previously earned with the TVL rate.

More frustrating is the way Marriott all sudden implemented this restriction. I work for a major airline. The TVL code appears on our Discount Page. I have emailed our Employee Travel Office to inform them the TVL code results in limited service and needs to be noted as such.

I just responded to the reply I received from Customer Services. So i guess I don't receive my Platinum check in bonus? Can I use the executive lounge? The entire policy is more then "fuzzy". Is it a wholesale rate or a travel industry rate? Be assured without resolution I intend to aggressively promote that Marriott does not want our business unless we pay full price.

semgal71 Platinum 4 Reviews

I have been a professional travel agent for 25+ years.  I am also a member of the "Hotel Excellence" program that Marriott offers, training legit travel agents to sell, sell, sell Marriott brands.  They have a special discount code in addition to the the travel agent rate code (T77).   The Hotel Excellence code is H77.  The result of selling Marriott properties seems to be a distinct lessening of commissions -- and the added bonus of rooms booked for my personal use at MC properties is not valid for either points or nights.  My platinum status is worthless.  Thank you, Marriott, for your support of your partners in the travel industry.  The TVL code is also available -- all three of these are non-producers for any kind of loyalty status.

And while I'm on my rant, CY seems to be one brand that none of my clients (including myself!) enjoy.  Everything at CY is nickle-and-dimed to death.  A few months ago I was offered one small Starbuck's coffee to split with my wife as my Platinum amenity.  Really?  No thank you.  And I actively do not sell CY to my clients.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I don't have a dog in this race, but it seems to have been handled badly by Marriott.

For many years Marriotts T&Cs have stated that Marriott reserves the right to close accounts after 2 years inactivity. In practice it did not. Marriott decided earlier this year to enforce that policy, but gave us all a full years notice of their intent. We may not like the enforcement but it was always policy and we've had good notice.

It seems that TVL has been around for years and although Marriott has always viewd it as a non-qualifying rate has nonetheless credited both nights and points for stays using the rate. Marriott has now decided to enforce the non-qualifying rule and could have given clear notice on the reservation info, just like it's done with points expiry but instead Marriott just lets it be used as it has done for years, and when it comes to crediting the stay calls "HAHA, GOTCHA - Who's sorry now, who's sorry now? - You're not shouting any more" and other assorted football chanting.

Shabby, Marriott.

Very, very shabby...

johnir Gold

I, also, have no dog in this fight.  I use +62 or the AAA rate for booking nights.  However, I am reminded of Chevy Chase in  "Christmas Vacation" when he learns that Mr. Shirley has cut out bonuses.  "We got used to bonuses as part of our pay, and cutting them out without notice is just not fair."  This may be a tightening of the ship and a revenue enhancer, but I think it will be one decision that comes back to haunt the bottom line. Road warriors want their perks, and MRPs are definitely part of their Marriott relationship.  Good luck to corporate.

za855021 Gold

Some Marriott properties does put the TVL rate is not eligible for stay and point, therefore, I know not to book it.

But some properties doesn't put that in the rate rule, I don't get how they won't honor it if they don't put it in the rate rule.

I feel like Marriott should honor the ones they didn't put in rate rules, and start putting them on so people will know when they book.

Here is the example for the ones that put TVL is not eligible,

AC Hotel Los Vascos

Rate Rules

Travel Industry rate, valid ID required, see Rate Rules
      Additional Information

Travel Industry Program - Not eligible for Marriott Rewards
          points or nights
          - Available to active travel agents, wholesale/tour operators,
          incentive company, commercial airline (an airline that is in
          the business of transporting passengers, not packages), and
          Hertz employees, Universal Air Travel Plans, Society of Active
          Travel Writer (SATW) and Midwest Travel Writers Association
          (MWTA) members, and CLIA agents.
          - Limit of 1 room per qualified guest per night.
          - Positive identification is required at check-in. The agency
          name and address must match the reservation, plus another form
          of ID (E.g. drivers license, passport, etc.)
          - Acceptable forms of ID for rate qualification
          - IATAN photo ID card (the preferred ID)
          OR any two of the following
          - Authorization on agency letterhead from a manager,
          calling the travel agency directly for verification
          ARC/IATA listing, business card, SATW/MTWA ID membership
          card, copy of voided wholesaler voucher, employee ID for travel
          industry employees who are not travel agents

alexsc Platinum 1 Reviews

that is correct, they show before the rules, but most cases as my 10 lost nights, without previous warning, rate rules does not mention anything about it.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Correct me if I'm wrong (it happens). Isn't TVL the code for Travel Agents? Travel Agents get a discount. Is everyone in this thread claiming to be a travel agent? Or maybe you're a Travel Agent using your discount to make more money selling rooms to your clients who are not eligible for the discount? If that's the case, are you really complaining because you're using a code you're not eligible to use and claiming a discount you're not eligible to claim and now you're not getting perks for doing that?

I'm confused.

alexsc Platinum 1 Reviews

My guess is if they dont say anything on rate rules, we are entitled to earn the points, i am still fighting for some missing stays if i get no results.... Social media Facebook, trip advisor booking.... No results again.... Court.

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews

MArriott has demonstrated that they could care less about our opinions on this change to policy. I recently wrote to the corporate contact and received the boiler plate response which was the prewritten templat and they completely ignored the associated complaint I had with the treatment regarding our inquiries. It seems that each of us have been threatened that they could've taken points and nights away from us but out of the goodness of their hearts they were going to look the other way. It seems that even if we have status that the opinion of the employees is that we cheated in achieving it. Disappointing because I still EARNED Platinum status without them and will again EARN it this year. The past 12 months there has been a general service shift at Marriott where they don't care about loyalty. In fact they are boldly challenging customers to try someone else. That challenge I will accept.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Correct me if I'm wrong (it happens). Isn't TVL the code for Travel Agents? Travel Agents get a discount. Is everyone in this thread claiming to be a travel agent? Or maybe you're a Travel Agent using your discount to make more money selling rooms to your clients who are not eligible for the discount? If that's the case, are you really complaining because you're using a code you're not eligible to use and claiming a discount you're not eligible to claim and now you're not getting perks for doing that?

I'm confused.

iphonescott Platinum

Mr. Confused:

The 'TVL Corporate Code' is designated for Travel Industry Professionals. I work with a major airline and this code appears in our Discount / Perk Page. Be assured I am not selling rooms. The Rewards Points restriction along with the new Cancellation Policy is just another example of Marriott's change from being customer oriented to profit oriented.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

As I said earlier, I don't have a dog in this race (ie, I'm not in any way associated with the travel trade) so have never used the code, though from Flyertalk I know it exists.

As I understand it the code it pretty generic for those in the travel trade and can be used for leisure, hence pilots and cabin crew can use the code for a Weekend away, as can someone who sells holidays, works for Disney or mans the phone lines at Thomas Cook in Slough. That includes a lot of travel workers who have always in the past got their points form a code they are fully entitled to use.

Now, without notice, and warning, the rate no longer pays out points. Travel workers can still use the code entirely legitimately, but now it doesn't qualify for points. The argument is Marriotts "GOTCHA".

And although it doesn't effect me it effects my view of Marriott.

When I joined Marriott Rewards, the man at the top was a Mr Marriott, and he built up the company on the mantra, "look after the guest, and the guest will look after your business". 2 generations of Mr Marriotts turned a lemonade stand into one of the top hotel corporations in the world. And this is an example of the type of practice I feel the Marriott family would never have countenanced.

markzz2 Platinum 1 Reviews

Totally agree Brightlybob, and I did use the TVL rate.

I have been such a huge Marriott fan in the past and often persuaded friends and family to use them as well as customers on the basis of my loyalty and satisfaction with the brand. I loved it when the Mr Marriotts were in control and they did put the customers first, but sadly like alot of customer service businesses these days the bean counters and the senior staff (who often are just there to improve the look of their own CV - believe me I work for one of those companies and I don't like what I see) improving profit and cost cutting comes first.

As a result Marriott lost me, (not all together as I will still use them when they are cheap, or for my favourite resorts but not without question, and now I do alot more searching for deals and offers).

The sad thing for Marriott is that now I am researching more, and not just staying at Marriott because I am a Marriott loyalist I am finding that actually Hyatt and Hilton brands often treat me better, not to mention  the independents and one off luxury hotels and often save me money as well.

At work, in the airline business and customer facing I often have to recommend hotels to my customers. I would not say that I do not recommend Marriott any more, but they are not top of my list. 

Is that long term business sense, I don't think so but the person that made the decision will not care how it affects the business, right now they are boasting how much money they have saved (short term possibly), by the time this affects the bottom line they will be long gone and doing the same stuff to another company.

semgal71 Platinum 4 Reviews

I am a retired travel agent (IATA#, ID, etc.  I take great offense to being asked if I "sell" travel agent/industry rates to my clients.  Someone is grossly confused.  There is a T77 rate and an H77 rate also available to travel agents that also does not qualify for points/nights.  Marriott says they "love travel agents" --   NOT.  By the way, does anyone know if the AAA rate has also been dropped from a stay qualifying for points?

mm410 Platinum

I only used the T77 rate occasionally, but this change has caused me to move more than 50 nights this year alone away from Marriott.  I was so upset to find a few stays not posted because the rate I used was slightly less than rack.  If I had been notified that the rate wouldn't qualify, I would have stayed elsewhere at better rate.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...