16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2015 10:42 AM by taxman193 RSS

New Orleans Marriott hotels

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone have a recent experience at one or more of the Marriott's in New Orleans? I am heading there for a short trip to meet a buddy. I think I am going to stay at either the JW Marriott or the Renaissance Pere Marquette. The last time I was there, years ago, I stayed at the Renaissance. I hear there is some construction going on outside the Renaissance now.

Anyway, there is about a $30 difference per night if I stay at the JW on the Government rate. I noticed that the JW does is one of the hotels that is excluded from the guaranteed breakfast when the lounge is closed. This should not effect me too much since I will be there Wednesday through Saturday (I know who leaves New Orleans on a Saturday ...) so I think I would just miss out on breakfast on Saturday morning.

Any suggestions on which hotel is better? Any other Marriott's you would stay at in New Orleans?

Thanks .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, LA
  • Re: New Orleans Marriott hotels
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Although a Marriott loyalist, I stayed at Windsor Court Hotel in NOLA in January.  It was fabulous.  Highly recommend in the event you might possibly consider a non-Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Ugh, I LOVE New Orleans! One of my favorite cities. What a great city to meet up with friends! I personally have not stayed in any of the New Orleans Marriott properties, so I'm interested to hear what other Insiders have to share. I can, however, reach out to our team and see if I can get details on the construction that is taking place at the Renaissance property. Maybe it will be completed by the time you get there. Will you be there in April?

clebert I am sure there are some better hotels but have to stick with Marriott..points and nights !

lindseyh I agree, love New Orleans! Have not been there In years so looking forward to it. Heading there May 6th so maybe your right, the construction may be completed by then. That would be great if you can check with your team and see what they say about the construction. I would like to hear from others about which hotel they recommend. I am thinking one of the two, JW Marriott or Renaissance but I know there is a Courtyard there too that looks interesting but no Platinum benefits so probably would be my last choice. The larger Marriott doesn't interest me.

Looking forward to hearing from other insiders about their recommendations. Thanks !

Hey taxman193! Our team checked in with the hotel, and they do not have any specific timing for when the construction will be completed. They did say, however, that the construction is taking place at the front of the building, and is not impacting guests at all. I'll follow up with you if more information becomes available!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

taxman193, our most recent stay in New Orleans was at the FS Marriott that is across the street from the Convention Center.  Their CL serves breakfast every morning including the week-ends.  We prefer the FS property; however, we have recently stayed at the Springhill Suites and Courtyard located in the same area when the rates have been significantly lower.

You can access more information about New Orleans with a new feature that spotlights different cities in the US.  New Orleans was the first city to be highlighted.  You can access the site from the Marriott homepage.  The link says something about getting advice from a local.

Thanks razorbackfan I was not really considering the FS Marriott but I think I will check it out to see what the rates are. The rooms looked small. I will also look for that link. Thanks for the suggestion!

Anyone know what the Platnium benefits are at the JW vs Renaissance. I read some conlficting information but sounds like the Renassiance does not have a lounge but offers breakfast in the restaurant and some vouchers for a free appitozer from the bar? Does that sound right? The JW looks like they have a nice lounge and I am assuming it is open Monday - Friday since I will be there Wednesday - Saturday the only day I would miss out on is Saturday (and Friday night) and I beleive that the JW is on the list of hotels that do not guarantee a breakfast when the lounge is closed so I would just get the 1000 points for Saturday. All this sound correct?

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Good question, taxman193. I've reached out to our team to clarify the Platinum benefits for each property type. Stay tuned!

Thank you so much CariJ ! !!!

If anyone else has suggestions, comments or advice on which hotel, I would appreciate it.

Hey taxman193! Cari and team looked into your questions regarding Platinum benefits at the JW and Renaissance properties. These properties offer the same Platinum benefits, however you are right in the one has a concierge lounge and the other doesn't. The JW Marriott does has a concierge lounge that is open M-F 6:30 - 9:30, but closes at noon on Fridays. Hors d'oeuvres are offered Sun-Thurs 5:30 - 7:30.

The Renaissance New Orleans does not have a concierge lounge, but members receive the same benefits, with complimentary hors d'oeuvres at the bar from 5-8 pm. There is also a small refreshment room that Gold/Platinum members can enter 6:30 - 10:00pm to receive coffee, tea, soft drinks and snacks.

For the continental breakfast and additional details, the team recommends reaching out to the properties directly to learn about your options.  Hope that helps! Please let us know if we can help answer any more questions!

marmelade555 Gold

We stayed at the new AC Marriott recently.  It's fairly new, clean and fresh feeling.  The room was a bit small, but ned slept well.  Some of the older properties in NOLA can sometimes feel "musty".  You might want to check it out.  Good location just across Canal Street from the French Quarter.  I would suggest dinner at the nearby Red Fish Grille.  DON'T stay at The Saint however.  Bad experience in a thousand different ways. 

Thanks @marmalade I will check this hotel out now. Not sure what Platinum benefits you receive at a AC?

marmelade555 Gold

Not sure.  Have you checked the Ritz?  Great location.  We have found some great govt rates there in the past.  One stay was at $99.00 a night.  Incredible  service.

I did but the Ritz does not show up for the Government rate. You must of got lucky. Thanks again!