8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2015 11:28 AM by joshm RSS

United Account Downgrade?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I don't fly United Airlines very often but do appreciate having the Marriott Platinum Benefit of Premier Silver Status with United.  In preparing for a trip to Australia in January I've been doing some research on United's direct flights from LAX to both Sydney and Melbourne.  Yesterday I noticed when I was logged into my United Account that I was listed as a General Member instead of Premier Silver Status.  I spoke with an United Representative on the phone and he said that he sees a pending request already in progress to fix my account status and that it should be updated within the next 2-3 business days.  I was wondering if any other Marriott Platinum members have noticed the same error occurring with their United accounts.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: United Account Downgrade?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I got my new card a  month ago extending silver until feb 2016

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Me too. No problems with Silver status. I have had a few issues dealing with unhelpful customer service reps. Beyond that, there have been no issues with my account.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

United has unhelpful customer service reps?!    During the Asiana crash in 2013, I was at SFO on the plane about to fly back to EWR when it happened. It was a tragedy and had to be handled as such. However, when in the customer service line while simultaneously on the phone with an agent, trying to get rebooked was almost impossible. The circumstances made it difficult to get rebooked but talking to an agent with a thick accent made it just that much more frustrating. Being told on Saturday afternoon that you can't get on a flight until Tuesday is bad enough, struggling to understand the agent on the phone just made a lousy situation even worse. I have to say, even though I like bashing UA, my past experiences on the phone with US Airways agents is even worse.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Makes me appreciate the Marriott Rewards customer service folks even more. I'm always pleased at how helpful they are. I can't recall a bad experience on the phone with MR, though I'm sure it happens once in a while.

joshm Member

Interesting, vaboywnder.

I provided support to a similar issue a couple weeks ago, in which Silver status would disappear and "downgrade" to general membership for no apparent reason.

Not sure why this is happening, but we managed to provide a fix easily enough, and it sounds like your situation is being remedied

I'm curious to hear if this has been happening a lot.

Thanks for the replies.  My MR account did not automatically renew at Platinum this year but I used the Buy Back feature on the same day I was notified to ensure I would not drop down to Gold.  Perhaps this is the reason that my United Account dropped down from Silver Premier to General Membership.  As of this morning I'm still showing as a General Member in United's system.  I will follow up with United again next week if my status has not changed.

Update:

I logged back into my United account this morning and it was still showing General Member so I call United Customer Service again.  The agent then referred me to call a number for the Rewards Plus Desk which is 1-866-316-6173.  The agent I spoke with at the Rewards Plus Desk explained to me there was a system glitch and a large number of Marriott's Platinum Elite Members accidentally fell to General Membership.  She was able to update my account immediately and I'm back to Premier Silver Status.

joshm Member

Wonderful news.

Glad to know the Plus Desk was so helpful!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...