24 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2015 1:56 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Question about using the AAA discount?

cincy324 Member
Currently Being Moderated

I recently booked a hotel stay and used the AAA discount. I booked the hotel in my name but the AAA card is in my fiances name. Do you think I need to change the reservation so that it is in his name? The problem is, I am the one who will be checking in and he doesn't arrive until the following day. Thanks for any help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Question about using the AAA discount?
    ndn Platinum

Book it in her name. Then have her add you to the reservation as a guest. You can check in for both of you. Just say that she is arriving later in the day and you are checking in for both.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Nice answer, ndn. Hey cincy324, I'm double checking with our team on Marriott's policy and will get back to you once I have an answer.

Hey cincy324, our team recommends changing the primary guest name on the reservation to your fiancés name, and adding your name to the reservation as a secondary. This way you will be able to take advantage of the AAA discount and have a smooth check-in. Thanks ndn, your answer was spot on!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I rarely get asked for my AAA card but doesn't hurt to change

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

ANOTHER QUESTION ABOUT AAA

I'm a member of the AA in England. Can I use the AAA rates?

Hey brightlybob, looks like an AA membership is not eligible for the AAA rate. Only members of AAA (American Auto Club) and CAA (Canadian Auto Club) would qualify for the rate.

livesinhotels Platinum

Thank you CariJ for the clarification. Can you confirm if you use CAA or AAA discount will you get your points for the stays?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks for that CariJ, not what I wanted to hear, but at least a clear answer!

theigl Gold

Hi,

I am a member of the german ADAC automobile club, which offers a "AAA" discounts and rewards card for its members. The card lists "AAA Discounts + Rewards Partners" on the backside. Marriott (as well as other hotel chains) is listed there. Just to make sure: Can I use the "AAA" rate, also for Marriott hotels in Germany?

Hey theigl, I'd be happy to clarify that for you. I've passed your question on to our team and will get back to you once I've got an answer.

theigl, our team confirmed that as long as the back of your card states that you are able to utilize the AAA rate, then you will be able to apply the discount to your stay. Hope this helps, and happy travels!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Hey there cincy324 - I hope this all worked out for you...

Glad to see you're using the AAA rates - I'm always surprised that more travelers (and more regular Marriott customers) don't realize that it's a bargain (even if you only use it rarely.  In any event, here's a now-date post on that topic:

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1023

adam1010 Member

I am a teacher and wondering about booking a room online with a discount. Is there information about this? I have read online they offer teacher discounts, but they're not clear. I just don't want any surprises at check in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great question, adam1010.  I'd like to look into teacher discounts for you and will work with our team to provide you with the most current information.

Welcome to the Insiders Community!!  This is a great place to share your travel experiences, recommendations, and even find out more about a destination.  My name is Cara, carat, and I am one of the moderators here along with, deannad, KatieC and lindseyh.  Please feel free to reach out to any of us with questions or comments!!

Looking forward to hearing more from you!!

rebekah.nottingham@gmail.com Platinum

Primary should have AAA card, and my experience as a Life Time Platinum is those great folks Behind the Marriott check-in desk will work with you!

702rugbyref Platinum

I have never had the problem but have often been asked for my AAA or other discount cards.

Platinum 28 Reviews

That is difference between a little meek old man and a Rugby Ref!  I never produce a card showing my age when booking a senior rate and to my best recollection never have been asked to produce my AAA card.

But, I am such an honest looking, kind, humble,  - by the way if you are buying this nonsense I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

Travel safe my friend.

702rugbyref Platinum

I don't buy it....I have one of the best BS detectors on my shoulders :-) However, I am sure you get carded wherever you trot.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi adam1010,

I'm working with carat on this and our team has gotten back to us regarding your inquiry. They have advised that Marriott offers a wide variety of discount rates for senior citizens, government employees, and members of an association, such as AAA. Many of our hotels also offer special weekend rates, "Stay for Breakfast" rates, leisure packages, and advanced purchase rates. Other special rates can be booked by entering a promotional code in the "Corporate/promotional" field when making a reservation. Promotional and discounted rates are based off standard rates and do not vary based on hotel availability. In some cases, hotels may offer a "best available rate" or "weekend rate" that is lower than a promotional or discounted rate due to availability.

You may find the following link helpful in learning more about this: http://www.myeducationdiscount.com/marriott.htm

Each hotel has the opportunity to set their own guidelines concerning who will be allowed to use the Government rates - State and/or Federal - and sometimes educators will be included in this list if they are government employees.

Also, comments from Insiders bejacob and vaboywnder  are correct & offer good insight on the topic:

"In general the rate is for members of the military or federal employees (not contractors). Some properties require that the traveler be on official business, though most do not. Usually an ID is required." [bejacob]

"My advice when booking Govt Rates is to check the Rate Rules at time of booking.  The rules are usually pretty clear as to who is qualified for the rate.  I've noticed sometimes the rules will state that University State employees are excluded or are included.  When in doubt you can always call the property directly so there are no surprises at check in." [vaboywnder]

Hope this clarifies things for you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...