22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2015 8:58 AM by rb84 RSS

Taste of Gold

kpc Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Everyone,

I just received a promo offer "Taste of Gold", Where it says stay 6 times between April 1 and Jun 30-2015 to qualify for Gold through Feb 2017.

My question is what consider a stay? Does it have to be min. 2 nights at the same hotel? sometime I travel from place to place which only stay one night at a location/city. Does it count as a stay?

Hope someone can help me answer the quesiton, Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Taste of Gold
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi kpc! I know that a stay is defined as all consecutive nights in the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. One night would be considered a stay!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

goldcarrotcake Gold

Hi KPC,  I am pursuing this promotion and this is my understanding.  Lindseyh is correct.  To elaborate, if you had 6 nights to stay in a hotel, Marriott owned of course)), and you "stay"ed a single night in each of 6 geographically different Marriott-owned hotels, this would qualify as 6 stays.  I also think that if you ping-ponged between only 2 different Marriott hotels for 6 nights running, this would also qualify another form of 6 exhausting stays.  Your best bet may be to clarify your intentions and goal with a Marriott Membership Customer Care representative via email.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Six 1-night stays would be enough to complete the challenge. What you can't do is check out of a hotel and then check back in for the following night. That will still only count at one stay. Naturally Marriott hopes you will spend more than one night at each property, but that isn't necessary.

Your hypothetical one night stay in a particular location/city would get you 1/6 of the way toward achieving the challenge.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

A Stay is simply 1 night, or 2 or more consecutive nights at the same hotel.

You need to do 6 such stays. Let's say you've got 6 nights in Bristol UK. You could do 6 stays by spending Sunday at the Marriott Royal, Monday at the Marriott City, Tuesday at the Royal, Wednsday at the City, Thursday at the Royal and Friday at the City. Don't forget you have to check in and check out of each hotel after each night. If however you decided to spend all 6 nights at the Marriott Royal, that would only be 1 stay, even if you made 6 seperate bookings there!

gopadres Platinum

I just signed up for the Gold Challenge via customer service yesterday, but I still don't see Gold status in my profile.

I have a couple stays coming up soon and I'd like to make sure they count towards my 6 nights.  Does anyone know how long it usually takes before the challenge appears on your profile?

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

I believe that the Gold challenge does not appear on your account. You will see the status change once you complete the required stays. I'm not 100% sure on this, so I would be happy to pass your information on to our team to double check for you. Just send me your Rewards number in a DM and I will pass it on.

If you called to request the challenge, you will not see Gold status on your account until after you complete the six stays. Keep in mind, it is "stays" not "nights" so multiple nights at the same property will only count as 1 of your 6 stays.

The challenge will be tracked manually by the MR customer service staff. I found it helpful to call as soon as I completed the required stays to have my status updated.

Unfortunately, until you complete the challenge, you will remain Silver. Often when Marriott offers a challenge (rather than having the guest request one) the new status is granted on a temporary basis which you get to keep if you successfully complete the challenge. Since you made the request, you'll have to wait until you finish your 6th stay earn Gold status.

kpc Gold

Thank you all for all the answers and explanation!

ramoneur Platinum

I have understood that staying one night at a Marriott-hotel counts as a stay;

I have to be in Shanghai for 4 nights next week and I have booked:

1) Renaissance

2) Courtyard Puxi

3) Renaissance

4) Courtyard Pudong

...expecting this will be already 4 out of 6 required stays

...in all honesty, I would understand this would be considered to be a bit "lame";

on the other hand: I would never have tried a Courtyard-hotel before, so in a "marketing"-view, I am at least trying some other hotels I would not have tried before;

and hey, I may even like (one of) these Courtyard-hotels :-)

You are right in thinking that your arrangement will count as 4 stays. As for being lame, not at all. You're playing the game to your advantage. At the end of the day when working all you need is a clean room and comfy bed with eating options, either onsite or nearby and it certainly will give you a great opportunity to sample Courtyard, though be warned, I have heard Courtyards are more like FS hotels in Asia and you might find yourself unpleasantly surprised after your Asian stays to see what they're like in the U.S. & EU where the majority are definitely limited service establishments.

ramoneur Platinum

>I have heard Courtyards are more like FS hotels in Asia

I think I see what you mean;

I have just checked in; at first glance this hotel seems to be great (especially for the price!);

I expected something else entirely...

rb84 Platinum

It's not lame at all. remember Marriott awards Gold Status to many United fliers that have never set foot in a Marriott. You're staying in Marriott's and that should be all that counts. Loyalty to Marriott....

ramoneur Platinum

...well, thank you :-)

now I feel a lot better ;-)

when I will check again, some 3 weeks from now, I should have started my 6th stay;

should I pay after 1 day (and then re-check in) to have the 6th stay and give Marriott a call for the upgrade to Gold, or will it take a few days anyway?

Unless your 6th stay is a really long one, I'd just wait until it's complete. Checking out and checking back in to the same hotel on consecutive nights counts as one stay anyway.

Essentially it takes about as long as it would for points to show up (a couple days or so). Once the 6th stay is recorded, call customer service to make sure they upgrade your status. Once they confirm you completed the 6 stays, they'll update your status and you should see it reflected in your account within an hour or two.

Keep us posted.

What bejacob said!!!

ramoneur Platinum

thx for the info

...then I will repeat my "old trick";

I will go to another Marriott hotel for 1 day (for stay #6) - one closer to the airport so it is even useful, and then go to the Renaisssance;

then after I few days I should have received my gold status :-)

Hold on a sec, ramoneur. The thread title indicates you have the taste of gold, which means you have the status already, so it doesn't matter when Marriott finally registers the 6th stay, as long as you made it during the time limit.

Right now you should be getting your room upgrades (in Asia that's a given) and lounge access, again well worth it in Asia with what are widely regarded some of the best lounges worldwide. I wouldn't sweat when Marriott registers that 6th stay, as long as you are on the "Taste"

EDIT: But youre not on the taste, the blob beneath your piccie is silver... So, is the title wrong, and are you really on the "Road to gold" where you have to make the 6 stays and then get gold AFTER... Or the "taste of gold" where you get the status instantly for 2/3 months and need to log the stays to keep it for the year. If you are on the "Taste" then something's gone wrong with your registration as your blob isn't gold...

Message was edited by: brightlybob

You're lawyer side is showing brightlybob.

"Taste of Gold" or "Road to Gold." Tomayto, tomahto.

Typically the "Taste" challenge is assigned by Marriott while the "Road" challenge is what a guest gets by requesting a challenge. In any case, it looks like ramoneur knows what to do to complete the challenge and reach Gold.

OK bejacob.

1. It's "Tom-ah-toh. Not "tom-ay-toh".

2. Road to Gold is where you have 2/3 months to score 6 stays and AFTER completion get Gold for the rest of the year.

3. Taste of Gold is where Marriott gives you Gold status IMMEDIATELY and you have to complete the 6 stays in 2/3 months to keep it for the rest of the year.

4. Not "tom-ay-doh" Not ever. Don't go there!

ramoneur Platinum

...uhm; you're right;

I have created more confusion than needed

I don't have a "taste of gold", but the gold "road to" challenge :-)

sorry for the confusion caused

anyway; I will stick to my plan

Absolutely right, as its road to gold stick to your plan

rb84 Platinum

Once you begin the 6th stay, if its a multi night stay, you can "settle" after your first night and it will speed the process for corporate recognizing your new status. This will not increase the number of stays.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...