45 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2015 4:03 PM by zukracer RSS

What do you take with you to save money at your destination

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In another thread a poster mentioned that she sees people bringing bread with them when they fly to Hawaii because the price of eggs is so high it saves them money. She rightly wondered if there were other things that people do similarly.

Rather than restrict it to carry on, how about I ask:

Is there anything you take with you when you travel in order to save money at your destination?

Food, spices, clothing, toiletries, electronics?

My wife takes shoe orders from her siblings because the price of quality shoes (like Converse) is double in Thailand what it is in the US.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What do you take with you to save money at your destination
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

PG, or Tetley, or Typhoo... (English Breakfast teabags). They cost a fortune outside the UK!

I can't wake up without my morning brew!

Conversely I love Hawaiian shirts, but they just don't sell them bright enough here in the UK, hence they're something I always buy when in the US... And the inspiration behind my MRI handle!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

My wife will take spices and some things like mustard, mayo, ketchup and olive oil with us if we have a kitchen available to cook.  Yes, they are all in the little packets and we just split them up in our liquids for carry-on.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Sitting here (in the LAX Admirals Club   staring at a parked UA Dreamliner) and I can't hardly think of anything... I purchase train tickets online at home prior to the trip to save money instead of buying them the day of at the station... I always travel with a bag of raw almonds to have on hand to tide us over in case we're hungry somewhere and the offerings are overpriced or not good.  All I can think of.

my sis has lived in Australia for about 18 years now, and whenever she and her hubby come to the states, they bring an empty suitcase, because they do a lot of clothes, shoes, etc. shopping here, which saves them a bundle.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

This is a great thread @john_thai thanks for sharing! pluto77 - I always have raw almonds on hand when traveling too, and even not when traveling! I almost always pack granola bars as well for quick snacks or light breakfasts.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

If you enjoy Kona coffee, buy it in Hawaii and fly back with it. The cost online is very expensive, and add the shipping cost, and it makes it ridiculous. Two 7 oz bags are say $20 at an ABC store on Maui. To buy those same two bags online will run $35 and at least another $10-15 shipping. $50 for two bags of coffee? I think not.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

That reminded me of when I worked in Indonesia, on the island of Java, where one might think you could get good coffee. You can't. Nescafe! Yuck! So I told the other members of my project team that I was charging everyone an entry fee when they came to work on my project. Entry fee was one pound of Starbucks ground coffee. Any flavor they liked. Brought in a Mr. Coffee and we would have a pot of fresh coffee all the time.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

ive only taken vodka from here to mexico last summer. Grey Goose and Ciroc. I like fixing myself a drink or two and they are really expensive in mexico or hard to find. ( i went to a rural part of mexico). I may consider taking some French Roast coffee and my french press next time as well, all the stores carry is Nescafe (yuck)

chris0311 Platinum

I don't know if this counts but I bring my own toiletries. I now some people that buy new toiletries every trip. That can be tedious overseas and I find it easy to roll with my own.

Funny I didn't even think about toiletries as that is simply a given in my roll-a-board.  But you are correct it does save money from having to purchase them.  Gee let's hope we all use them as well!!!

I am sooo bummed, Chris.  I sometimes buy these French hair care products from my salon here at home, but not very often because they are expensive (but very good) and since I have long hair, I go through that stuff real quick, probably needing to use about 4 times more than the directions call for.  Anyway, my stylist says, "Hey, you should look for that stuff when you're in France.  Maybe it's cheaper there."  So my first day in France, I stop into la Pharmacie just a few doors down from my hotel, and Voila!  There are the products.  Not only are they cheaper than at home - by a mile - but the euro is almost at parity with the dollar (about two weeks ago) AND whadaya know, they are also on sale, buy one, get one 50% off, PLUS at check out, any purchase over 40 euros gets a 20% discount for that day only.  I mean, how much better can this get, right?  I take my killing of a stash back to the hotel room and get on with my amazing vacay.  2 weeks, 4 hotels and 2 countries later, I'm laying in bed wide awake the night before flying home and wondering how I'm going to fit everything in my suitcase and whether or not I will need to buy another bag, and it hits me.  Where are all of my Phyto products?  Where indeed.  They're gone.  I have no idea if they ever left the first hotel.  I either left them there on accident (though we must've swept the room 3 times before we left) or the maid helped herself?  Dunno.  Anyway, it was a loss.  Don't know how this fits in with the original question, but I guess the moral of this tale is to keep track of your stuff.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Not that I bring it from home but....  I stop at the local grocery store and buy breakfast fruit and cereal bars if breakfast isn't included, wine, water/soft drinks, snacks, etc.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

If the hotel doesn't have a concierge lounge then I will try to bring my own bottled water/drinks as these tend to be very expensive at the hotel.  If it is an extended stay I may also pack some laundry supplies.

chris0311 Platinum

I need to try to do some legwork before I travel and find a Laundromat. I think we can all agree that having laundry done at the hotel is a great way to burn a bunch of money.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

That's really interesting.  I've never heard of people bringing bread to Hawaii!  Granted, the price of just about anything here is quite high, save for things like Kona coffee as ks77 has said. 

As for me, I, like vaboywnder, bring my own bottled water space/weight permitting.  I do also bring all my own toiletries, personal care items like contact solution, etc.  Because it isn't all that common outside of specific areas in the country, I do also bring my own green tea. 

People from Hawaii do like to travel with local snacks as well, to always have a taste of home with them. 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

We took an entire suitcase of nonperishables to the Caribbean because we were staying in timeshares and had a kitchen, and I'm glad we did.  The grocery down the street didn't have some of the items the kids really like such as Cheerios and a particular type of boxed Mac N Cheese.  I would not do this, though, if I had to pay to check bags.  For domestic trips, I usually throw in some tea bags and maybe some coffee.  I have even gone so far as to take a tiny one-cup coffeemaker and ground coffee in my bag to NY to the Grand Hyatt and to the Essex House as neither of those hotels have in-room coffeemakers.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

PS - I've also brought wine in my checked baggage.  I had 3 bottles in a bag once, and AA told me that the limit was 2 bottles, but they let me get by with 3 bottles "just this once" on an outbound flight from MCO.  I don't know if it's their rule, federal law, state law or what. 

Too bad the didn't hold you to the two bottle limit so you could have stood in the baggage check line and drank the entire bottle!!!

I can tell you that the rule with US CBP for bringing alcohol back into the country is two bottles of wine and two bottles of spirits per person, any more and you'll pay customs on it.  Two days ago, I had 5 bottles of wine and one spirit and my mom had zero, and the guy let us through.  He said it just depends on the agent, and he said that while he didn't mind my quantity, had I arrived with a case or more, he'd be sending me to the cashier.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I take a few healthy snacks for the plane, airport lay-overs, and hotel rooms. 

airport1 Gold

I love this! I had to go get a woman's bag after it had been through TSA(I work for Delta) because she had raw honey in her carry on, for her sweet tooth, she said. I love this thread because you really can learn so much from others. I love the idea of checking a bag of non perishable items like cereal and Mac & cheese. And water bottles! Lord knows they can cost who knows what.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

When traveling overseas, I always get at least some local currency before I leave home. It's more about saving time than money, but often I've found that the exchange rate at my local bank is better than what I find at my destination. It might take a day or so for the bank to get the cash, so this just becomes part of my planning the week before a trip.

Sure beats waiting in line a the airport currency exchange and getting whatever rate they feel they can charge., plus there is the peace of mind knowing I can make a small purchase without worrying about how to pay.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

bejacob,

Here is something you may want to consider if you do a lot of foreign travel.  I opened up a Fidelity Cash Management account several years ago just for the purpose of travel.  You don't have to have a brokerage account with Fidelity in order to open this account.  It works just like a checking account but all ATM fees worldwide are reimbursed.  The exchange rate on the card is very good without any additional fees.  So prior to the trip I'll make sure my Fidelity Account has enough desired cash for my trip and then as soon as I arrive at the destination I'll make an ATM withdrawal in the foreign currency.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/fidelity-cash-management-account/overview

westof30 Platinum

bejacob wrote:

When traveling overseas, I always get at least some local currency before I leave home. It's more about saving time than money, but often I've found that the exchange rate at my local bank is better than what I find at my destination. It might take a day or so for the bank to get the cash, so this just becomes part of my planning the week before a trip.

Sure beats waiting in line a the airport currency exchange and getting whatever rate they feel they can charge., plus there is the peace of mind knowing I can make a small purchase without worrying about how to pay.

You can do currency exchange right at check in with Marriott at the front desk, they have good exchange rates as well. 

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I have a Cap One checking account where maintaining a certain balance ($7k?, not sure) eliminates the ATM fees worldwide for up to 12 withdrawals a month, I believe.  ATMs offer the best exchange rate for currency conversion.    Just find the bankomat at the airport. don't accept the DCC option, and get your cash.

I agree with newhiltonmembr that ATM's at foreign big banks overseas (ie, Barclays, Societe Generale, PNB Paribas, HSBC, Deutsche, etc. just to name a few), have the best conversion rate for getting foreign cash.  Airport exchanges, hotels and buying foreign cash at home are the most expensive.  I too bring foreign cash home with me to have immediately on hand for future trips, this time £200 + €200 for next time (and also because the exchange rate was so good).  No foreign transaction fee credit cards are of course the best value, but one also needs some cash.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

That's it exactly, pluto77. I like to have a little cash in my pocket when I arrive. Most of my purchases go on a credit card without foreign transaction fees (like the MR Visa), but having even a small amount of local currency before arriving tends to make things just a slight bit easier (tips, coffee or tea, snacks, etc.).

I agree that changing money at home is often more expensive, but on my last trip to England, I actually ended up getting a better rate at home (not typical, but it made me feel pretty smug for a change ).

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

My daughter has food allergies so we always pack and travel with snacks she can eat, as most of the store bought stuff she can't eat.  As part of that we research our destinations carefully to ensure we can purchase things while out of town.  Generally this has worked out pretty well and we quite often have packed a large suitcase full of goodies for her using the empty bag for random purchases while out of town.  I've found TripAdvisor a pretty good resource asking folks that also travel with food allergies for help. 

When I travel for work, I always take "my brand" of medicines (OTC stuff) and a small pack of baby wipes & Clorox wipes.  You can often find things at pharmacies that are similar in a pinch but I have found carrying a small pharmacy with me has saved me (and at times those around me) a great deal of pain.  Basic kit: alieve/advil/ibuprofen, Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis (650mg tabs for really bad pain), Tums, Imodium, cough drops and Allegra (allergy meds).   Pretty much covers most anything that an OTC would be required for and at 35000' up your own pharmacy, should you need it, is all you got   My coworkers now know I keep stuff in the bag and will come ask for stuff on projects.  Otherwise I've not found anything I had to have from the US that I couldn't find locally.

From the money side, I have a few banks I use but have found that Bank of America has a network of banks abroad they will allow you to use for minimal costs (if any) to access your funds in local currency.  I like the idea of the Fidelity account but between my Marriott card and either purchasing foreign currency prior to departure or getting it out at a BoA sister bank, I've really never had any issues.  I definitely recommend having some pocket money with you when you travel abroad though.  It makes life infinitely easier should you run into a self service kiosk or taxi or drink machine that doesnt take cards (or your type of card).  It's also handy to carry an emergency fund with you in local currency equal to what you might expect to spend for a meal/service + 30% give or take.  The worst case scenario is your card doesn't work or they wait until time to pay to tell you their machine doesn't work.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...