12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2016 11:10 AM by lt.son RSS

What would You Like to See in a Hotel?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

After 50 years of staying in hotels I have made several observations about how I would design one,

1.Lights! I would offer brightly lit rooms where seniors could read comfortably.  Occasionally, Marriott rooms are not adequately lit for reading.

2.I would provide more towel bars in bath rooms.  Often, we have to request clean towels each day because there is no place to hang a wet towel so that it can dry overnight.

3.  I would place thermostats near the bed so that I can set the temperature to a level that I found comfortable.  Last weekend we stayed in a room where the thermostat was against the window.  The thermometer reading was more than 5 degrees cooler than the center of the room.  Since the thermostat could not be set lower than 65 we could not get the room below 70 and we were uncomfortably warm all night.

4. I would offer light blankets instead of warm comforters for those who like to be cool.

5.  I would offer more electrical outlets.  Marriott has improved in this area over the years, but some hotels still come up short.

6.  I would offer larger night stands or use wall mounted lamps to leave more space on the night stand.

7.  I would design a counter that slopes toward the sink so that water does not pool on the counter.

What would you add to (or subtract from) my list?l Rooms

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What would You Like to See in a Hotel?
    7 Gold 1 Reviews

I really like your #5. I often travel with a power strip/surge suppressor just to make sure that isn't a problem for me, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

A great post, and a great list, phctourist. I'm interested to hear what others think, and would be happy to pass the group list on for consideration.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

What would I like to see in my hotel room? You mean other than Halle Berry?

1. Soap bars bigger than a fingernail. I bring my own soap bars because I get tired of losing hotel soap inside the cracks in the floor.

2. More closet space. I stay in rooms sometimes for a very long time. Some rooms have big closets. Some have nearly none.

3. Hose near the toilet. I'm used to the Asian way of washing myself off.

4. Small fridge in the room. Not the minibar but one I can use for my own purposes.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I agree with a lot of these!  Here's my list (which duplicates some of the above):

1.  No resort fees, ever.  Just charge whatever rate is appropriate for the room, and don't nickel and dime us to death with add-on fees.  Or waive the resort fee for elite members.  I HATE RESORT FEES.  THEY ARE JUST SO TACKY, TACKY, TACKY!!!   Sorry, I am yelling here

2.  Free parking for elite members.  And, let me self-park.  I don't always have tips for the valet handy, nor do I enjoy waiting 20 minutes for the valet to retrieve my car.

3.  Yes, more towel racks!

4.  USB ports and more plug-ins, for sure!

5.  Mini-fridges that you can actually use, not minibars.

6.  Extra blankets.

7.  Electronic mechanism for alerting housekeeping that the room is ready to be made up OR to signal that you don't wish to be disturbed (a la Essex House button/light system).  Much better than messing around with flimsy door-hanger signs.

8.  Automated check in like they have at the Grand Hyatt New York at Grand Central - they have kiosks that you can use to check in, and they spit out your room keys so you don't have to stand in line and/or interact with the front desk unless you want to.

9.  Tell the bellmen to lay off.  Hands off my luggage unless I want your help.  And no whining about wheeled luggage getting in the way of the bellmen doing their job.  It's unprofessional and makes everyone uncomfortable.  If I've only got a small wheeled carry-on, I do not want or need a bellman to help me.  And I don't always have cash to tip nor do I enjoy tipping someone who is just getting in my way and slowing me down.

10.  Give us a way to provide tips to staff on our invoice so that we don't have to worry about carrying around cash.   I don't always have cash and very often do not have small bills.  I would love it if I could charge tips for housekeeping, etc., on my hotel invoice so that I don't have the awkward experience of digging out cash, fumbling with my wallet, worrying about having the right type of bills, etc.

11.  Make the mobile app worthwhile.  Right now it really doesn't do much.  The Ritz-Carlton one is pretty good because you can actually order things on it.  Marriott needs to improve its mobile app and ramp up the utility of it!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I really like number 10 and would like to modify my original post to add this one!  Such a feature could include the ability to leave something for the maids that would assure that the amount specified would be equitably distributed among all who had serviced my room during my stay.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Love #10; this would stop that knock on the door at 8:02 in the AM by the housing staff.

My favorite to add: a real coffee-maker, not those stupid pod-cups or single cup pieces of junk.Also, a real, dedicated alarm clock rather than clock radio; those radios are clunky, sometimes  laborious to set the alarm or to correct the time. Lastly, GUARANTEED TV remotes that have working sleep timers.

txnroses Platinum

1.  More Electric Outlets.

2.  FREE PARKING for Elite

3.  Refrigerator in the room - not just a cooler

4.  Remove the motion sensor temp control

chris0311 Platinum

It's 2015...USB ports in the rooms!!! Some of the hotels already have them but it would be nice to see more. I know I take that into consideration for repeat business.

dmn66 Gold 2 Reviews

A mechanically engineered room door that closes without alerting the entire floor! Anyone trying to get some sleep would be grateful in avoiding this alarming "slam shut" announcement throughout the evening.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Agree on resort fees since internet is free for elites why should they pay for resort fees

vickisocal Platinum

Towel bars! I complain about this constantly. You want me to save energy and not wash them daily but there is nowhere to hang them to dry!

Also agree on poorly placed/number of lights.

USB ports on the night stands.

lt.son Gold

This may seem picky, but... Add a "Sound Bar" to the TVs. The crappy built in speakers point down, or backward making it necessary to crank the volume up. I can usually hear the neighbor's TV through the wall as well as the TV in my room. Or, mount small speakers next to each side of the bed with volume and ON/OFF controls.

( My ideal design would be an audio system that the TV, Alarm clock, mobile phone or tablet all plug into. Phone and tablet could select the sound system as output. Phone and tablet would be charged while connected.) Decent speakers (not even great, just decent) pointed toward the listener sound better and (more importantly) allow you to keep the volume lower. I HATE hearing the TV from the next room!

+ 1,000,000 points for moving the thermostat. Put it near the bed, where it can be adjusted easily!

REDESIGN the Marriott App! Right now it is just a mobile front for the website.

As others have said, make it possible to order room service, tip the cleaning staff or valet (Apple Pay, Google Wallet). Use iPhone or Android app as room key (NFC or Bluetooth).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...