9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2015 6:32 AM by brightlybob RSS

Marquis somewhat less than rewarding

CumbrianSteve Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

1. I consider the rewards earning rate for Marriott Marquis to be disproportinately low at 1 night accumulated for every 3 nights stayed abd would suggest that this be raised to 1 night for 2 stayed. Any comment?

2. I think it a bit mean of Marriott not to include money spent on incidentals whilst staying at a Marquis not to be included as 'spend'. Any comments?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marquis somewhat less than rewarding
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Firstly, welcome fellow Brit... Good to have you around.

I think you've got it wrong about Marriott Marquis, the Marquis appendage refers to Marriotts megahotels, supercentral properties with huge numbers of rooms and conferencing facilities. As they are Marriott hotels you earn 1 elite night every night you stay and 10points per $ on rate and incidental spend.

I do know the Marriott Executive Apartments and Execustay have a 1 night in 3 elite qualification rule, and 2.5 points per $ earn rate. Like the 5 points per $ rule for Residence and TownePlace, it seems wrong, but 'dems de rules in Marriotts game of "merry go points", or in Executve Apartment terms, nights! I don't see any change coming here. As for disallowing incidentals, only a minority of Marriotts brands award points on incidentals, they are Marriott, JW, Renaissance, Autograph and Vacation Club. The other 12 brands award points on room rate only, and a particular standout here is the Courtyard brand, now celebrating 1000 hotels that deny elites free breakfast and points on incidentals!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

CumbrianSteve Platinum

Bob,

The Marriott Marquis brand has taken over the Marriott Exec Apartments here in Doha and the 1 night for 3 stayed has remained the same.

That's just plain wrong, Cumbrian. Take it up with CS. Marriotts credit 1 night per night stayed and 10 points per $, both room rate and incidentals. Marquis are a full part of the Marriott brand.

I hope CumbrianSteve that you're chasing this up with Marriotts Plat line. If so, please do return to us with the outcome. Also make sure you've counted your points, 10 per $ for Marriotts. If it's less, and I suspect it is, then raise that with the Plat line too.

My guess is that it's a coding problem, as I understand it each hotel has a code which when typed in awards the points and night credits. If a clerk has been using the old code for the Exec apartments, you'll get 1/3 nights and 1/4 points. It needs correcting!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Your last statement makes a good point. Many MRI complain about CY properties but I think rightfully so. Properties are nothing special usually, have no CL, no Gold/Plat breakfast, often times have high weekday rates, only offer 5 points per dollar on room rate only, and upgrades because of floor plans and design are basically non existent or nothing special. It makes me wonder why people use CY properties as much as they do. My guess, location. Next to large corporate parks, airports, city centers near conference centers, etc.

I agree with every word, except that Courtyards award 10 points per $ on room rates, not 5!

A true oddity of the scheme is that with the full sevice hotels that offer free breakfast to all Golds and Plats and the brands that offer free breakfast as part of the room (Fairfield Inn, Spinghill Suites etc) we have a situation where breakfast is not part of the package for elites only at Marriotts most numerous hotel brand, Courtyard. Oh, and their latest European acquisition, AC!

chris0311 Platinum

I did not know that some hotels did not give points for incidentals. Thanks for the info!

joshm Member

Hello CumbrianSteve, and welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insiders forum!

Like you've already done here, this site is a place to share and converse over a wide array of topics. From travel insights and recommendations to photography and programmatic inquiries, the Insiders forum is a wonderful place to chat with a network of well versed road warriors that are friendly, helpful, and always willing to share their experiences (as brightlybob has done in response to your post )

As you explore the forum and everything it offers, I encourage you to check out our Getting Started Guide. It contains tips and tools for how to optimize your experience with the site! Also, feel free to reach out to me (joshm), lindseyh, or CariJ with questions or concerns. We make up the community management team for the forum.

Concerning your post, I'm going to seek clarity around this topic. I'll follow up with what I find out!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...