9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2015 9:08 AM by nhtraveler RSS

Front Desk Supervisor - Abilities Limited?

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just tried checking in as Platinum early to a Marriott full service landmark property that had plenty of vacancy... but was told that I would be charged an extra night's rate. The Front Desk Supervisor told me that he is not able (powers) to check me in early without incurring an extra night's rate. He said to wait until the manager comes in later in the day.

This is the first time that I've had to checkin early in almost a year. Is it true that Front Desk Supervisors are now no longer able to checkin guests early - or was I just blatantly lied to?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Front Desk Supervisor - Abilities Limited?
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I doubt you were blatantly lied to. What you were told may not have been correct, however.

I have certainly encountered no problems checking in a couple of hours early at any Marriott, however if you're trying to check in at 7am it may well be a lot different, a kind of "computer says it's still yesterday" scenario.

Even if it is a "computer says no" problem I'm sure there's a workaround. I'm even more sure that in an otherwise empty property you could have been checked in, one way or another, assuming your FD clerk had the authority, the training and the inclination...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews

Inclination is what I'm worried about, but there was some amount of vacillation on his part.

Initially, he implied he didn't want to, as he had just checked in another guest at last night's rate (no mention of status).

I then mention that that was because he booked it at that rate. (I've stayed at this hotel dozens of times, and have booked on outrageous rates on average such as $399 pre-tax per night) 

He then offers me last night's room at today's rate ($179). Since the manager is due to arrive in 2 hours, I told him I'll wait.

He then tries to make it seem like it's an abilities issue, that he actually can't check me in and that we have to wait several hours for the manager.

I don't think he even pulled up my reservation or even checked my status. It felt kind of like I was discriminated against just by the way I look. :-( 

If the hotel was at (or close to) capacity last night, or is tonight I could understand the clerks resistance to messing about with what could be a delicate room-balancing act. If not, then to my mind he needs to find a way to say yes.

What you're describing is not the Marriott way. Not at all! I'd ask to speak to a supervisor...

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews

This was the front desk supervisor saying that he had rooms available but I'd have to pay an extra night for last night checking in today. I was baffled at how the manager would arrive in 2 hours (to theoretically make this possible) and that the supervisor appeared at first unwilling then explained that it was because he did not have the abilities (power). So I do wonder ...

It really felt like he was trying to sell me an extra night. The whole encounter just seemed off.

Oh, right, so that's the supervisor. And the supervisor doesn't have the power to make it happen in a nowhere-near-capacity hotel. And it's a  2-hour wait for the manager?

So which is the hotel concerned and what time did you try and checkin?

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews

Lounged about and came downstairs again. Was told the manager arrived an hour early and that he would honor the early checkin but that for next time, be aware that normal checkin time is 4pm.

The front desk supervisor then explained that there was a date rollover going on - and that I would be automatically charged an extra night and that it would be at his discretion to waive it. He then clarified that he didn't want to do that.

The time difference is so little it seemed ridiculous but fortunately I'm checked in now... Albeit to a tiny room - and not my usual suite. They definitely had suite ability, online but they claimed that they were out . The manager also said that  they were actually at capacity - contrary to what the front desk supervisor said.

i really wish that they could at least stick to facts...

chris0311 Platinum

Honestly I think you may have just ran into a bad supervisor. I have never had a problem checking in early. In fact if I had to ball park it I check in early 90% of the time. The worst I have ever gotten was "I am sorry sir but your room is not ready yet, we will put on rush on the cleaning for you". I usually arrive super early as well, 11am or noon, never an issue and this is around the world. If I were you I would skip that property and find another Marriott.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

May we know at what time you asked to be checked in? If there was no supervisor or manager at the time I can only assume it must have been extremely early

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Yosof - While my problem is usually the opposite of yours - checking in really late and never getting an upgrade because they have already been given out - the few times I've been really early, I've never been denied check-in. The room may not yet be available, but I'm given some documentation so that I can go to the restaurant, lounge, etc. and bill things to my hotel account. I'm not sure from your post if they were totally denying you the ability to check in, or just the ability to access your room. If the first, that, to me, is not an acceptable way of handling your situation. If it's just the room, I can understand it as, even if they had a lot of vacancies, it may have been a matter of coordinating things with housekeeping, for example.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...